Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anchoring an Ice Tent.
I saw an ice tent at SW that was big and roomy and it pops up in seconds. No floor but lots of room inside.
My question is has anyone ever anchored a tent on the ice? How do you do it?
I was thinking about using a cordless drill and some long thin lag bolts. Would the ice hold on to lag bolts or other types of screws?
I don't want to use sand bags.
How about the long nails that you use of roof gutters?
Do you drive them in on an angle or straight down?
[signature]
I was reading your post and an idea popped into my head, maybe you could have empty buckets on each corner, drill a hole in the ice and then just fill them up with water from the lake when your set up [Smile] just a thought, don't know if it will work.

Rabid Fisher
[signature]
DRILL EXTRA HOLES YOU WILL NEED SOME ROPE AND PVC PIPE TIE ROPE IN CENTER OF THE PVC POLES STUFFIT DOWN THE HOLE TURN SIDEWAYS THEN TIE TO TENT.
[signature]
Great idea but how do you retrieve the PVC and rope when you leave?
[signature]
Take a look at these ice loks for an idea. Or just purchase a few.

[url "http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0023124118235a&navCount=1&podId=0023124&parentId=cat601246&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20166&catalogCode=UF&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601246&hasJS=true"]http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0023124118235a&navCount=1&podId=0023124&parentId=cat601246&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20166&catalogCode=UF&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601246&hasJS=true[/url]
[signature]
FILL ICE HOLES WITH SNOW AND THEY WONT FREEZE . PEACES OF 2X2,S WILL WORK IF YOUR WORIED ABOUT FREEZING. JUST CUT ROPES AT HOLES.
[signature]
I have one of those tents and they come with 8 stakes. The stakes look like those dog yard stakes only a little smaller. They screw into the ice.
[signature]
Use a chordless drill with a large bit. Drill the holes about 6-8 inches deep(don't know if you need to go that deep - but drill the holes at about a 45* angle(more or less). For stakes use branches or sticks(both free) of some kind(they should be about a foot long) that will fit in the hole you've drilled. Place the sticks in the hole and pour enough water(use the water from your fishing hole) in to fill the hole with the sticks already in place(the sticks should protrude about 4-6 inches out of the hole) - it will freeze in a couple of minutes. Tie the guy ropes to the sticks just above ice level . When you are done and leaving, untie your ropes and kick the sticks to break off the tops(so other folks don't trip over them when you're gone) and just leave the what's left of the of the parts of the sticks that are still frozen under the ice.

Hope that made some sense.
[signature]
[Smile]Others have already talked about how they work, but there are some anchors in the Cabela's Winter catalog, on the same pages as the ice shelters, that you place in a drilled hole. Only thing is that you probably need a power auger to drill all the holes and your fishing holes without dying of exaustion. [Tongue] Also, the cost is more than the suggestion of using pvc pipe and rope.

Your question is interesting because I was thinking about the same problem.

Good Luck
[signature]
You could try the ice screws that ice climbers use. thos should hold a tent at high wind speeds well beyond what the tent poles can withstand plus they are light and very easy to screw into the ice.

I too was looking at that tent and I think I might buy it and give it a try. It seems like that should accomodate a group of 4 or 5 easily.

[url "http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47591401&parent_category_rn=4500716&vcat=REI_SEARCH"]REI ICE screws[/url]
[signature]
the eskimo shack that is on the for sale board has the tie-back eyes on it.
he glued and sewed the eyes on himself
he has the anchor system that is on this post, the one you drill a hole 6 inches deep. and put the metal anchor with rope attached
he uses it the most at fish lake and he says it works great.
[signature]
For those of us with power augers on the ice anchoring the shack isnt hard to do and this can e done with hand augers also.. Simply buy a length of standard 1" conduit and cut lengths a inch or two longer than the diamitere you auger cuts. drill and attach your achoring line to one end of the cut conduit and drop the roped end in the hole first allowing the free end to grip the upper portion of the achoring ice holes. NOTE you dont want to drill completely through the ice but rather just enough to get the anchors to drop completely inside the hole.. I like to use conduit because its light and wont break if it gets to cold.. What more, if you give the upper end of the anchor teeth it bites in real fast..

You can probably build a dozen for 10 bucks.. Their to simple to make and use.
[signature]
DKS and Bassrods,
I also purchased one of those tents (Eskimo Quickfish III) and took it out for its maiden voyage today. It sets up in about 20 seconds but I am a little concerned about the anchors. There was no wind when we started fishing but I tried to put 1 anchor in just in case. Well after trying for 2 minutes I quit. We had 4 inches of clear hard ice and it just didn't want to get started screwing in. So I just left it and went to fishing. I put the tent up for the kids and they really weren't using it. We got a little wind a little later (not very much) and the tent started sliding across the lake so I folded it up. Before I left I tried one more time with the anchors and got one to screw in by using a lot of downward pressure while screwing. Still not very easy to do and used a lot of energy and hand strength. So I'm not sure what to think about those anchors. They may work better in a few weeks when we have a packed snow/ice mix rather than 4 inches of ice skating rink....
[signature]