Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trolling Motor Help?
I just got a used bass boat and realized there is a broken cable. Its the cable at the foot pedal that steers the trolling motor. I'd like to find the part myself and replace it but I have no idea what to search for? My trolling motor is a motor guide 7109V. Any help at all would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
[signature]
Is it a cable steer or electric steer?
[signature]
Good question - I don't know. Would a photo tell you the answer to that? Thanks for the reply!
[signature]
Yes, a photo may help. However, to know for sure, just look at the connection from the foot control to the motor itslelf. If you see a large, thick, and hard cable, say 6-7 feet long, it is a cable steer. If you see thin electric wires that are much longer (but may be short) it is electric.
[signature]
Okay - not the best photo but here's what we're looking at. From your description, it sounds like an electrical wire?
[signature]
I can't tell anything from the picture, I just see a black circle and small piece of wire.

Where is the cable ripped or disconnected. Tell me more details about the problem, and try to get a few close-up shots of where the problems is. This way we will know what we are working with.
[signature]
The circle is a quarter. Its disconnected at the foot pedal. Sorry about the quality of the picture, my digi camera is charging and i'll post a new one asap.
[signature]
That's great. Get a picture of the disconnection and we will go from there.
[signature]
[Image: 077sm.jpg]
This is the severed end of the cable.

[Image: 078sm.jpg]
Here it is, laying on top of the foot pedal. It has a ball on the non-severed end that slips into a hole beneath the black flap on top of the pedal that makes the prop spin..(i don't know the technical term).
[Image: 076sm.jpg]
From what I can figure, the severed end should connect on the underside of the foot pedal, probably right above where you can see it sticking up in this photo.
[Image: 075sm.jpg]
This photo shows the cable threaded through the hole underneath the flap.

Sorry for the vagueness on this - I am a girl [Wink] and don't know too much about boats. I just happen to be more tech-savvy than sig-oth, so he asked me to help him out here. Please let me know if none of this makes sense. I'm kind of new to posting here!

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help.
[signature]
You are doing a great job! You took good pictures, from which I can see that this is a cable steer and the proplem is also visible. I have never used MotorGuide, just MinnKota, but the design is probably similar.

Before you go any further, please make sure that this motor is disconnected from the battery and that it is in the off or neutral position, however it is on MotorGuide. The last thing you want is for the prop to start spinning, and you not being to familiar with this boat yet, I don't know what safety features MotorGuide has.

Now we need some pictures of the underside of the pedal, so that we can see exactly where it is connected to and to which parts. This way, we can find out if the cable is actually split somewhere, or if this severed end is inserted into another part. After you have made sure the electricity is disconnected and the motor is in off, try and see if you can lift the control plate up anymore, or if you yourself can see the connections under there.

If this is not possible, there must be a way to gain access to the area we want to find out about. So, before doing this it would be a good idea to check if the motor is under warranty-it probably isn't since it is a used boat-or check to see on the bill of sale or whatever you have if it says that the trolling motor works.

Try to find out if the severed end is ripped out of something or if the cable is just severed. On MinnKota cable steers, the cable is not insered into anyghing. It just rolls around a specail disk that pulls the cable in and out, depending on the foot action. Lets see if it is the same with your motor.
[signature]
[Image: 031sm.jpg] The top bolt is where the problem is - you can't see it really well but i've threaded the broken cable through here and it should be fed into that top bolt, like the one on the bottom.

[Image: 024sm.jpg] This is just another pic of the underside of the foot pedal -

Okay - here's the photos of the underside of the pedal. DH was able to get the entire cable off and its about 64 or 65" or so. Its an encased wire cable.

Hopefully this is getting descriptive enough! [Wink]
[signature]
Alright. Now we know the exact problem. Okay then, that bolt, you should be able to us a wrench and get it out. See how the connection is in there.

**I would spray some WD-40 before getting it out. We don't know how the prevous owner maintained his equipment, so just spray some. I don't know if that plate is plastic or metal either. You just never know with MotorGuide.

Is the cable ripped or severed, or does it wrap around or attach to something inside the bolt there.

This is good news. Once you find out what is inside the bolt, I think it will be an easy fix.
[signature]
My husband detatched the cable completely. It looks to us like the black tubing is simply housing for the severed cable. This photo only has the black tubing and the broken end of the cable - the other part of the wire wouldn't curl up nicely like this so I couldn't get it in the shot, but it looks just the same as the broken end, only much longer.
[Image: 032.jpg]
He said is a steering cable. I don't know how else to describe it other than it really looks like somehow the wire got severed at or near the pulley. We pulled the wire entirely out of the black housing, which is in-tact fine. We think we've found a possible replacement cable but we're waiting for a response from the dealer, so in the meantime, we're just trying to shop around to see if anywhere locally might carry it. We don't know if its a commonly replaced part, or if its special order. Also, is a generic okay or do you think this must be a Motor Guide part in order to work correctly?
[signature]
I really don't know for MotorGuide. I would guess that it is special order, and these parts can cost aot of money. I don't know what metal material MotorGuide uses either. MinnKotas rarely have trouble on the cable steers. If I remember correctly, they are warranted for life, along with the shaft.

Are you going to just replace the whole cable, or thread it around there in the bolt, however it is in there?
[signature]
[#000000][size 4]I'm not sure you can find the part you are looking for, but you might check the attached site or other sources of spare parts listed under "Motorguide parts lists" found on the net.[/size][/#000000]
[size 4][/size]
[size 4][url "http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/index.php?cPath=45_34"]http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/index.php?cPath=45_34[/url][/size]
[size 4][/size]
[signature]