Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kayak DMV question
I just bought the Ascend 133X from Cabela's. I'm going to have an electric trolling motor on it so I will need to get it licensed. My question is should I expect any surprises when I go to the DMV or is the process pretty straight forward?
(03-20-2024, 05:23 AM)Humbadingo Wrote: I just bought the Ascend 133X from Cabela's. I'm going to have an electric trolling motor on it so I will need to get it licensed. My question is should I expect any surprises when I go to the DMV or is the process pretty straight forward?

I had to register my motor, and then register my float tube as well. They give you an ident plate but nowhere on the tube could I mount that. They gave me one for the motor as well, so we put the motor one on its pivot mount. There isn't a drop-down choice for the DMV to put electric so my motor is listed as GAS motor, and my tube is listed as a 14ft boat!... Of course, then you'll also need to do the AIS registration. 

Not sure anyone gets the same story so good luck with the DMV teller knowing just what do with it all. It's a mess, actually. 

Best of luck to ya.
Take the receipt with you. There is a chance that they will want some traceability of ownership of it has a VIN number on it.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
(03-20-2024, 06:04 PM)jjannie Wrote:
(03-20-2024, 05:23 AM)Humbadingo Wrote: I just bought the Ascend 133X from Cabela's. I'm going to have an electric trolling motor on it so I will need to get it licensed. My question is should I expect any surprises when I go to the DMV or is the process pretty straight forward?

I had to register my motor, and then register my float tube as well. They give you an ident plate but nowhere on the tube could I mount that. They gave me one for the motor as well, so we put the motor one on its pivot mount. There isn't a drop-down choice for the DMV to put electric so my motor is listed as GAS motor, and my tube is listed as a 14ft boat!... Of course, then you'll also need to do the AIS registration. 

Not sure anyone gets the same story so good luck with the DMV teller knowing just what do with it all. It's a mess, actually. 

Best of luck to ya.

Thank you for the advice. Luckily there is a Hull ID on my kayak. I will be taking my kayak and motor to the DMV with me incase there are any questions.

(03-21-2024, 09:33 PM)a_bow_nut Wrote: Take the receipt with you. There is a chance that they will want some traceability of ownership of it has a VIN number on it.

Thank you! I plan on taking my receipt and the manufactures bill of origin, and anything else I can think of. I am sure they will need something that I don't have, LOL.
(03-22-2024, 12:31 AM)Humbadingo Wrote:

Best of luck to ya.

Thank you for the advice. Luckily there is a Hull ID on my kayak. I will be taking my kayak and motor to the DMV with me incase there are any questions.

(03-21-2024, 09:33 PM)a_bow_nut Wrote: Take the receipt with you. There is a chance that they will want some traceability of ownership of it has a VIN number on it.

Thank you! I plan on taking my receipt and the manufactures bill of origin, and anything else I can think of. I am sure they will need something that I don't have, LOL.

Good plan so if nothing else they'll at least know you are trying to do the correct things to abide by their regs.
(04-04-2024, 10:47 PM)jjannie Wrote:
(03-22-2024, 12:31 AM)Humbadingo Wrote:

Best of luck to ya.

Good plan so if nothing else they'll at least know you are trying to do the correct things to abide by their regs.

Ok so here was the out come from my DMV visit. 
They said I did not need to title the kayak but did need to register it. I did question this and they said that there was no category to title it and it grayly falls into a motored canoe. 
The motor did not need to be registered or titled as it was electric and under 25hp. When they asked the HP I had to keep explaining that it was rated by LB thrust not HP. I finally googled how much HP was 55lb thrust and it was .84hp. They couldn't put in decimals so they rounded it up to 1hp.  

So:
Kayak with motor: Register, Yes. Title, NO
55lb thrust motor: No registration or title. 

I'm sure the next person trying to register their motored kayak/canoe/float tube will get a completely different outcome. This I am sure of because the clerk kept having to ask other clerks and supervisors on how to proceed with the registration process.
Pretty crazy how they can't make a standard method for licensing a kayak, after all they are the ones that claim if it floats it's a boat, especially when it has a motor.
Lucky you! My title and registrations don't come close to the description of what they are on the tube or the motor registrations. But it is what it is I suppose. Our DMV called the main DMV in SLC who told them how they should handle it since the site they use for issuing anything doesn't have proper drop-down fill fields for either one of them. I.E. the ELEC motor says it a gas motor with 10hp motor, and my tube is a 14ft boat. Craziness really.