Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ideal rod
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]What would you say makes the ideal rod for fresh water float tubing?[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
uhmmmmmmmmm one that catches big fish for me????

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey Dryrod,[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I don't think that there is any one ideal rod for tube/toon fishing. I have a couple of 10' 6 wts. customs rods built on loomis blanks that I really like, but what I thought I would need for distance, I really don't. Long casts are not really needed. [/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Right now, (subject to change of the human mind), I would like to have a 9' 3 or 4 wt. my thinking is that I would be better armed for the local streams with such a rod. and it would be fun for stillwater as well.[/size]

[size 3]Most of what is involved here, is what type of action do you like to cast. Myself, I like a stiffer/faster action, but this is just a matter for personal preference. (ask 50 people, you'll probably get 50 difference choices).[/size]

[size 3]I guess that the size of the fish involved, should be taken into account.[/size]

If you're out shopping for a new stick, let us know what you settle on.

Good luck
[size 3][/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
For the type of Freshwater that I do, it could only be a 5 or 7wt. I only fish for Bass and occasional Cats. They won't let me on the lake before sunrise to get some of nicer Bugle Mouth Bass.[cool]
[signature]
[green][size 3]Saberfish, that is too bad you don'y care for the 10'. I love mine(don't slap the water behind me[Wink]).[/size][/green]
[green][size 3]I have a 10' 5wt. I love on the Middle Provo, but you definitly need room to spread your wings.[/size][/green]
[green][size 3]I had a 9'6" 6wt and LOVED that rod, now it is two 9' and an 8' and you are right that it is not that important on stillwater to cast a country mile. The reason I don't have a 10' 6wt. however, is I haven't found one I like yet.[cool][/size][/green]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey FG,[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Don't get me wrong, I like my 10 footers. They are best for tube/toon fishing where you're right on the water. They help remove some of the danger (ear Piercing) that goes with fishing large weighted flies.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I'm sure that you're familiar with the "chuck & duck" casting stroke.[/size]
[signature]