Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2WT Rod
Hello all,

I've been readin up on this forum, researching tubes & toons. Got one of each so my budget is limited for this next purchase.

Anyway, my cousin gave me a 2wt Orvis Battenkill, pretty nice from what I've gathered. I'm looking to pick up a $100 to $150 2wt combo so I can have 1. a rod & 2 an extra reel for both floating & sinking lines. Any recommendations?

Everyone says to get a 5 or 6wt to start but I lean toward ultralight rigs anywhere the conditions permit. I'd rather wrestle a 4lb trout on an ultralight rod then drag an 8 pounder in on a telephone pole. If you get my drift.

Thanks for the help, past present & future. My name is Eric, nice to meetya.
[signature]
There are ultra lights in 4 wt. A 2 wt is NOT an ideal rod. First off, I am not sure you can even find a 2 wt. sinking line. You are limited to what flies you can use let alone weather conditions.
You want ultra light action, I suggest Glass or a full flex rod, but start at a 4 wt and larger. Even a 3 makes more sense.
I do have a 2 wt. but it is micro flies in 24 and smaller hooks and for High Mountain streams.
I have landed a 17" brown on it and there was a fish mounted at the Lodge that was 24" and it was on a 1 wt. but you are going to KILL anything you land, becaue you will be playing them to death.
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][cool]Hi there Erawk and welcome to the Fly Fishing forum. I just recently picked up a 2wt 7' rod specifically for fishing mountain streams/creeks. The fish are generally small and can be landed quickly. Wrestling a fish on a fly rod is a good way to insure that no one else will have an opportunity to catch the same fish. [dead fish don't bite]. Good luck and be sure to heed FGDs words in order to get started in the right direction.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
I wont disagree with FG or DR on the wt rod to use..but I can tell you an less expensive route on getting yourself setup so you can switch out from a floating to a sinking line and that is buy a reel with interchangeable spools..

thru the advice and assistance of our own FG I bought an Orvis Rocky Mountain Turbine Reel with a spare spool (to accomodate a sinking line) and got both for well within the price range you say you want to spend on a combo...

Here is a link to the orvis site and that reel:

[url "http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choice.asp?dir%5Fid=758&group%5Fid=768&cat%5Fid=7629&subcat%5Fid=7646&pf%5Fid=96GL"]Rocky Mountain Turbine[/url]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]

FG, will I be ok to use the 2wt reel on a 3 or 4wt rod? The guy @ Bass Pro Shops said to sell the Orvis battenkill to finance a combo purchase. Maybe I will. You'd recomend that I go with a 3/4wt, then?

I will be mostly using the rig for panfish and small trout in local ponds (Las Vegas) and for some streams in Utah (trout under 2lbs). I practice C&R mostly so I wouldn't want to be killing them. The reason I lean toward ultralight is that i don't come across big fish very often. I understand your point though, DR & FG.

I'll check those out Macfly, thx for the link.

Oh yeah, the reel did come loaded with 2wt Scientific Angler Mastery Series Streamer WF-200-S sinking fly line.

Thanks again to all for the advice.

Eric
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][cool]Hi there Erawk - the wt rating of the reel has nothing to do with being able to use it on a different wt rod. i.e. A two wt reel will have a smaller arbor and will be lighter in wt than those of a larger size. In fact I am using a 3 wt reel & line on a 2 wt rod. It loads just fine. However, I would be reluctant to use a 2 wt line on a 3 wt rod. It just won't load properly. BTW I have a second spool for most of my reels loaded with sinking tip line or what ever.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
[#000000]Hey Erawk,[/#000000]

Here's my take on it;
[#000000][/#000000]
[#000000]I have a 3 (an inexpensive 7 foot Reddington) and a 4 (very expensive 8.5 foot Sage) weight rod. The 3 weight is one of my favorites - I use it to fish tiny tiny streams (like the picture in my avitar) where the fish are tiny and there is little to no casting room. I seldom have more than a half dozen feet of fly line in the air and my leader is usually longer than the streams are wide. I only fish dry flies on my 3 weight, and on my 4 weight I almost exclusively use a floating line even if I am going to fish subsurface, and although I do have a 4 weight sinking line, it is a rare novelty when I choose to use it.. I personally see no reason at all to use a sinking line on a 3 weight or smaller rod for my applications. Of course, your situation may differ seeing that you do plan to fish some still waters as well.
[/#000000]
[#000000]You can use a 2 weight reel on a 3 weight rod - I often mix and match rods, reels, and lines according to what the situation dictates. The reel is only holding your line, so if you can get the line on the reel, that is all that really matters. You can overload or underload any rod, but the casting dynamics will change when you do. Also, I have never ever worried about a fish running my line to the backing on those light set ups, as I only use them for small fish in very small waters. [/#000000]

[#000000]As Flygoddess mentioned, there would be little reason to go with a 2 weight rod and line if your object would be to release the fish (unless you fish for keeper Bluegills or the like). A 2 pound fish of any species is a fair sized fish on a 3 weight rod and successfully landing it might pretty much wear it out to the point of no return possible - just keep that in mind. [/#000000]
[signature]