Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winged flies
Does anyone have a suggestion for preparing wings out of Duck, or turkey? What I am looking for is a treatment to keep the fibers together for wings for: wet coachmen's, hoppers, muddlers, etc.
I was using a spray that is for charcoal or chalk drawings to keep them from smearing.
Anybody got a suggestion for something that I might have on hand to do the same thing?
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]Hey there flygoddess - unfortunately I never did get involved with fly tying [too many hobbies now] however, Orvis make a product called Flex Seal which might do the trick.[/size][/green][/font]
[url "http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choice.asp?pf_id=61YA&feature_id=&dir_id=1273&group_id=1293&cat_id=5086&subcat_id=6168&shop_id"]http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choice.asp?pf_id=61YA&feature_id=&dir_id=1273&group_id=1293&cat_id=5086&subcat_id=6168&shop_id[/url]=
[signature]
Thanks Dryrod, I do have some of that, I have used it and it puts a nice rubbery coat on them. I was looking for something easier. But, thanks for reminding me. You sure you don't tie?[cool]
[signature]
[Tongue][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]No not yet flygoddess. Photography, genealogy, golfing are some of my other interests. One of these days will get back to self teaching myself to play the guitar. Since summer decided to stay with us [over 80º today] still have mowing and cleaning my pool. Seems like work [Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=13853;]is starting to get in the way of my fun time.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
the stuff we used for charcole was hair spray. you may want to try a hair spray from a pump, it puts a heavery layer on your fly. look for something like maximum strenth.

I use the dry fly silacone solution that came in my fly tying kit. sorry but the lable says dry fly so I cant give you much of a name for that. it dose require dipping your fly and allowing it to dry. it is time consuming.

pump sprays would drown a charcole drawing. but you can pack a small pump sprayer in your vest.

I forget the name of the hard due sprays the gals used to use in the 50s-60s, I remember in wind storms thier hair would stay in place...LOL
[signature]
[center][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]Boy one has to watch where they use that hair spray stuff. It is a pretty strong dissolvent! Will kill the paint on just about anything.[/size][/green][/font]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=13872;][/center]
[signature]
Yah, I've tried the hairspray thing also. But, when the fly gets wet, it gets a little sticky. Of course I used the aerosal not the pump. Anythings worth a try. I even thought of trying a thin coat of Latex (clear).
[signature]
you might even try a little liquid car polish and brush it on.

or how about clear finger nail enamal polish on the under side of the wings? I dont emagine it would change the weight, but wold make them a bit stiffer.
[signature]
DUH, I have nail polish! why didn't I think of that! Seriously Thanks
[signature]
I use rubber cement. Yes, that stuff to repair bicycle tubes. It never gets hard, does not wash off, is cheap and easy to apply and the feather stays flexible.

I buy the can with the brush applicator. I apply a good coat to the underside of all my feathers. Place the feather down on a piece of cardboard and paint the underside of the feather. Then I let it dry by sticking the stem of the feather in a block of styrofoam. However, do not let the undersides of the feathers touch one another....they will stick together even if the feather feels dry. Great for cricket and grasshopper imitations, great for muddlers and stonefly imitations etc. You can make those pretty duck wing forward pointed dry fly wings that will keep their shape and running the underside of a jungle cock eye over the glue on the tip of your finger will repair any splits.

I store each feather inside a folded wax paper sheet.
[signature]
I plum forgot about rubber cement. Mostly do to the fact I haven’t had any in the house in years.

I would think one would want a good quality brand. the cheep stuff will dry and flake, (stay away from the dollar stores lol)

my favorite use of finger nail polish is making fire fly larva for use in the spring and summer. I kill the bass in mid summer with fireflies.

I picked up glow in the dark polish from a Halloween gag shop. I have made glow polish by adding jig glow powder to clear fingernail enamel.

I also prefer the polish over head the cement that comes in the kit. "it doesn’t hold well enough for me" I haven’t tried making different colored hard body flies mostly cause I don’t have a supply of polishes around the house and my sister hides hers when I come around.

I do admit I am a hack when it comes to tying flies, the fish don’t seem to mind, but all the other anglers do seem to back away from me on the river there when they see my ugly barn yard flies start coming out of the box. [laugh]
[signature]
I favour the ugly flies. They don't attract humans. They seem "buggier".
[signature]