Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nc gar
i have recently found a spot down the street from me that held gar and i was just wondering if anybody knew what to use to catch them??
[signature]
[font "Arial"][size 2]Welcome to Big Fish. We have Gar here on the East Coast also. The rivers around me are full of Gars. I have caught some before but do not try to catch them. I was reading an article about taking a nylon rope, unwinding it, so the Gars teeth would hang in it. I am testing this now but have not caught one yet. For the most part getting the Gar to hit something is not the hard part. The hard part is hooking it because the long mouth or bill is hard. The Gars I have caught have been on minnows while fishing for other fish. I have heard that fish guts below a cork works well. Sorry I could not be more help.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Thumbs Up 
(05-23-2004, 11:47 PM)jclark102 Wrote: i have recently found a spot down the street from me that held gar and i was just wondering if anybody knew what to use to catch them??
[signature]

I use to catch a few in Florida but haven't tried here in NC. I used a circle hook with a seel leader and just used any bait I had over like shrimp or pcs of pan fish. Use 20 lb test or better as they will take it for a ride. Good luck.