Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
12/29 Strawberry Report
Fished the Strawberry Marina today with my grandson. Ride up was an adventure, with snow-packed roads from Lambs Canyon all the way to Strawberry. I passed three cars that had spun off in the median around Jordanelle on the way up. Drug everything (Bigfishrule it is much easier when I take my Jetsled along with my ice shack, rather than just my ice shack, also when I use my hand auger instead of the heavy power auger). Drilled a hole and was going to drop my fishfinder down the hole to see how deep the water was and to see if I could see any fish). For some strange reason the fishfinder wouldn't fire up -- it did about an hour later when I tried it again and worked great the rest of the day -- which was fortunate that it did, because it helped me know when to drop down or reel up. Went to rig up a rod for my grandson, only to realize that I had left my tackle box on the shelf in the garage! First time I have ever done that, and hopefully the last. Headed back up the boat ramp to the Marina Store. It was great to have a tackle store next door -- bad news was I spent $30 for $10 of tackle, and still wasn't able to purchase exactly what I needed. After getting rigged up with a spoon and a minnow, dropped the line to the bottom. Twenty seconds later my grandson was reeling in our first fish of the day! Fished in 26 1/2 feet of water until about 1:30 PM and then moved out to 42 feet for an hour and a half. We got 10 fish in the shack (with the wind and snow it was nice to be in a shack today). Considering I didn't have my tackle box, and I also had to use hooks much smaller than I normally would, we did great. Today I caught my first fish on a Maniac, and could have caught more had I had some larger hooks. Fishing not even 1/3 as fast as last Friday but thanks to some tips from MGB I had a much higher percentage hooked this trip out. Here is our largest fish (all were cutts) -- it was just over 22 inches:

[inline "112_1267 (Custom).JPG"]

If you open the "Medium.JPG" you get a better picture.
[signature]
Nice fish Kent! Bummer to forget your stuff.
[signature]
Sounds like a great time. thanks for the report.
[signature]
Nice fish Kent! Glad you where able to take some of my advise and make it work for you. I think HA69 might have started a new tactic with those maniacs.[Smile]

I forgot to mention it is important to take your tackle with you.
[signature]
Thats a nice fish. Glad you got into the fishies. Smile Mind if I post that photo on my website? www.outdoorsgonewild.com?
[signature]
[size 1]"but thanks to some tips from MGB I had a much higher percentage hooked this trip out"[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]Hey MGB how bout sharing some of those tips on how to get a good hook set and missing less fish!!! Thanks![/size]
[size 1][/size]
[signature]
Kent,

Did you catch fish when you moved to the deeper water. Also at what depth were you fishing out there, bottom our suspended higher? Did you move because fishing got slow shallower? Monday when fishing got slow I tried shallower (all the way to 10 feet) and only a little deeper (30 feet). I have not had good success in deeper water.

John
[signature]
If you want to post that fish on your website go for it.
[signature]
Thanks!
[signature]
The fishing had slowed way down at 26 1/2 feet, so I went exploring. I would drill a hole about every twenty feet or so and put the fish finder down. I didn't see a fish until I reached 42 feet, and then I saw some coming through at about 15 feet down. Yes, we caught two fish out at 42 feet, and missed several others. My grandson was using a slip bobber, and I would suspend his offering at about 15 - 20 feet. I would drop mine to the bottom, and reel up if I saw a fish come through above. I was getting bites on the bottom, and we both got bites at 15 to 20 feet.

There were times at both 26 1/2 feet and at 42 feet, when it appeared schools of fish were coming through. The fishfinder would light up and it would be non-stop bites for awhile. It was rare to have a fish come through that didn't bite, and I must say that without a quality fishfinder I wouldn't have caught nearly as many fish.
[signature]
There were a couple of guys who stopped directly off the end of the boat ramp less than ten feet. I asked them if the water was even five feet deep where they were fishing, and was told that it was eight feet deep. I think they were scared to be out on the ice. I wanted to let them know that was a bad place to drill holes to fish, because with the blowing snow someone would probably step in one of their holes later, but I didn't.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Hey, Kent! I guess that makes you the "icehole" police? HA![/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
If it does I didn't represent the "icehole" police force very well. I stepped in an icehole at Strawberry once that was covered with blowing snow, so I know the hazards first hand. I had a scar on my leg for months where the guy I was with hit my shin with a hammer getting my foot free -- which is another story.
[signature]
I like how you termed him as a "guy" and not as a friend. I wouldn't call him a friend after that either.

Maddawg
[signature]
Just a Freudian slip on my part. What happened was my boot was stuck below the ice, and every time I tried to lift it I could feel my boot slipping off of my foot. I suggested that he drill a second hole next to the icehole that my boot was stuck in. I guess trying to make sure he didn't drill into my foot he left about three inches of ice between the two holes. Then in order to break the ice between the two holes he used a hammer to hit the ice bridge. That worked great until the ice broke and I got hit on the shin with the hammer. It wasn't his fault, I was glad to be free and it only hurt for a few hours.
[signature]
lol. Not to laugh at your trubulation but just picturing the site.

Maddawg
[signature]
a few yrs ago chuck aka utwalleye and myself went up and fished right on that boat ramp. big bows cruise that thing. we fished 8 ft and got some huge bows. we fished till 11 pm most of the big fish came after dark.
[signature]
[green][size 2]They used to a prime rib buffet at the lodge on sat nights. Hmm, I be thinking....

Go fishing late in the day. Have a nice dinner. Go fishing after dinner. Hmm...
[/size][/green]

[signature]
Kent-Sounds like a nice day fishing with your Grandson
[signature]
I went up the same day with my dad. Fishing was slow for us (5 hooked in about 2 hours, with none landed).

The highlight of the trip was helping pull a Fritos truck out of a snow bank near the visitor center.
[signature]