Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dropper Loops
I like the Hopper / Dropper thing in the summer and I forgot all about the loop till today.
I use a heavier flourocarbon (invisible) and make the dropper loop before I start to tie the fly.
Really a cool idea (which I DIDN'T COME UP WITH...darn it!)
Anyway check it out:
Here is the hopper with the dropper loop, you just attach the tippet with your dropper to the loop. Keeps the hook gap open to takers.
[inline "Dropper Loop 003.jpg"]

[inline "Dropper Loop 002.jpg"]
[signature]
If I am reading this right you are saying to use the small loop to drop a nymph from.. and by doing this you are keeping the foam flys hook clear for a hook up if the fish bites?? so my question is this.. is that loop tied into the fly when the fly is tied... if that is the case is there a way to tie that loop on after the fact.. keeping in mind you are talking to a non tying novice on this end... [Image: lol.gif]

MacFly [Image: cool.gif]
[signature]
FG,
What a great idea. I like it. Hopefully I will remember to do that when I tie up those PMXs and stimulators I need to do.

It would have been cool to have this thread a couple of weeks ago when I was doing some Fat Alberts and Klod Hoppers.

I am so good at bending the barbs down that I have at times had the tippet I tied to the bend of the hook come flinging off. (I presume my bad timing during the cast played a part in it.)

When I tie a dropper off at the eye of the hook I seem to get it tangled with the other tippet more often. Again I am sure it is due to bad casting technique. But at least tying off at the back of the hopper partially compensates for bad technique.

Thanks.
[signature]
That is the problem I have Scruffy. They do eventually come off the bend with out the barb there. And they don't get all twisted like tying from the eye, specially on windy days.

Mac Fly I don't think you could do this after the fly is tired cause it is tied to the hook shank.

I don't know why I forgot about these, we even had some flies come into Orvis with the DL on them and I thought it was way cool.
I wouldn't try it on a smaller flie cause I think it would effect the float.
[signature]
That is what I figured from the original description but ya know me.. had to ask.. hmmmm maybe Ill experiment.. [laugh]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
If the thread wrapped base of the shank is exposed you might try using zap agap to glue a piece of the mono material to the entire length of the shank. I would rough up the mono material for the lengths that will be glued to the shank.

Wipe the surface down with alcohol after roughing it up. Wait for the alcohol to completely dry before. Keep your greasy fingers off all surfaces.

That might work.

I know a guy that uses zap a gap to glue leaders to his fly line without using any knot of any kind. Says he has never had one come apart so it might work in this application.
[signature]
I have heard of folks doing that with their line also....never tried it but I do use Zap-A-Gap when I make a needle knot.
I just get my fingers all stuck together LOL.
Mac, I will be tying at the first Utah Fly Tying Expo this Saturday from 8:00 to noon so I should be able to get a nice little stash to send you. I gotta keep tying so now I have a purpose...."Flies For MacFly"[cool]
[signature]
FG.. as usual you are so sweet to me.. and I do appreciate it..
as always I will be waiting to get those flies and try this setup.. but in the mean time.......

after I posted last I got to thinking bout using a super glue of some type to hold the loop in place and then come in behind with 6/0 or 4/0 thread to snug it down good and tight.. also.. and this may sound silly for an after tie idea.. if I were to touch the ends of the mono or flouro to heat causing a "burn knot" to form.. then clean and glue and snug with a wrapping.. I would think those "knots" would help keep the loop from slipping off.. what do ya/ll think...

Thank you again sis..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey Joni,[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Have you tried using that Loon product, (Knot Sense) that requires UV light to set up?[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I have used it once, dumb me, tested it in the bright sunlight to see if it worked, and burned my fingers.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I know a lot of people use it for tying. I think that they use it mostly for foam flies, but I think that it will build up like epoxy. If I ever get to SW I figured I would get some and the UV light, and try it on some fly bodies and heads.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[black][size 3]PS: I really like your idea of the loop, I've never seen that before. I'm going to try it on some flies to see how it works for me. Great idea for barbless hooks.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
Saberfish, I do use Knot Sense and I use it a lot. I use it on all my line leader conections (nail knot, needle knot, and line loop) to smooth it out so it will go throught the guides easier. I also put a dot on my camo intermediate at 30' so I know where I am when stripping it in.
A little note I found out....if you put some knot sense on something and think you have put a little too much on or it formed a bubble a little bigger than you want, use a hair dryer to smooth it out. This is before you put it in the UV light or sun....haven't tried this after it is set up yet.
I also have the little UV flash light put out by LOON, Need batteries now but still got it for quick set-ups.
Never used it on flies, I just use ply-bond, or two stage epoxy.
[signature]