Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Idaho bluegill and bass fishin
Went to Carey lake Sat and had a great day! I posted a few pictures on the Idaho board.
[signature]
Looks like you had a great day of fishing! I noticed you tiped one of your lures with a piece of worm. How big a piece do you use, and does it affect the action at all?
[signature]
Actually No I never used any worms just "flies"[Wink], but when I do I try to use just enough so that they arn't just grabbin the worm and not the hook[cool]
[signature]
I'm getting a fly casting outfit this year, it'll be my first one and it seems it will be alot of fun![Smile] Unfortunately, alot of the fishing conditions here for panfish won't allow for a fly rod. I'm saving it for open water ponds and also for top water saltwater fishing. Most of the rivers I fish here are narrow with lots of surface and sub-level structure. You wouldn't have room to cast a fly on them as alot of times you're casting your bait/lure 6' under an over hanging limb or having to drop it right in the middle of submerged branches or stumps. The most effective set up on the water I mostly fish is ultra light spinning tackle. You can really get into those tight spots with a small outfit like that. I have a very short 5' ugly stix with a quantum Xtra light reel spooled with 10 lb stren super braid. I couldn't ask for a better panfish rig regardless of the target species.

I usually use beetle spins, small rooster tails, or tiny rapala swimming lures. I also like to use small surface poppers early in the morning or late in the evening, those things are deadly. My favorite method is to use live bait. Wax worms are my favorite, but i'll use a cricket if I can't find any.

My favorite time of year is right now, when the catapillers start moving around. Those are hands down the best bait i've ever used, and they catch nothing but huge panfish. I hook them right through the mid section and let the head and tail flop around.

I'm going to hit the river this weekend. It looks like the ocean isn't going to lay down by then, and i'm sure the water will be at a decent level too. Should be some good fishing. [cool]
[signature]
I'm going to have to teach you to Spey Cast with your new outfit. Other wise you will have to use the Bubble Fly trick on your light spinning outfit.[cool]
[signature]
[center][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/6793/cat/500/ppuser/89"][Image: Lorance_1_.JPG][/url][/center][center] [/center] [center]here are a hand full of little gills. caught may 4th 07[/center] [center] [/center] [center]I manage to pull in 8 gills and a rockbass.[/center]
[signature]
Looks like a black crappie's mixed in that stringer too. I bet that would have been some good eating! So that was your partner Dave? You caught 8 and a rock bass looks like he got the best on you [Wink]
[signature]
Don't ever challenge Dave to a BlueGill catching contest. He can beat anyone there is. Dave also wears a blindfold so that you can't accuse him of cheating.[cool]
[signature]
I think the "spey casting" class will have to be in person. LOL, i'll be lucky to be able cast a fly rod the regular way. As for the bubble technique, are you refering to attaching a bobber ahead of the fly for weight? I've been doing that for a few years, and it works quite well. I dig those little panfish poppers with the little rubber legs. Those things are killers for surface feeding panfish.

However, I think i'll stick with the ultra light on the river. I don't think a fly rod would work. I can thread a needle with my pan fish rig, which is the type of accuracy you need to really be effective in our conditions. I'll take a picture of some of the bank structure along the river next time i'm out so everyone can see what i'm talking about. [Wink]
[signature]
We can go 1 on 1 with the spey casting. As far as the bubble fly goes, you guessed it right. Only 1 little detail! The do make smaller micro bubbles for ultra light too.[cool]
[signature]
he was in his boat and I was in mine, he went streight for the gills and I went streight for the musky, I saw one, he followed my Charlie for about 20 feet then saw me and booked... I have a land mark where I saw him so I will try to get back out after him in a few days, provided the wind speed and gas prices arent to high...

I didnt go after the gills untill late in the afternoon just before quitting time.. didnt want to go home empty handed and I didnt want to be up all night cleaning fish [Smile]
[signature]