Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
12-2 Scofield
With BLM's report on the ice conditions around Woodruff, we made a quick change in plans and took our chances in heading to Scofield. Found the ice in the dam arm to be about 3 inches thick, so we ventured out and started fishing. I took honors with the first fish, which ended up being the largest fish of the day -- a chunky 19 inch rainbow. We fished in about 25 feet of water, which seemed to be the constant depth, except right next to the shoreline. Most of the fish caught were right on the bottom. We caught lots of small (4 to 7 inch) rainbows (they would come by in huge schools) and enough larger ones to keep it interesting. Billy landed one tiger trout of about 15 inches. Tipping small jigs with either a meal worm or a chunk of crawler worked the best. Tipping with minnow got a few bites, but not many. One guy went across the main body of the lake on a snowmobile, which seemed extremely risky to me. It was a pleasure to meet and fish with fairwayphilly, and enjoyable to get out with Fishhound and Tincanfsh again.
[signature]
Nice report Kent. Did you guys swing by Huntington?
[signature]
No, because attempting to fish in deep slush at Huntington was too fresh in Billy's and my memories!
[signature]
Snowmobiles will run on water, if they're going fast enough. It doesn't mean that they'll float once they stop though.[Wink][Tongue][crazy]

Fishrmn
[black][size 3]It was a great day on the ice Kent,[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I also enjoyed the your company and that of Tincanfish, and Fairwayphilly. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I thought the fishing was great - although as you pointed out, the bulk of the catching was a little on the little side - at least it was for me. However, we all did get to take home some fillet worthy table fare - mine are still frozen solid from the rather fridgid temperatures on the ice that we had. They are defrosting, but, I think it was colder there on the ice than in my freezer.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Although the ice was thick enough to feel somewhat safe, there were a few pucker moments that reminded me that it is still early in the year and that we should all try to be safe out there on the ice.[/size][/black]
[signature]
Thanks for the report Kent,I also have memories of deep slush at Huntington[Sad]
[signature]
[cool]I KNEW IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I knew (and even predicted somewhere on here, I think) that Scofield would have some safe ice this weekend. Glad you guys got out there, kent, and that the fishing was good. My favorite place there is just past where you guys were at "the shacks." Don't know if the ice would have been thick enough there yet, but I guarantee it will be within a few days. 'Da berry will have safe ice at a few of the bays VERY quickly...
[signature]
After fishing, we took a quick drive past "The shacks" and there were holes drilled all the way along the highway. The point south of the shacks had a huge pressure ridge that went across the reservoir to the west.
[signature]
I think that is the biggest Tiger Trout that I have heard coming out of Scofield, nice job! It would seem the Tigers are getting along nicely up there. Last year inthe fall when they were planted I think they were only like 3-5 inches long, that's some nice growth. Maybe, just maybe Scofield will produce the new State record some day.
[signature]