Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FG
(04-22-2024, 08:22 PM)Redrebel Wrote:
(04-22-2024, 07:09 PM)BYUHunter Wrote: I'll amend my above statement based on further clarification:

Hanging 250' of line off the back of your boat is asking for trouble. That is 85 yards, 100 feet beyond the legally-required passing distance under power. I can't tell what someone is doing 250' away on their boat, nor do I care. I wouldn't know how to tell that you are fishing steel line.

I'm not saying who's right or who's wrong, but if I had 250' off the back of my boat, I would fully expect someone to snag it, regardless of time of year. Running downriggers with a bit of a setback seems like an excellent way to achieve the same result.

I respectfully say you are wrong. You cannot achieve the same result. You will never be able to achieve the same result that my flatfish will do with the steel line than running a down rigger. You will constantly have a false release and not have the same presentation. Another example of someone not understanding how steel line works. You can argue all you want. Those who don’t like steel line fishing don’t like any of the original fisherman that taught people how to fish the gorge and catch very large fish. 
Comes down to respect. I have fished the gorge for over 15 years and I understand many of the gentlemen on this board are much older than me and the fished longer. However, I became good friends with a guy who is fished up there for over 35 years and 30 of those being paid. He was taught by one of the original steel  Fishman, a gentleman named Bruce. I urge you to reach out to Bruce and Kyle And ask them how they feel about your opinion. I would imagine you will get an earful and tell you to keep your head on a swivel that if you can’t realize what another man is doing when you were 100 feet away from him you might want to put the boat back on the trailer. I will reiterate one last time. The gentleman came by me with the rods, nearly touching, and then they did a sharp left face. It was an idiotic move, and I mentioned it on here to allow other people to understand that you need to be more respectful. I intentionally added it to my report to allow people to see that some people might think that they’re doing the right thing, but in reality you’re not. Just because you have been doing it longer doesn’t mean you are doing it right. 
I can add another example of being a courteous fisherman. I met a gentleman by the name of Travis up at Willard the other day and our rods nearly touched as we passed each other on the structure We were trying to follow. We each talked to each other and  told each other which way we were going as we went by, we appreciated  each other‘s communication. we found out we both like to fish the gorge and we each made a new  fishing friend.

Redrebel- 
  I also fish with steel line at the gorge. Bruce also showed me how to use it and helped me set up for it. Kyle has always passed on helpful info too. I’ve tried jigging but always fallback to my steel for larger fish .
(04-22-2024, 09:25 PM)BYUHunter Wrote:
(04-22-2024, 08:22 PM)Redrebel Wrote:
(04-22-2024, 07:09 PM)BYUHunter Wrote: I'll amend my above statement based on further clarification:

Hanging 250' of line off the back of your boat is asking for trouble. That is 85 yards, 100 feet beyond the legally-required passing distance under power. I can't tell what someone is doing 250' away on their boat, nor do I care. I wouldn't know how to tell that you are fishing steel line.

I'm not saying who's right or who's wrong, but if I had 250' off the back of my boat, I would fully expect someone to snag it, regardless of time of year. Running downriggers with a bit of a setback seems like an excellent way to achieve the same result.

I respectfully say you are wrong. You cannot achieve the same result. You will never be able to achieve the same result that my flatfish will do with the steel line than running a down rigger. You will constantly have a false release and not have the same presentation. Another example of someone not understanding how steel line works. You can argue all you want. Those who don’t like steel line fishing don’t like any of the original fisherman that taught people how to fish the gorge and catch very large fish. 
Comes down to respect. I have fished the gorge for over 15 years and I understand many of the gentlemen on this board are much older than me and the fished longer. However, I became good friends with a guy who is fished up there for over 35 years and 30 of those being paid. He was taught by one of the original steel  Fishman, a gentleman named Bruce. I urge you to reach out to Bruce and Kyle And ask them how they feel about your opinion. I would imagine you will get an earful and tell you to keep your head on a swivel that if you can’t realize what another man is doing when you were 100 feet away from him you might want to put the boat back on the trailer. I will reiterate one last time. The gentleman came by me with the rods, nearly touching, and then they did a sharp left face. It was an idiotic move, and I mentioned it on here to allow other people to understand that you need to be more respectful. I intentionally added it to my report to allow people to see that some people might think that they’re doing the right thing, but in reality you’re not. Just because you have been doing it longer doesn’t mean you are doing it right. 
I can add another example of being a courteous fisherman. I met a gentleman by the name of Travis up at Willard the other day and our rods nearly touched as we passed each other on the structure We were trying to follow. We each talked to each other and  told each other which way we were going as we went by, we appreciated  each other‘s communication. we found out we both like to fish the gorge and we each made a new  fishing friend.

