Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thanks for the fly line help!! Do I need a separate line for saltwater fishing?
If so, would it too be $59.00 and up for good line? Any suggestions in particular?
Also, some replies to my last Fly line post, said Scientific Anglers. I have the SA Mastery Series catalog. There are SO MANY possibilities!!!
Which one is the best value?
Thanks again, lots of helpful people here!!!
[signature]
yes you will want a seperate line for Salt water. Fly lines for trout fishing tend to be too limp in the hot weather on the ocean - for one. Many warm water fish and ocean fish are not sensitive to fly line hitting the water so they tend to have heavier front sections.

The exceptions would be bone fish or tarpon and your 5-6 weight rod you will quickly find to be inadequate. It may be inadequate for peacock bass and red fish that you have there.

Beyond that I don't know

Check your library - it probably has several fly fishing books.
I would suggest something by Lefty Kreh. or something Flip Pallot or Bob Clouser or Bob Popovic, or Jim Teeny or Dan Blanton.

An excellent book for a getting loads of basic information about fly fishing both fresh and salt water would be his book
"Presenting the fly" (Lefty Kreh) - a good primer on rods, reels, lines, tippets, clothing, tacktics, rigging, .............

--- I corrected my spelling of names----
[signature]
Thanks! I got a 7/8 rod recently and an Orvis BBS V reel.
I just bought this line-[size 4]SCIENTIFIC ANGLERS 'MASTERY SERIES' WEIGHT FORWARD 8 FLOATING FLY LINE (WF-8-F) - SALTWATER TAPER [/size]
[size 4]How am I doing? Smile OK or messed up? Smile[/size]
[signature]
[center][font "Terminal"][black][size 3]Scuffy Fly is absolutely right on this. What species are you going for. Orvis has a good selection in saltwater lines at $69. One for Bonefish weight 6-10 at 105' with a longer front taper and a stiff braided mono core. Redfish, weight 6-10 in 105' and distance and accuracy enhanced attributes and also the stiffer core. Shorter front taper to turn over the fly. Tarpon, weights 10-13 at 105' with a short condensed front taper so it will punch. And Striper weight 8-11 at 105' and aggressive weight forward turns over heavy flies easily.[/size][/black][/font][/center]
[font "Terminal"][black][size 3]You got your work cut out for you. We have it easy here, TROUT and of course catfish and carp and some bass sunfish and tiger muskey, all of which a 6 wt would be all you need. We shoot for the 1 to 5 weights for the fun of it.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
In my area, i'll be fishing for snook up to 15 pounds in general and redfish, that average 5-10. I have always been a spin fisherman and used Mirror lures and Plastic Jerk baits under the mangrove trees in the Myakka river [our boat ramp is 2 blocks from my house.] from my bass boat [runs shallow]
For flyfishing, I plan to fish for snook along the gulf beaches, which is where they spend most of the summer.
I'll try redfish, which are much easier to fool, from my boat on the flats in the Myakka or in Lemon Bay, nearby. It's pretty hot out in the river on a boat this time of year, so i'm planning on beach fishing for snook, that way, I can leave if I get to hot.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Sounds like you are on the right track. We are going to require pictures however[cool][/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Great!
For now, here's the biggest snook I have ever seen personally. My son Daniel caught it about 10 years ago, when he was 16. He used my boat and fished under the Myakka river bridge at night. At about daylight, he brought this 36 pounder home!
He wanted to catch a monster, so I told him, that if he was willing to fish all night and maybe catch only 1 fish, I could tell him how to do it.
I told him to use a large blue crab, and to break the 2 points off enough to leak juices out. He did just that and caught this snook. He also caught 2 15-20 pound black drum that night and used over a dozen blue crabs. I was a blue crab trapper, part time then, so he had a limitless supply, right nearby in my 280 traps!!! Smile
[signature]
WOW! Now that's a monster!
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Speaking about Peacock bass last month our guest speaker and tier at the FFCOC monthly meeting was Andy Burk. He tied a few peacock flies the type he would use in the Amazon. These dudes tied on 4/0s had to be around 4-5" long. For a guided trip to Brazil he would tie about 700 flies. Yup 700. The reason for so many is that one bite from a piranha and the fly was history. They would use 10 wt rods. He said that they would catch so many Peacocks that by the end of the trip their arms and ribs would be so sore from the ordeal. Anyone out there ever been Peacock fishing in the Amazon??[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]