Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Mead in Late March
Hey All,

My wife and I will be making the trip down from Elko the last week in March. We will hopefully be fishing a couple days then maybe catching a show or something in Vegas before heading back.

While there, I would really like to catch a few stripers. This is the one fish in that lake that I haven't managed to check off my list yet. We will be bringing the kayaks, but I don't have a boat, but could probably find a way to rig my fish finder to the kayak if that would help.

Anywho, I'm wondering if anyone would be willing to give me some tips on where to start. If interested, I'm willing to trade fishing/hunting information for the Elko area. Thanks in advance.
[signature]
[cool]Hey Karl, you can launch at Government Wash. It is an easy drive down to the water. From there you can paddle to 33 hole,the back of Vegas Wash and south down the main channel toward Sunset Overlook. There are plenty of areas to fish. Use lures that imitate shad. Rattletraps and Rapalas work. As far as softbaits, use a darter head jig with a 3-4 inch white paddletail or curlytail bait. Anchovies are the bait of choice if you can't catch any shad. Another spot would be to launch from Henemway harbor and fish towards the wall or out to the islands.Hope this helps. I will pm you later with some hunting questions.
[signature]
Thanks for the tips. What sort of depths do I need to be looking for? Will trolling the rattle traps behind a kayak work, or do I need to get deeper in the water column?

How about the soft baits? Do I vertical jig those over deeper water, or cast/retrieve along structure?

Thanks for the help.
[signature]
[cool] I usually cast and retrieve the rattletrap into the coves, over points and all around submerged islands. When the stripers are after the shad they will stage a little deeper and herd them into coves. As far as trolling, I use a lipped crankbaits that will get down 10-12 feet. I fish the soft plastics all over the place. I start shallow then work deeper casting and retrieving although I will jig it deeper close to the bottom. When I get a fish I will try similar structure and depth to catch more.
[signature]
It wasn't fast and furious, but I did manage to pull a few small stripers out of the Government Wash area with some shad pattern rattle traps. Plus it was really nice to head down south to some t-shirt weather! Thanks for the help.
[signature]
[cool]Nice to hear that you had some luck. It has been slow lately but with the warm weather the bite will pick up. If you have a chance, try to get here when they are boiling. Keep checking the reports from May til September. It varies when they start but they will keep at it for a while. I have seen them boiling in November and early December.
[signature]