Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer Creek report 9-7-04
Mist was coming off the water as we were racing across the lake at 6:30 this morning, it was pretty cool.

We caught about 40 smallies. Me, HuntN4bass, and his California infiltator friend. Water temps ran from 60 to 64 degrees.

HuntN accidently threw his tube on the bank and some ugly looking gooney bird(probably a young seagull) picked it up. I kept yellin' for him to set the hook, but he didn't. The winged creature did fly away with his tube. A little w... then it blew big time after we trailered Predators new boat.

We marked a ton of fish deep in 25-45 feet of water, but we didn't bring heavy enough jigs or crawlers.
[signature]
Thanks for the report, any size to the smallies? Did you see any walleye fisherman out there? I haven't heard any reports lately about any Eyes being caught so I was just wondering. WH2
[signature]
[#804000]You kidding me, we were at Deer Creek. There ain't no size there. I wished we could of hook some of the deep ones. My best guess is they were walleyes/smallies. [/#804000]
[signature]
I have never fished Deer Creek much at all . Maybe 8 hours total in the last 20 years , but did hook a 16" smallie about 16 years ago . I put it back , so it should be bigger now . LOL Really I did . One of these day I need to fish it .
[signature]
i can at least verify there use to be some good smallies in deer creek. i even caught a 3 or 4 lbs largemouth out of there a few years back. perhaps everything has changed now.
[signature]
I have also caught some good sized SMB and LMB at the Creek, but not lately. I think it has a lot to do with the drought and perch numbers. I remember when there were numbers of bigger fish in the creek, the perch population was also doing excellent.

Lower water, Less habitat, Less food, Less big fish.
[signature]
my dad caught a jumbo largemouth out of the creek. it went almost 6lbs. we released it. but i think that all of the big largies were taken out while gill netting for the walleyes a while back.
catfish joe
[signature]
This May or June I caught two largies at DC that were 3 - 4 lbs. each approximately, on a smoke sparkle senko. They were both safely released. They're still in there, just in small numbers I think. Just wait till the res fills back up. If you notice the Midway end where it used to be sand there is now lots of weeds, brush and even some trees growing, so that'll provide some great cover once it fills back up. Perch numbers will climb again, then the bass and walleye will follow, assuming of course it ever does get that full again.
[signature]