Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shorefishing Lake Mead
Right,

What I am really looking for are a few places to go fishing at that are relatively out of the way. I don't mind driving 30 minutes on a dirt road or walking a while.

I'm not concerned about Stripers, just about catching fish.
[Wink]So, if anyone here can help me out, I'd appreciate it.
First let me welcome you to the bft boards TheBlackAdder! Its good to have you here!

We've got a couple of guys on the boards here that are familiar with lake mead shorefishin . .

first im no expert at lake mead, thats for sure . . . but my place to go is actually mohave, go like you're going to cottonwood cove, then take the utility road a mile or two before you hit the cove, go down that dirt road, and you'll see small roads leading to the lake . . one is a spot to launch waveriders. you dont want that one . . . i have got bluegills and catfish along the shoreline here, with nobody else around . . .

i believe up near the overton arm is the better shorefishin at mead . .but ill let some of the other guys sound off . . 2nakiller, nighthawk!

sm

ps are you taking kids fishin? if so ive got some other recommendations . .
[signature]
heres a couple of posts where antishappy was catching a bunch of cats shorefishing mead . . click below to read his thread! go down about 8 posts from the top, he gives directions about 10 posts down . .

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=46636"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=46636[/url]

hope this helps!

sm
[signature]
hey this is ant ishappy i registered now. but i think i got yer email i will email back today with more specific directions, im heading to the lake tonight to fish
[signature]
send theblackadder a pm with directions! thanks . .

and great to have you here [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?username=96Accordex;"][size 1]96Accordex [/size][/url]! [Wink]

sm
[signature]
I was fishing Mead last fall, East of Saddle Island near the shore there were several coves with people fishing from the shore when a big spot of Stripers began boiling within casting distance from shore. I managed to pull about 10 fish from this group in about 20 minutes while one guy casting from shore got twice that many easily, when the fish came up boiling he was closer to them and I stayed well off the fish as to not spook them. I was able to pick fish off the outside of the school. Try a 1 ounce Kastmaster or Crocodile, they were slamming 'em on the retrive. I think early in the day is better during this time of year.

I was at the Lake Saturday with the family and surface Temps were in the high 70's we didn't fish but the cove we were swimming in was loaded with small Bass.
[signature]
Hey TheBlackAdder welcome to the Nevada Boards.

I just wanted to welcome you to one of the best fishing websites you will ever see. Lots of information for anyone wanting to fish the area. I don't fish the area of lake Mead. I do know of several areas that people have told me about shore fishing. These places were areas that used to be under water but now are above the water line at about 65 feet. The Overton Arm area was a good sopt to shore fish. There are several dirt roads that will lead you to the shores of Lake Mead. Coming down from the town of Overton there is a community that people live at. You can fish there. Calville Bay has several areas that pople fised also. Just north of the bay there area trails that leed to to the beaches where you can fish. I would even try the Las Vegas Wash area. There is governmet Wash just north of the Old Vegas Wash area. Plenty of places to fish off shore there. You can even try the Arizona side of the lake from Mead View Kingman Wash Lee's Ferry including Peirces Ferry. I don't think I spelled it right. These areas are in the upper Colorado River and Lake Mead area. Just below the Grand Canyon. There are lots of shore fishing there. Below Hoover Dam there area several places like Cottonwood Cove just out of Searchlight. Nelson's Landing and Eldorado Canyon. Tere is a power line road into Lake Mohave that you can take to the lake that I know has some trout, strippers and catfish.

Got to go see you later
[signature]
that should be a good start! i go to the mountains in utah to 'get away from people' usually . .

anybody else got any shore fishin', out of the way places to share?

[Wink]

thanks

sm
[signature]
Well, I think the Gov. wash is where I'll go. I have a map of it here http://www.riverlakes.com/boulder.htm that I found online.

are there more access roads to the lake than this map shows??
[signature]
ok well i i went to las vegas wash again... lots and lots of cat! two stripers on a rainbow trout rapala Lure. It was fun, i decided to try box car cove...haha.. i got my car stuck in the sand that was a pain for an hour!...so i just left, oh yeah i got pulled over too for my headlights being pointed up ward......
[signature]
well at least you caught some fish! [unsure] [unimpressed] [sly] [shocked] [mad] [crazy]

i caught nothing 2 months ago at minersville res in utah, stuck my car in the loose gravel by the lake . .. i had to climb a mile, with 1000 feet of elevation so my cell phone would work to call AAA, the guy got there fast, and he said "well its free for your AAA for the mileage, buit to get you on the road (25 feet) its gonna cost $63 bucks!" [mad] [crazy] [Tongue] [pirate]

100 miles later i caught a nice 17" brownie !

oh well . ..

thanks for the report, and better luck all around next time!

sm
[signature]
ya should have told him you was coon hunting. [sly]

ya cant miss a red neck coon hunter going down the road, one high beem pointed up in the trees tops...LOL

now if you was a blond you could have told him you was window shopping...[laugh]

have ya been able to get back out on the water at all latley?
[signature]