Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vive la difference
[center][#005028][cool]But why? Oh the question for you long time tiers is why would two flies have the same name but do not share the same appearance? Both of these flies are called a black humphy.[/#005028]
[#005028][/#005028]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=30232;][/center]
[signature]
Variants - what can I say?

There are no real rules in naming a fly. Ask 10 people the standards naming convention is a and you will get at least 12 answers.

Both have the characteristics of a humpy.

Very thick hackle in the front. a Thick thread or floss body with an overbody on the top and a substantial tail.

A very bouyant fly that floats well through the rough water. An excellent small stream fly it is. But it works well on larger rivers also. Brookies seem to be quite partial to them.

Now tell me the fly fisherman that is mostly credited with this fine creation?
[signature]
[center][#005028]Is it Fox Statler?[/#005028][/center]
[signature]
It confuses me cause the bottom is the important part. That is the part the fish sees, so I would think the second is a yellow, but I guess the black hackle and hair warrents different.
Anyway, I refer to the part the fish sees.[Wink]
[signature]
[center][#005028]Is it Fox Statler?[/#005028][/center] [center][#005028][/#005028] [/center] [left][black]DR, I don't know I was hoping you were going to find a page that told all of us more about its origin. [/black][/left] [left][black][/black] [/left] [left][#005028][black]I know that I read it some where but don't remember[/black]. [/#005028][/left]
[signature]
[size 1]Anyway, I refer to the part the fish sees.[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]Without seeing a picture I would have thought that the whole thing would have been black. There are a number of other flies that when they are referred to as being black the whole thing is black. But I would be Confused whether that was it or whether the floss body was black.[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[signature]
[black][size 3]The color of the humpy describes the lower body color of the fly.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]It is tied in many, many variations, and historians feel that it has a history that can be traced back to several people. Some feel that it was first tied in some form by a fellow in California. Later, the fly became popular in the Montana and Wyoming area. The pattern was combined with and changed to incorporate the Goofus Bug materials. [/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Probably the most famous tyer of the fly was Sig Barnes, wife of Pat Barnes (Barnes fly shop, West Yellowstone, Mt.) She would tie them on her "vice", which was vice jaws welded in a treadle sewing machine, operated by foot power. (I guess that it was the original rotary vice) She could knock out dozens of humpys in short order. Her vice is currently located in the fly museum in West.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I have attached one web site where some historical info can be found.[/size]
[size 3]stevenojai.tripod.com/ylhump.htm[/size]
[size 3][/size]

[size 3][/size]
[signature]
...now that is a great history lesson.. thank you for sharing.. I was especially intrigued by the story abiout Pat Barnes.. talk about innovative and necessity being the mother of invention... [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
That is a very informative website but I'm sure you are wondering why your post was edited.

That particular site links to several other forums. Those type of links are not permitted on BFT. Thank you for understanding this matter.[unimpressed]
[signature]
... dang it I got busy and did not get a chance to read it.. Saberfish if you get a chance would you pm that link to me please so I see whats on it .. you have peaked my interest with that comment about the sewing machine.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
You can still copy/paste the website that is posted. The forum rules only state that we cannot have a direct link to another site hat also has a forum.[cool]
[signature]
...sorry bro I did not see that the typed address was still there. but in the mean time Saberfish was good enough to pm me the link..so now I have both..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I made the mistake once of posting a link to another site with a forum. It was another member that caught me and asked why is it that I can do it and he can't?

I told him that I cannot do that either. I had to disable the link and just leave the writing there. It is so easy to overlook small things while in the "Jist" of helping a fellow angler.

Nobody is perfect[crazy]
[signature]
...we all make mistakes.. is part of being who we are.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]