Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rod and spinning reel recommendation
[font="Open Sans", sans-serif]I need to replace my rod and spinning reel. I was wondering of some good ones to use for under 100$ I was thinking a pflueger reel with maybe a Shimano or ugly stick rod. i catch mostly catfish,trout, bass and a few other fish. . Any help would be appreciated![/font]

[font="Open Sans", sans-serif]Thanks[/font]
For $100 you should be able to get a decent rod and reel and the ones you mentions are good choices. Do you mainly bait fish, cast lures or both?
Rod and reel options:
rod length and action (5'6", 6', 6.5', 7')(light, medium, heavy)
line type (mono, braid, f/c)
retrieve / gear ratio - how fast a line retrieve do you need for lure speed and long-distance hook sets/ fighting a fish
weight and type(s) of lures to be used (1/32, 1/16, 3/4 oz., etc.) (bottom, mid-depth, surface) or only use live bait
retrieve(s) used: steady cranking, bottom hopping or dragging, twitching mid-depth or on the surface, float fishing
weight of fish you generally catch or that you target (which usually depends on the lake)
depth range and bottom type you fish (3' - 20' or deeper) (rocky, sandy, )
cover type fished (pads - thick or spaced apart, grass, docks, etc.) 

The above are the choices that I have to consider having learned the hard (and expensive) way over many years.
If you fish the same way, for the same species and in the same water, the setup is the same but the above still needs your consideration.