Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More old stuff
[center][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]While looking to identify my father's old salt water reel someone suggested that it might be a Mitchell Garcia. Although the company is no longer in business I did find this old ad on line. Looks a lot like the old auto reel that I posted the other day.[/size][/green][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][#008000][size 3][/size][/#008000][/font]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=23911;][/center]
[signature]
Nice. I like the different colored rods!
[signature]
[center][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Did you notice the price of these rods?[/size][/green][/font][/center] [center]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=23921;][/center]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Did you happen to notice the line designations shown in the add? If they mean anything to you, you are an old timer.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I think that the current line weights were defined when the industry got together and standardized them. I believe that was in about the early 1960's.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
[#bf0060]And all lines were either Silk or Level Taper. The industry answered a lot of questions, but I am not sure it is any easier now.[/#bf0060]
[signature]
Well, I must be qualified as an Old Timer then. Heck, not only do I remember the line/rod designations, I remember that same ad in my Field & Stream magazines!

Regards, & Good Fishin'
[signature]
a long time ago there was a discussion about automatic reels of bygone days... at that time I said I remember as a kid playing with a reel at my grandparents house. It had a green heavy braided line. I remember playing with it to the point all the line went inside the reel and I could not get it back out. My grandma was pissed I did that. She had told me several times not to play with it but I did anyway.

...the automatic reel in this ad looks to be identical to the one I remember as a kid..

...hmmmmmmm now I really do feel old.. [sly]

MacFly
[signature]
[#005000][cool]Hi Macfly55 - here is my post of last April showing a pix of an auto fly reel. Looks familiar?[/#005000]

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=326396;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=326396;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread[/url]
[signature]
....that be it DR... grandmas was either faded black or dark grey... main things I remember are the line and getting into trouble with grandma.. which did not happen very often... [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]