Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ditch Fishing - August 8, '06
Didn't feel like driving down to the Marsh tonight, so I went to a tiny ditch I scouted out earlier in the year that I thought might be promising...it's still showing signs of good things to come.

air temp - 69
humidity - 80%
wind - N 3mph
barometer - 30.18
water clarity - turbid, visibility 6"

sky - intermittent clouds and a fantastic sunset.
Started out with my super ultralite rod and 4lb. test with a 1/32 oz. tube jig...had a few small fish follow it in, so swapped out my black and chartreuse tube for a red/yellow tube and this is what I caught on the first cast after the change of color...

[Image: crappie1.jpg]

Tried to get crappiehunter to go with me tonight, but he couldn't be reached...not too shabby, a 12" crappie on my super ultralite.
No more crappies, caught one miniature bass almost 3" long on the smaller tube, so I switched over to my spinning rod with 6lb. test Red Cajun line and a 3.5" T-rigged weightless tube on a 4/0 Gamagatsu hook...proceded to catch 4 more small bass between 12" and 13"...had a couple good hits but missed, might have been more crappies and I was just rippin' their lips...had a great time and left before the bugs got intense.

Nature Notes: saw 2 great blue herons - one flying alongside my vehicle as I was pulling up to the ditch and the other wading the ditch in search of dinner, loads of 12 banded skimmers and one frisky muskrat.

...all in all, another great time was had by me down by the Kankakee!

[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Ditch Fishing - August 8, '06 - by fish_a_holic - 08-09-2006, 01:55 AM