I couldn't care less about the opinions of Bruce, George, or somebody's cousin twice removed. The reality is that anyone should be able to fish however they want, within the parameters of the law, and as long as they are not creating negative externalities for others. The negative externalities is where long lining comes in:

Nowhere in my comment did I say I am not paying attention to a boat 100' away, I said 250', because in your own words, that is at times the amount of line you have out. If a boat is 250' away from me, I can't tell how they are fishing, nor is it my responsibility to send smoke signals or morse code to try to decipher how they are fishing. Anything 150'+ is a perfectly acceptable passing distance, per the law.

I get that it's your world, and we're all just living in it, but all of your talk of respect seems to be a one way street. You want everybody to respect your long lining and bow and present alms as you pass by, but in your narcissistic world-view fail to realize everyone else has just as much right to be there as you do, using their preferred techniques. Lakes have gotten busier. More people have boats. You can beat your head against the wall all you want about "the way things used to be", but if you're hanging 250' off of the back of your boat, don't come crying and acting surprised that people snag you. It will happen again and again and again. 

"Just because you have been doing it longer doesn't mean you are doing it right". The irony.

A good geometry refresher will show you that my line is not directly 250 feet behind the boat. You were the same gentleman that called out the lake that I was trying to keep quiet on a post and 16 boats showed up the next day. You like to stir the pot. What you don’t understand is Bruce and Kyle’s opinion is what matters. Not yours. Your forgetting to mention all the examples in here that I mentioned how boats (Myself and another) worked together. The gentleman and I that were next to each other at Willard The other day were nowhere within the law. But we were fishing and we understood each other’s territory.
If you see me on the water buyhunter please point your bow in a different direction.
I guess we'll polish it off with a geometry lesson to boot!

If we have a right triangle, as we do in the case of trolling steel line, the math is fairly easy. We'll say "side A" is the depth, in this case 50', because the sink rate of steel line (depending on a variety of factors) is generally 20' per 100' of line. We know the hypotenuse, or "Side C" is the amount of line out, 250', so some simple math tells us that "Side B", the distance behind the boat is 244.949'. 244.949' is greater than 150'.

You're right, I really blew the lid off of the secret honey-hole that is Jordanelle, it's proximity to the Wasatch Front couldn't have had anything to do with it's popularity, or the fact that the context clues in your post were fairly obvious, the only logical conclusion is that it's all my fault for mentioning it on a dying forum that dozens of people read!

I'll point my bow wherever I please, but I do understand your absolute need to try to control the actions of others. Alas, the life of a tyrant without a following....
(04-22-2024, 10:05 PM)BYUHunter Wrote: I guess we'll polish it off with a geometry lesson to boot!

If we have a right triangle, as we do in the case of trolling steel line, the math is fairly easy. We'll say "side A" is the depth, in this case 50', because the sink rate of steel line (depending on a variety of factors) is generally 20' per 100' of line. We know the hypotenuse, or "Side C" is the amount of line out, 250', so some simple math tells us that "Side B", the distance behind the boat is 244.949'. 244.949' is greater than 150'.

You're right, I really blew the lid off of the secret honey-hole that is Jordanelle, it's proximity to the Wasatch Front couldn't have had anything to do with it's popularity, or the fact that the context clues in your post were fairly obvious, the only logical conclusion is that it's all my fault for mentioning it on a dying forum that dozens of people read!

I'll point my bow wherever I please, but I do understand your absolute need to try to control the actions of others. Alas, the life of a tyrant without a following....
You’re missing some key factors in your geometry lesson there. I’m not standing still. I don’t just let the steel line lay there in the water. Do you know how hard that plug is pulling on the line? Is that changing the angle? Again, I’m not trying to be rude when I’m telling everyone respectfully that they’re wrong that just putting a flatfish on a downrigger and setting it back is the same presentation. But you’re absolutely wrong. I’m not going to get into how it’s different because you obviously haven’t been willing to listen to me at this point.
You did blow the lid Off off at Jordanelle. I will take the credit on that mistake. I had multiple BFT ‘s come up to me and say thanks a lot for mentioning how hot the fishing was. I’m guessing your Boat never made it up.
I have zero desire to control another man’s actions. I sacrificed my mind and body for this country so that people can have the freedom to do what they want. I mention these run ins in my reports just to help educate others so we can all get along and fish the way we want to fish.
(04-22-2024, 11:12 PM)Redrebel Wrote:
(04-22-2024, 10:05 PM)BYUHunter Wrote: I guess we'll polish it off with a geometry lesson to boot!

