Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trolling with Lead core lines ???????
Hello! I am glad to be back on the board again. For some reason I had to re register with a new name after months of trying my old one. Anyways, I just bought a little 16' Aluminum boat and 18 HP motor. I have fished out of it before and I am WAY excited. I need to buy a couple of trolling rigs. Doesn't seem that there are many differences in the rods (clubs[Wink]). There does seem to be a difference in reels. What is recommended for a couple of "leadcore" outfits for fishing deep in the summer? I will eventually try and get a couple small downriggers to use with more regular rods that I can feel the fish fight on. Until then, I need to be able to catch fish. Thanks in advance for the help! Wolverine209
[signature]
Welcome back..

Why not spend a 100 bucks or so on a downrigger now rather than spending it on a leadcore system. Cost will be about the same as I see it by the time you spend for a rod, reel, and enough leadcore to get "deep"..
[signature]
I use a stiff rod and a Penn reel that I got at a garage sale. The family had moved here from the coast where he used it out on the ocean. It's not designed for how I use it but it still works out well for me.
[signature]
First of all welcome back Wolverine, a few questions come to mind with respect to your post: [ol] [li]What type of fish will you be fishing for: macs, kokes, etc.?[/li] [li]What weight of line will you be using? [/li] [li]What is your budget?[/li][/ol]
The rods you will be using are also a consideration. Although lead core line is "colored" and can be helpful in determining depth and the amount of line you have out, I would consider a reel with a line counter. Penn makes great reels in a variety of sizes, as does Daiwa, Shimano, and Cabela's has a series of trolling reels as well. I would consider all of these reels to be fairly reliable. I have Penn and Shimano and they are excellent - very smooth, good drags, and are made with quality componenants. I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but if you can determine what you will be using them for, and match them up with your rods and your budget - you will be able to make a more informed decision on your purchase. Good luck in your new rig and fish-on!
[signature]
Don't waste your money on a wire rig. Buy the downrigger now.

The reel will cost 50 min. up to 100. The rod another 35 to 100. (35 for a stick, up to 100 for a nice rod.) Then there is the line. Your into it a min of 100.

There are $120 down riggers that will do the job fine for a boat like yours. The cannon sport troll the Scotty depth master and the Walker Lake Master. Of the three I have used the walker and cannon. I prefered the walker.

You do not need downrigger rods to fish down riggers. I have had several kinds of down rigger rods , but i usally choose to use my regular spinning or casting gear.

If cost is a real issue that is another reason to gear up with a rigger. You can fish 2 rods off a single rigger, they call it stacking.

The last and best reason to go riggers is CONTROL. With lead you "Hear" they are 6 colors down. You try to duplicate it.

With riggers you lower the balls to the depth you are marking on the finder and start trying to figure them out. With a wide anglr finder you can clearly see the ball line on the sounder. With riggers you can quickly change the depth of your lures and know what change you made.
[signature]
hey there wolverine if you are serius about lead core got a couple rod reel combos withlead core on reels gathering dust let you have the pair for 50 bucks if you are interisted drop a line
[signature]
Hey wolverine209, I have a pen 209 reel and a 7 foot rod. I love the setup. I have caught tons of fish with leadcore lines. It is the way to go on some lakes. The brown you see in my signature was caught on leadcore and I have caught many more that big and many bigger on leadcore. I wish I could get a boat, congrats on the new ride. 2 more years and I WILL have a tracker Targa!!!![Wink] As for feeling fish the setup I use allows you to feel all the action, just don't by a rod that has a too heavy action, mine is a medium weight and it is sweet(uglystick).
[signature]
There is a time and place for lead core and you can get a new set up fairly cheap. I would go for a used set if you can get them as cheap as the ones that Bigbuck is selling. If used trolling equipment won't do and you aren't in a hurry you can buy a decent pole for 10 to 20 dollars, I bought one last week at the Sportmans expo for $10. I like level wind reels like the 209 Penn but there again you can buy a decent reel with a different brand name for 30 to 45 dollars. I bought two last year one for $30 and a better one for $35, for $45 there was one with a line counter. I bought the cheaper model at Garts and the better one with the line counter at Smith and Edwards. You can buy lead core line for $12 to $20. Keep you eyes open and look for sales, they are out there, Wally World has been dumping a lot of last years stuff lately. The guys have given you a lot of good ideas also, I hope you find what you are looking for. WH2
[signature]
Thanks for the offers guys!

I want the leadcore now so that I can still fish, but save up to put a nice fish finder and some downriggers on my boat. I don't want downriggers until I have a fishfinder (so I don't loose everything on the bottom of the lake). I won't be in a position to do this until next year after tax returns.

I will be interested in trolling lakes such as Strawberry, Jordenelle, Rockport, East Canyon, Current Creek Res, and possibly Flaming Gorge. Mainly trout, definitely interested in Kokanee too.

Thanks for the replies!

Wolverine209
[signature]
hey ther wolverine its me again they are silverstar rods 7ft 6 inches medium action penn reels when i say they been collecting dust i mean dust dont know if lead core rots just i just dug them out if you want them you have to take the dust to. give me a call at private board and ill give you diretions.
[signature]
Hey there Wolverine209,

You should take BigBuck3333 up on that - that's a great deal !

I am sure BigBuck3333's rig had been well taken care of and I have not noticed that my leadcore has degraded very much. So unless it has been abused, or has been repeatedly stored wet and/or kinked, the rig should be ready to fish with just the replacement of the leader. Besides, I think leadcore is still fairly cheap if you did have to replace it.

I have a Penn 209LH loaded with 27 lb. leadcore mounted on either a 7'6" Cabella's DepthMaster Trolling series rod, or, a 7' Okuma lead core trolling rod. Although the Okuma was cheaper(if I recall correctly) I prefer it - to the Cabella's.

I also have a small down-rigger I use on my boat(I like and do both leadcore and down-rigger trolling) And, yes ! I think you are correct in not worrying about a down-rigger until you have a good idea how deep the water might be. But, a down-rigger sure does provide more opportunities and more precision. Did I mention the fact that you can't really use leadcore beyond a depth of 50 to 60 feet while your boat is in motion ? And, you need to watch out a little more carefully for other boats trolling down-riggers when you cross their path. Your leadcore could be a long ways behind your boat if you've let out a bunch of colors to try to get deep(as a general rule: your line is not as deep as you think and it is further back that you can tell).
[signature]
I am trying to hook up with Big Buck this weekend. He only lives a few minutes from me it seems.

I am still sooooo excited about getting out there. I was really trying to get myself in a situation where I can fish with my kids and actually be successful. We have tried to go out a few times a year but it does get difficult in the summer. Fish move out from the shoreline or I am stuck with catching 10" planters. Not that a planter is bad, just not as good.[Tongue]

I still hadn't figured out a way to take them out with me in my float tubes and my wife isn't ready to sit on the shore with three rambuxious kids while I fish from a belly boat. Anyhow, I have made this purchase to have a way to take care of my family, creat some neat and wonderful memories. We have twins that are six (boy and girl) a 3 1/2 year old boy and #4 a girl due in June. I needed a way to get out of the house with the older three just so my wife can retain her sanity. I should be able to accomplish this task with a boat right[Wink]?

Anyway, thanks for the advice and help. I am going to buy life jackets this weekend. Yehawwwww!

Wolverine 209
[signature]
Hey Wolverine, You can go to Sportsmens and get 2 Cannon sports trolls for $100, just ask for the ISE special. I didnt buy them at the show but picked up a couple the other day. Didn't see any screamin deals on sonars.
[signature]