Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishin' 10-21-2016
The forums are dead... No one posting anymore. Of course if it is about Mead I can see why. What a dead fishery these days not counting Stripers.

Hit Mead for the first time in over 2 months Friday. Stripers being the target since I was feeling the need for a fresh meal and some smoked goodies.

Bait was so so. Took a while but got all I needed in a hour or so in the usual spots. Shallow up in there. Multiple times I had to walk to the back of the boat to get the front to rise enough to get the trolling motor clear of mud and me moving. All the bait caught was on the small side. The Stripers didn't seem to care. Caught 17 by 10:30 and called it. Exactly what I needed. 14 for the smoker and 3 to eat. Turned the remaining bait loose, put all the Striper stuff away and went on my way to see if a LMB/SMB might be about. Not one nibble. I didn't even see any LMB/SMB bigger than 6 inches visually anywhere. Left the lake sometime between 1400-1500. The weather sure was awesome. Shorts and no jacket still even before sunrise. Can't beat that in October. If I remember right the water temp was 71 at sunrise. I think anyways.

At the ramp I talked a ranger for a while and he said all the same to me. What he has been hearing from everyone in general. Zip, nada, etc LMB/SMB wise.

Most of the Stripers caught where on the skinny side too.

Anyways... They still taste good [Wink] Made a semi "complex" batter for them that I haven't used before and the outcome was the best Stripers to come out of the deep fat fryer ever. Extremely happy with my new batter. I changed my temp on the smoker down a little for this batch and again the best ever. So new temp wrote down from here on for Stripers. Then a pound of the smoked fish got turned into a cream cheese based dip. Good weekend of munching and I am quite popular at work this week [cool]

Tom
[signature]
Nice report Tom, sure sounds like you have those stripers dialed in. Were you fishing by yourself on this trip?
[signature]
Solo trip. With school going the girls can't go on a Friday. Sure made some of the catches interesting. The first bite ended up being a double. Landed both. Had several other doubles throughout the morning just to keep me on my toes.

Tom
[signature]
When you say a double, I guess you are talking about a fish being caught on two different rods, not two fish on the same rod? Either way, thats a hand full for one person. Have you seen this months photo contest:
http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...ead#unread
Hopefully you can get a pic posted for the contest.
[signature]
Nice report. I went out Sunday afternoon for the first time since early July. Launched from Temple Bar, that launch ramp is in terrible shape, you literally need to back your boat between construction barricades, because 3/4 of the ramp isn't paved at the water.

Hit all the usual spots that hold LMB and got zero. 2 bites all afternoon and both came off... Doh! Brutal. There was that weird weather system blowing through that day, so maybe that was part of the problem too.
[signature]