Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Renzetti Fly vice
I would like to know some more about the Renzetti vice and why people say it is the best vise there is. Pros and cons and why spend almost three hundred on one. Thanks
[signature]
I don't know about the $300+ one. I have the traveler, with clamp or pedistal. I also have the thumb screw and the cam jaws. It is small and strong as heck, plus the rotary. There is so many attachments the work with it. I even bought the extended body attachment for some other vise and it works fantastic with it. I have only had to replace the "O" ring once in 15 years.
[signature]
Sounds like they will last forever. I was looking on e-bay and one was on there for 260 used.
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]I guess that the manufacturers must think that anyone who ties & flys must have a lot of $$$$$$. How about the Renzetti Presentation Cam Vise- that sucker goes for $ 414.95.[/size][/green][/font] [pirate]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=15570;]
[signature]
They are good looking vises but will I ever tie enough flies to justify the expense? I enjoy tying but I do not know if I enjoy it that much.
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Like does a $4000 trap gun shoot any better than a $250 one? I don't think so but they sure are pretty and your fellow shooters will say oooh & aaah.[/size][/green][/font] [font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Oh by the way I have never used a $4000 shot gun so I might be wrong but who cares. LOL[/size][/green][/font] [font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]If one is good at what they do they can make anything work for them. I once played golf with my friend and his cousin on New years day. His cousin was hung over real good. He borrowed a set of unmatched clubs. [junk] Since he didn't have any golf shoes with him the pro said that he couldn't play in his sneakers - so he went bare footed. [this was in Florida] The sucker shot in the 70's. I probably wouldn't do justice using a $2500 Boo but a real good caster would no doubt make any of my fly rods sing like a bird. So I guess it is not what you have but how you use it. Amen!
[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
I can't answer for you, but I use mine all the time. I sell some, but mostly I have my husband and three of his brothers that love the flies I tie (cause they work[cool])
Like I said, the Renzetti Traveler is $159. and to me, worth every penny. Smooth rotary and will hold size 1/0 steelhead hooks down to 32's. Which covers everything.
You have to decide, not anyone else, but in my opinion they are the best for the price and their warranty is fantastic. I e-mailed them in regards to the "O" ring on my 5 year old vise at the time, and they sent me 5 new "O" rings no charge. Needless to say, I got spares[Wink]
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]$159 for a good vise sounds reasonable. In fact a Renzetti Traveler can be found on eBay for around $70. [used, box and warranty card] + $14 shipping. Don't know why vises in general are so expensive. I have some Dremel tools and a vise. This company makes quality products without the huge price tag. Then again why did I have to pay $3.29 / gal for gas today? Oh well I guess if you have a VISE one must pay the freight. LOL[Tongue][/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[center][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Thought that you might find the results of this survey of interest[/size][/green][/font].[/center] [left]What is your primary vise? [/left] [left]Dyna-King [ 41 ] [Image: bar_left.gif][Image: bar.gif][Image: bar_right.gif] [8.70%][/left] [left]Renzetti [ 132 ] [Image: bar_left.gif][Image: bar.gif][Image: bar_right.gif] [#ff0000][28.03%][/#ff0000] [/left] [left]Nor-Vise [ 14 ] [Image: bar_left.gif][Image: bar.gif][Image: bar_right.gif] [2.97%][/left] [left]HMH [ 20 ] [Image: bar_left.gif][Image: bar.gif][Image: bar_right.gif] [4.25%][/left] [left]Abel [ 1 ] [Image: bar_left.gif][Image: bar.gif][Image: bar_right.gif] [0.21%][/left] [left]Thompson [ 36 ] [Image: bar_left.gif][Image: bar.gif][Image: bar_right.gif] [7.64%] [/left] [left]Griffin [ 47 ] [Image: bar_left.gif][Image: bar.gif][Image: bar_right.gif] [9.98%] [/left] [left]Regal [ 54 ] [Image: bar_left.gif][Image: bar.gif][Image: bar_right.gif] [11.46%] [/left] [left]Other [ 126 ] [Image: bar_left.gif][Image: bar.gif][Image: bar_right.gif] [26.75%] [/left] [left]Total Votes: 471[/left]
[signature]
I need to save up and get me the Master Vice. I've had my eye on that for sometime

Trent
[signature]
I am in the "other" catagory in that survey. Mine is a generic no-name oriental thing I got many years ago for real cheap. It has worked well, but I do want something else. I have been looking at the Renzetti traveler and a couple of others in the gernerral price range but have not made the plunge yet. For around $150 it think it is well worth it, but I won't know untill I have one for myself. I have a friend that has only good things to brag about it and that has been my main influence up till now. I'm not sure about getting one on the internet though - I generally prefer to have it in my hands when I part with the cash - that way I know the condition it's in and can be sure of getting all of the parts that go with it.

I don't know if I could personally justify $400 for one though. I'd rather get another flyrod if I had those funds just sitting around waiting to get spent.
[signature]
Hey Flygoddess,

Feel free to talk up your Renzetti some more. I've been looking at one of those for a while now and I'm seriously leaning in that direction. Besides the great warrantee service the gave you, Have you had any other issues with it at all ?
[signature]
Non what so ever, and I take it with me on trips. In otherwords, I beat the crap out of it.
I know that Renzetti makes upper end vises that are beautiful, so do other manufacturer's, and I can't believe the gal that thinks nothing of spending triple digets on a fly rod is admitting this, but I can't see where the $200 and up vises can do more, just look purdier, and that don't tie the flies[Wink]
[signature]