Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
03/29/2011
Hello folks,

On the water at 33 hole by 3:30pm. Mostly went out to play with the new electronics and start tuning up my boat setup. So I netted 6 or 7 shad and then started cruising looking for fish on the radar. I didn't even put a line in, just cruised looking for fish on the radar. Pretty much covered the whole government wash area. Lotsa clouds of shad and I saw a pretty tight ball twice, but I only marked single fish. Never saw more than 2 or 3 on the graph at once and those were sparse.

A couple of the shad were looking almost dead so I stopped to fish before they all went belly up. I cut up and chummed the dead ones. I drop shotted a live shad about 3 ft off the bottom and within an hour I had two nice fat little stripers and was out of shad. It was getting late so I decided to try a bit of trolling. Missed a nice hit and finally located 5 or so fish on the depth finder and threw the fly rod at them. I got one nice strike on a grey and white clouser which I missed as well. It was getting pretty dark at this point so I packed it in.

I saw one of the most beautiful sunsets of my life yesterday. I took several pictures, but the colors didn't come through on the camera like in real life. Absolutely gorgeous.

EDIT>> I wanted to give Iamthesmf credit for the gray/white clouser. He gave it to me at the cleanup this weekend. I meant to do it earlier but I was typing quick 'cuz I was running late for work.

Later,
Mark
[signature]
[cool]Nice to hear that you got one on the fly. I hope to head out there next week. Were you using a sinking line or a sink tip to reach them with the fly? My 6 weight is dying to go out.
[signature]
Nice report glad you got out and got some fish [cool] and got a chance to flick your fairy wand around without me gettin in your way lol. How deep were you when dropshottin the shad?
[signature]
Fly rod is an 8wt with a LC-13 lead core shooting head. Sinks like a rock... and I mean it.. goes down fast. I was almost vertical jigging the clouser when I got the strike. I have never done this before but I will definately try it some more. Smile

I was in 40 to 50 feet of water, drifting slowly in the wind. I was pretty near the lighted bouy that leads into the government wash launch area when I caught both fish.

Mark
[signature]
I hooked into a striper right at that buoy a couple weeks ago and then drifted right into govt with live shad and didnt get anything else. I usually hook my live shad with a carolina rig if Im getting them deep. I like free lining the big gizzards though. I have never thought of hooking it up like a drop shot rig, might have to try that.

The fly action sounds really fun. I just bought a 5wt White RIver combo a couple months ago and tried it a few times at Lorenzi by my house. Needless to say I cant cast worth a sh^% yet but Im watching youtube videos and practicing up for my summer trout action in utah. Flyfishing looks easier than it really is. I cant wait to catch my first fish on flyrod. Im excited about it. Cant imagine how a striper would feel on one. Smile
[signature]
If we ever get together I can get ya casting pretty fast. It's not that hard once you learn to slow down and let the rod do the work. This may sound silly but if you practice keep your practice sessions down to 15 minutes for a while. If you get tired you will "cheat" and teach yourself wrong. I was told this when I first started casting years back and it worked. Also works for pretty much anything new that you do Smile.

Later,
Mark
[signature]
yeah, that would be great. Ill be in utah saturday but Im sure Ill run into you out there in the wash before too long. Ill start bringin my flyrod just in case[cool]
[signature]