You’re missing some key factors in your geometry lesson there. I’m not standing still. I don’t just let the steel line lay there in the water. Do you know how hard that plug is pulling on the line? Is that changing the angle? Again, I’m not trying to be rude when I’m telling everyone respectfully that they’re wrong that just putting a flatfish on a downrigger and setting it back is the same presentation. But you’re absolutely wrong. I’m not going to get into how it’s different because you obviously haven’t been willing to listen to me at this point.
You did blow the lid Off off at Jordanelle. I will take the credit on that mistake. I had multiple BFT ‘s come up to me and say thanks a lot for mentioning how hot the fishing was. I’m guessing your Boat never made it up.
I have zero desire to control another man’s actions. I sacrificed my mind and body for this country so that people can have the freedom to do what they want. I mention these run ins in my reports just to help educate others so we can all get along and fish the way we want to fish.
 My reference to 800ft was to convey that other boats have no idea how much steel you have out of whether it's straight behind you or curving port or starboard. Being guilty of not understanding the intricacies of long lining is one thing but ignoring it's obvious short comings that lead directly to conflict between fellow fisherman is another.
All should pay attn. and respect others period! Whether downrigging or long lining. I don’t think anybody is saying they or there technique is better than another’s. I know guys that flatline a very long distance behind the boat and riggers cutting close behind will cause issues there as well. 250 feet of wire out, doesn’t mean the lure is that far behind the boat. It has to reach the bottom 100 feet or so deep. So leaving a reasonable amount of space before cutting across another fishers path is not too much to ask. Things will happen but if all pay attn and be respectful. Everybody can fish for what and how they want!

FYI ByuHunter your math on depth per amount of line out , Is seriously flawed!
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
(04-23-2024, 02:06 PM)Mildog Wrote: All should pay attn. and respect others period! Whether downrigging or long lining. I don’t think anybody is saying they or there technique is better than another’s. I know guys that flatline a very long distance behind the boat and riggers cutting close behind will cause issues there as well. 250 feet of wire out, doesn’t mean the lure is that far behind the boat. It has to reach the bottom 100 feet or so deep. So leaving a reasonable amount of space before cutting across another fishers path is not too much to ask. Things will happen but if all pay attn and be respectful. Everybody can fish for what and how they want!

FYI ByuHunter your math on depth per amount of line out , Is seriously flawed!

Then educate me, oh wise one! Grace us with your wisdom, because according to the manufacturer of steel line, that is their calculated sink rate.
If you see a boat trolling in a known lake trout area, swim, anvil , Lynnwood or maybe 100 other places and they have rods instead of downriggers hanging out the side of the boat they are dragging wire. 

Save yourself and them form a headache and give them some space before cutting in behind them.
(04-23-2024, 03:37 PM)nofish2 Wrote: If you see a boat trolling in a known lake trout area, swim, anvil , Lynnwood or maybe 100 other places and they have rods instead of downriggers hanging out the side of the boat they are dragging wire. 

Save yourself and them form a headache and give them some space before cutting in behind them.

Good old common sense! And being situationally aware and not so focused on yourself is not a bad idea and can avoid problems for both boats/anglers! By the way steel line running against downriger wire with weight on it usually means lost downrigger ball!! Another reason to avoid it in the first place!
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
(04-24-2024, 02:06 AM)Mildog Wrote:
(04-23-2024, 03:37 PM)nofish2 Wrote: If you see a boat trolling in a known lake trout area, swim, anvil , Lynnwood or maybe 100 other places and they have rods instead of downriggers hanging out the side of the boat they are dragging wire. 

Good old common sense! And being situationally aware and not so focused on yourself is not a bad idea and can avoid problems for both boats/anglers! By the way steel line running against downriger wire with weight on it usually means lost downrigger ball!! Another reason to avoid it in the first place!

Two great comments. Thank you!!!