Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ice fishing
With many shanties surrounding my favorite fishing area, I knew word had gotten out about the Walleye being on the bite. So, it was with not-so-eager anticipation that I erected my portable and hunkered down for what I thought would be a long day.

Within minutes I heard the rustle of a sled, and the whir of an auger right next to my own shelter. Great I thought, what else can happen?

Needless to say, the next hour was uneventful, though I had landed a few perch. As I lowered a fresh minnow down the hole, I felt a tug and set the hook-hard. Suddenly, I heard the neighbors begin yelling that they too had a strike. My own rod began bending, the drag schreeching as the fish bgan making a run. One of the fisherman next to me began yelling, ":This is huge Ron! Absolutely the biggest gol durn fish I've ever hooked!"

My line showed little slack so I held fast. The neighbor apparently was also at a standstill.

With one big lunge I reefed back on my rod and set the hook again. This time I felt some headway and began to reel in. Almost simultaneously the neighbor began yelling, "It took my rod! My rod's going down the hole!!"

With a couple of quick reels I knew my fish had become lighter. Within a couple of minutes, I had my lunker to the hole. A whopping 1/2 pound Shakespere ice rod, tipped with a strangers minnow.
[signature]
[laugh][laugh][laugh] I cant remember how many times I have or my neighbor has caught each others line.

Though we didn’t lose a pole we did get a chuckle or two.

Thanks for a great story, truly enjoyable [laugh]
[signature]
when i was a deckhand on sportfishing boats out of S. CA. it was one the funniest things to see two guys on different sides of the boat fighting the "big one" never relizing it was someone one the other side
[signature]

AN ICE TAIL/TALE

One cold winter Michigan morning brought out droves of avid ice fishermen including Charlie a yellow lab mix and his owner. However, after settling into the ice shack with a warm stove and all gear in place, Charlie soon became agitated when his master released a sucker bait in his spearing shack. Suddenly the dog dove in after the pike decoy but became disorientated and could not find his way back to his masters house. Charlie’s owner was distraught at the horrible scene he had just witnessed. Imagine though the reaction the neighbor’s had in the next icehouse down when a dog suddenly appeared below their spearing hole begging to be led up. Here tell the neighbors had an extra set of clothes in their backpack, WHICH WAS A GOOD THING!

RICK FOWLER

[signature]
That's quite a prize. I might have kept it is they couldn't see into my shantie it would serve em right for intruding so darn close

Trent
[signature]
Isn't it amazing that with a whole empty lake, campsite, forest, whatever, that people would get as close to you as they could and not go somewhere else where nobody is fishing? Just a thought, good story. Did you ever give the guy his rod back?
[signature]
LOL,, my only question is,, did you leave him dumbfounded by keeping the trophy?? Some lessons simply need to cost folk's a bit of cash to drive the point home..
[signature]