Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Gadget for Bad Eyes
Macfly, you are going to love this one.
I am a sucker for new toys. Specially if they really work. Tonight I was at a Fly Store and the Clerk is very smart cause he knew just which buttons to push on me.
Maybe the putting glasses on to sign the Credit card ticket. Anyway, this thing works!. It comes with a little clip to put it on a Landyard. about an 1 1/2" long with a groove and a magnet at the end. You can almost just drop a fly on it and it will land with the eye in the groove. Parachutes you might have to raise the bend of the hook up.
Put the tippet in the groove and push. It goes through the eye sooo easy, then just pick the two ends of the tippet up and tie the knot of your choice.
Oh yeah, the magnet is small but it holds the fly real well. I was shaking it with a size 14 beadhead and it would fall off.
This is going to make threading those size 30's so much easier this winter. I can even do it with out looking at the tool.

[Image: Magnetic_fly_threader.jpg]
[signature]
... I am thinking that you and I may really be brother and sister.. like you I love gadgets..especially ones that actually work.. [sly]

..I have see this in several catalogs and thought it was just a gimmick.. but since you say it works Ill have to add it to my basspro list..Ill just tell Santa wife that she can count it as a stocking stuffer.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]That sound real neat. However, unlike Flygoddess I don't have bad eyes I rather think that I am optically challenged. LOL [/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
...I like your thinking there DR.. my eye doctor will love it when I get my next pair of progressive lensed bifocals...[Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I guess I need to post some pictures soon of the flies that I tie for salt water. Then you will see that if you can't see the eye of the hook, you must be blind. hee hee.

Have you every seen a 12/0 hook? You can almost fit a pencil through the eye.[cool]
[signature]
dont post.. just bring some on the 18th.. Ill borrow some from you for my son in law and I to use in the salt later that wek... [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
That is the one thing he mentioned. It doesn't work well with the BIG BOYS, but then you shouldn't need it for them either.
[signature]
[center][#005028][cool]How about the Old Big Boys?[Wink][/#005028][/center]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Sorry Dryrod, I ment the BIG hooks like streamers or in your case Clousers.[Wink][/size][/black]
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Yea - I can clearly see the eyes on a 10 & larger. That is as of today. Who knows what tomorrow will bring.[Tongue][/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
I was puzzled in your post on another thread. I was puzzled what was holding up the orange and yellow streamer.

Now I see.
[signature]
... forgot to ask you last nite...but what is the name of this new gadget and who makes it... Im betting there are several different ones out there and Id rather get one that I know works (you tested and endorsed it.. ).. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[center][cool][#005028]There are several on the market. Some seemed to be way over priced. They just call them a magneic fly threader with a different code #. Here are two. The smaller one is an Orvis Magnetic Fly threader. Normally $21.95 now on sale for $12.99. Definately over priced at the former. Cabelas, Bass Pro etc all carry them.[/#005028]
[#005028][/#005028]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=30825;][/center]
[signature]
...the first looks like the one FG showed.. who makes that one? .. I will do some searching to see if I can get a good price.... I see a new gadget hanging off of my lanyard.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Yes the first one is what flygoddess showed in her post. It is available through Cabelas. Could not find a product name or manufacturer. Then again I didn't want to spend anymore time hunting.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Macfly it is called the 20/20 Magnetic Tippet Threader.
Website is [url "http://www.tight-line-enterprises.com/"]www.tight-line-enterprises.com[/url]
e-mail: [url "mailto:flyrodholder@aol.com"]flyrodholder@aol.com[/url]
9014 South Gary Ave. Tulsa, OK 74137-3313
phone: 918-231-0934

They are a little on the pricey side. Not as bad as the Orvis, these were $9.99. Worth every penny.
Was at the store last night after taking the old man up to the fishing spot I found and playing guide puttin his fly on and telling him where an how to fish a spot, which by the way the second cast he hook one of the larger Trout I have seen in this stream.

[inline "Fat Boy and Fish 450.jpg"]

[black][size 3]Anyway, we ran into a good fishing buddy in the parking lot, so I showed him the new Rabbit fur and this little gizmo. He was blown away as I was cause I threaded it without realizing I did[/size][/black].
[signature]
[font "Pristina"][green][size 4][cool]Thanks for giving that threader a name. 20/20 rather makes sense. I am going to have to get one. I spend too much time taking my mag glasses out etc. & if the sun is real bright I still have a hard time seeing the tippet. [/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
... Ill have to agree with you there dr.. I may not use a lot of small flies yet but when I do most time it is lucky that I get the tipper thru the eye after only a few tries.. hopefully I can get one as basspro tomorrow..:-)..

.. thanks to both of you for getting a name and link for me...iti is appreciated..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[cool][font "Pristina"][green][size 4]Hey there Flygoddess - on your recommendation I ordered & just received the magnetic fly threader from Cabela's. Hey I threaded a 20 or 22 fly with no problems. Unfortunately one can't thread beaded flies. Perhaps you have a solution. BTW now I know why their shipping for such a small item was $4.96. It was delivered in a box that measured 13x11x5.5". Duh [Tongue] how many trees were cut down to produce that box?[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
..I think cabelas and orvis and basspro all use that size box as the smallest box.. like you I have ordered in items that I know take a lot less room than that allowed by that size box... you open it up and you have to fight thru the air filled bags to get to your item.....

.. now here is a thought on the magnetci thread vs beadhead.. is it possible to drill a small hole in the area of the magnet that would allow for the beadhead and still hold the fly in place so you can thread the tippet thru...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]