Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Booby fly
[font "Pristina"][green][size 4][cool]This is for mi amigo senior MacFly. Tying instructions can be found on Dave Cammis's video site. Apparently it is quite popular in the UK for fishing on still waters for bows.[/size][/green][/font]
[center][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=33015;][/center] [center][font "Pristina"][green][size 4]The eyes are made from foam tubes of which I don't have any. The tail is marabou and the body polar chenille.[/size][/green][/font][/center]
[signature]
I have used one close to that in Alaska. It was excellent for the Salmon.[cool]
[signature]
...by eyes I can only assume you mean that bubble in the front.. [Smile]... and I am thinking some foam.. foam ball.. or maybe a yarn indicator ball of some sort.. not 100 % sure what it is called but have seen material like that at bass pro and sport chalet..

.. either way it looks to be a cool fly.. thinking other colors like green.. red.. yellow.. grey/silver.. purple.. brown even blue if the water is murky enough..

Ill have to check out that video...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[cool][font "Pristina"][green][size 4]They are actually small foam cylinders. Not unlike those used for poppers.[/size][/green][/font]
[font "Pristina"][green][size 4][/size][/green][/font] [center][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=33016;][/center]
[font "Pristina"][green][size 4][/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
...is that a locally available item or a mail order item.. ??

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
The USA seems to like the cylinder foam, but the English used little foam balls in a mesh.
They are killer flies, been using them for a few years, but like any other fly, we tend to tweak them to suit our needs. We found buy continuing the foam down the back they float better.
http://www.rainysflies.com/pages/detail....obie%20Fly

These are great on a sinking line, cause they will start to float up with the leader and when you strip, they dive. Gartside has the Gurgler that is the same principle and the Tadpole I tie is along that theory.
Black and Olive are killer
[signature]
...sis.. I went to that link and now I understand about the eyes.. how do you do that.. I mean divide the foam to form the eyes???

Ill have to remember about the sinking line with leader.. sounds like something the fishes would love to "see".. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
You guys had me Confused with the Booby Fly. I thought it would have fallen along the lines of the Dolly Fly made by TubeDude.[cool]

[inline dolly.bmp]
[signature]
[center][font "Pristina"][green][size 4][cool]I know that Bob Marriotts carries them. I would think that a local fly shop in your area would too.[/size][/green][/font][/center]
[signature]
...are those bubbles for a bubble fly rig ??? in the words of a young person I read about once.. "... Dolly.. what big eyes you have... " [sly]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
...at some point I will have to make a trip down to san diego fly or another trip to basspro.. :-)... golly.. twist my arm and force me to go.. [sly]

MacFly
[signature]
Silly Mac. Those aren't eyes. Those are lungs! lol

They are the same type of Casting Bubbles that we use for the Bubble Fly rig. I actually have some of those bubbles that are about 3" in diameter. I use those with some of the shrimp flys for catching Bonito in the salty.[cool]
[signature]
...was looking for some of those bubbles tonite.. only in a smaller size.. 1/2 or at most 3/4 inch.. could not find any.. yet.. lol..

.. lungs.. ihmmmmmmmmm.. this is a family site so I will reserve comment...[sly]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Post: ...sis.. I went to that link and now I understand about the eyes.. how do you do that.. I mean divide the foam to form the eyes???

Ill have to remember about the sinking line with leader.. sounds like something the fishes would love to "see"..

MacFly

With the cylinder foam, cut a chunk (maybe an inch) or just hold the foam rope by the eye of the hook leaving enough room to whip finish. Then do figure 8's with the thread to secure and divide.
A true Boobie is tied on shorter hooks and have very long tails. A lot of movement while it floats up and down like a Gartside softhackle.[b]
[signature]
... I went back and watched the video DR referred to and he cuts the tube to size and then slides it over the hook.. he then builds up a base of thread.. applies some head cement.. and then slides the tube over that.. of course he leaves room behind the eye to tie things off etc.. after he slips the tube over the built up thread and cement he then does a lot of figure 8's to cinch it down tight..

.. it looks to be a very simple fly to tie.. hell Im betting even I could do it.. [Tongue]

Macfly [cool]
[signature]
[center][cool][font "Pristina"][green][size 4]Where is this Trixie's school located?[Wink][/size][/green][/font][/center]
[signature]
EVERYWHERE Thanks to Comcast LOL
[signature]
...can I become a life time member??? [sly]
[signature]
You are, but remember "Classes beigin in the Spring" or at least that is what the sign says.
[signature]
...the Spring.. especially in Utah??? [sly]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]