Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how long did it take you
i've heard that it takes years for some pepole to get their first deer with a bow. I was wonderin how long it took all of you to get your first one with a bow
[signature]
3 years. I started when I was 16. I had alot of older friends who bowhunted and every year that went by since I started hunting at age 12, I would see some of the deer that my friends took with their bows and told myself that is what I want to do. It took me a whole summer to save up enough money to buy a used bow off of a neighbor of mine. I bought new sights,arrows and hunting heads that summer and shot almost every day that I could. After 3 very exciting years in the woods with my bow, and alot of near misses I knew it wouldn't be long before I connected with one. The year I turned 19 I was more determined than ever to take a deer with my bow. Even after all my unsuccessful hunts my friends never picked on me about missing deer, they just tried to give me the best advice they could and I would go out and try again. I had been watching an old grown up field for quite a few seasons, and I figured I would give it another try. There was a strong cold front moving in that night and I figured the deer would move early. Well they did. I wasn't to my stand yet and they were already in the field at 4:00. I snuck back into the woods to circle around them and was able to get out to about 40 yds. away from a nice fat doe. I could not close the distance and figured I was going to get skunked again when suddenly a small spike buck decided he would work his way right to me. He stopped broadside at 20yds. and looked out towards the does, I couldn't ask for a better shot. He went down within a hundred yards of where I shot him. He was only my second buck to date but after that I knew I was hooked for life. So don't be discouraged if it doesn't happen right away if you are serious about it and hunt hard it will happen.
[signature]
good story
[signature]
I'm on my 3rd year of a no archery buck. I only hunt for trophy sized deer so a small easy to kill buck doesn't cut it for me.

I did kill two spike elk my first two years hunting with a bow.
[signature]
I've been reading some of your posts kansasfisher , and I see that your excited about being able to go bowhunting this year !! It is an awsome sport and a very rewarding one also !! But I think your missing the point what makes bowhunting a great sport !! Its not just shooting a big buck , its the time in the woods when the woods are at its most colorful time of year ! It's watching that coon or skunk , digging in the ground for grubs ! Its the time that you spend in a tree stand , thinking on which girl to take to the school dance !! What I'm trying to say is , don't get caught in the ( I got to get a buck or else ) syndrome !!! Go and enjoy the woods at its best , and make memories that last a lifetime !! Oh ya , a doe is a trophy too !!!!!

>
[signature]
well said...

my biggest kick is seeing just how close nature will come to me when I am out there bow hunting.

I wished I had a vidio camera pointed at me when I am out there.. I have had twitter birds land on me land on the shaft of my arow when I was in a full draw. I have had rabits and squrils run over top of me, Has a phesant scrach at my leg and peck for a seed.

I have been caught in a stampeed of running deer when crossing an open feild. I have had deer sneek right up behind me and breath down my neck litteraly....

the thrill of stalking a deer with a bow and walking right on top of them indian style with a recurve.

I could not agree with you more, bagging a big trophy buck is no where near as exciting as the hunt it self. a big buck is just the iceing on the cake.

I can say this because I have taken a trophy buck, there is a lot of work in dragging a neer 400 pound white tail half a mile through the woods.

My next deer I hope to take with a side arm.
[signature]