Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Caught a few today
Well, I finally broke the ice. I took the boat over to the inlet this morning, and finally caught some fish. I guess the water is finally getting warm enough. It sure did take long enough. We went just outside the jetties, it was a little rough, but not too bad. I dropped a chum bag in the water and it wasn't long a school of Menhaden popped up all around the boat. It was great. We caught numerous sharks right along the rocks. The largest was about 5 foot long. We tried for drum and flounder, but not even a nibble the live mud minnows. My father in law caught a huge spiny dogfish. Seriously, it weighed 10.4 pounds. 1 pound away from a state record. I'm going to post the picture maybe tomorrow. I also caught one hell of a wind burn. Is it just me, or does wind burn hurt worse than a sun burn?[cool]
[signature]
Here's that dogfish I promised

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=15188;]
[signature]
thats one fine lookin hot dog, Pass the mustard....

so what do you use to get the hook out of his mouth?

When day did you catch him? "Date"

and lastly did you get a ruler and a bft logo in the picture?
[signature]
Believe it or not, "dogfish" have no teeth. They have a rough pallat similar to what a catfish has; so I took the hook out bare handed.[cool]

He caught that fish 2 days ago, What day was that, the 2nd of April? It was Sunday when we were fishing.

I wish I would have had a BFT hat or something for him to put on. I got a package with a few things, but no regular hats. I got a beaney, but it was too hot for that. As for the ruler, I usually keep a ruler on both my boats, one like tailors would use, but I can't find either one.

Instead of "pass the mustard," it's going to be "pass the tarter sauce." That guy got the knife. I've never tried Dogfish, so I figured i'd introduce him to my charbroil. [cool]
[signature]
Speaking of hats, I heard from a little birdy (tubeN2) there might be a couple of those red BFT hats floating around. He said I might be able to send a box of chocolates or flowers or something and get one or two.[cool]
[signature]
I dont have any more hats.

I got just enough of them last year for last years fishing contest. I dont even have one for my self. I dont wear base ball caps any more. I needed a little more shade for my ears since I started wearing my hair on the stubble side.

I can tell you that they are top of the line hats. you might try the gift shop. I

the dog fish around here dont have any teeth eather, but ours bark like a dog and they are as slimey as bucket of melted butter.
[signature]
These aren't slimy, they are as rough as any shark. I can vouch for that too, when I was trying to get the hook out of that things mouth, he kept twisting around on me. So, I parked his tail between my legs to help hold him still (big mistake) while I got it out. It looked like someone took 80 grit sandpaper and went to work on the inside of my legs. The thing that gives them away is their eyes. They have weird looking eyes. Other than that, the fillets of meat were pretty and white. I think it'll be pretty good.

I was going to check out the gift shop next. I've got to have 6 hats total, that covers parents and inlaws, wife, little boy, and me.
[signature]
The gift shop says there are no hats availible. When do you suppose they will get more in? I'd like to have atleast 3 to cover everyone that normally goes fishing with me, including myself. [cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]You're a man after me own heart. I have had a lot of fishing trips where small sharks provided all the action I could want. I have fished mostly the west coast, and the spiny dogfish is also plentiful there. Sometimes too plentiful and you can't get a bait to other more "desirable species". I have had to move the boat at times to get out of them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]They are good eating. Just bleed them out as soon as you catch them and get them on ice. Shark flesh is delicate and spoils more quickly because they don't have kidneys to get rid of the wastes in their flesh. Good flesh for grilling, frying or baking.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]On the west coast, back in WWII days, there was a lot of dogfish flesh sold as cod or other finned fish when fish was in short supply.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
They do the same thing over on this side of the hill as well. You'll get 1.25 a pound for shark in the 3 to 4 foot range. I've actually watched a seafood market in the local area take the sharks I brought them in the back, fillet and skin them, and take cookie cutters of different sizes and pop out little "scallops." Atleast that's what they sold them for. 1.25 a pound into 6.00 dollars a pound, that aint' no bad deal. But only certain sizes and species of shark would do. They liked black tip and regular old sand sharks. Dogfish have kinda a "corse" meat I guess you'd call it, not like some other sharks.

The first thing I did when we caught that shark, after pictures, was cut his throat and hang him over the side to flop out the blood and chum at the same time. Then I fillet him right on spot and put the fillets in the cooler. They are froze in a ball of water right now, I was thinking about cooking them later on in the week.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Over on the west coast they use skates and rays a lot for "cookie cutter scallops". Actually, those beasts are pretty good stuff. There is also the shovelnose guitarfish, a member of the ray family...also called shovelnose shark...and it is good eating too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One of our prizes in the west is the leopard shark. They are a small species but will reach 6 feet and thirty or forty pounds. They have teeth, they bite readily and they fight hard. Best of all, they are great eating. Pretty too.[/#0000ff]
[Image: LeopardSharkA.jpg05DCCEED-DDCE-467C-9FE3...gLarge.jpg]
[signature]