Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Got the change to get out fishing!
Got up just early enough at six am. Truck is loaded of my fishing gear the night before and all I had to do was load the canoe on top and go. Stop for breakfast and stopped for bait. Arrive at the lake amost eight am. I only got a dozen night crawlers for a morning of fishing.
Got the pole ready and casted out.....watch the bobber....down it goes and set the hook...fish on! Got it close to the boat and it was a nice size bass, let it go as I was only trying to get as many bluegills as I can. Start again and bobber went down again, set the hook and same thing another bass, let it go again.
Move to another spot to try catching bluegills, but still hooking those bass... Moved again and again more bass. Gotta find them...
Then took the bobber off and left one bb weight and casted it out and watched the line, Bam! Hooked a bluegill! Then another and another! Wind is picking up and moving me around, had to keep in the spot to be catching as many as I can. Got nine keeper for the pan and let maybe three go. Caught maybe about 25 bass. Quit fishin at a little after 12:30pm.
Got home cleaned the fish and packed them for the freezer as I couldn't cook them right away as we were having ribs for dinner......
[signature]
Sound like a great trip. Even though you weren't after bass, i'm sure you didn't mind the action! What kind of rig where you using? The ol' cane pole or an Ultra Light? I know I use the ultra light for just about all my light tackle senario's in fresh water.

I must say, the ribs are sounding pretty good. Beef or Pork? LOL I might just have to fire up the grill with a few tommorrow. [Wink] I've had some Spanish Mackerel in the freezer for the past couple weeks i've been ready to cook up. Maybe I can get to that.

I'm hoping to get out on the water somewhere this comming weekend. I don't know if i'll make it to the ocean, but if I hit the river, i'll be pounding on the panfish pretty hard. I'll keep the nice ones for my dad, and keep the small ones for catfish bait later on in the day. I'll make sure and post some pictures if i'm able to get out. One of the days this comming weekend we'll be throwing a b=day party for my youngest son. This will be his first birthday as he will be an energetic One year old! [Smile]

Thanks for the report!
[signature]
[size 1]Ultra Light with 4lb test line, that is as small as I would go for bluegills. Still have the ol'cane poles and hadn't use it in years. Ribs were pork and sure was yummy![/size]
[size 1]Happy Birthday Little One![/size]
[signature]
Way to go Bluegillman. Thanks for the nice report. Be sure to get some pics next time. You can even share the bass pics on the Bass board too.[cool]
[signature]
Got off work at noon and buddy wanted to have a fish fry while we are there. Why not, I haven't done that in years and crab whatever I could see in the kitchen. Got the trucks loaded and we took off. Got to the lake after stopping for a can of worms and a few hooks.
Wanted to try a new lake that another buddy was telling me about all the time but I just couldn't find that lake. Last fall we were deer hunting and I took a long walk around and found that lake, I don't mind doing that while ticks are sleeping for the winter, I won't do that in the summer!
I load up the rod and casted out, bam, hooked a bluegill on the first cast right off! Toss it in the basket and loaded up and casted out again, bam, another one! Fishing is hot! Buddy loads his rod and casted out ...nothing... Bam I got another and another... he hasn't hooked one yet. I told him to take the bobber off and two of the three BB he had on. He casted out and nothing...Bam me again and again...I asked him how did u hook the worm? He showed me and I knew why and told him to hook it only once instead of killing that poor little worm! Bam, bam,bam we are having a ball! He had a nice size bass on and I was getting my camera for that but he didn't hold on the fish right and flipped off the hook. Looked like a three pounder.
I like this lake! Running out of time and knew we had to get back to the truck to clean the fish if we are going to eat them before the park guy comes to close up the gates. Long walk back to the truck and got it all done just in time.
Next time I would bring the butter and mixture to coat the bluegills which is always my favorite tasting one than what we did in Olive oil. Got to remember the salt and pepper!
[signature]
Thats what I call a shore lunch! Nice report, even nicer fillets[Wink]
[signature]
Now that's the way to do it. Hook to pan in 0.6 seconds. Way to go.[cool] Nice pics too.[Smile]
[signature]
Nice run of fish! Sounds like your fishing buddy needs to borrow your good luck charm. [Tongue]

I remember when I was little, we'd catch a few blue gill and scale/head/gut them, and cook them over the fire on a stick just like you would a hotdog. LOL!!! Believe it or not, it was pretty good. I had a buddy that put them right on the fire. He'd leave the head and scales intact, but he'd gut them. I always thought that was kinda gross though. [crazy]
[signature]