Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Water temps to start fishing bluegill
At about what water temps do panfish start to feed and become active? The water here is about 46-48 n I was throwin a bobber with a worm on it the other day just for kicks and i only caught one, so i was wonderin if the fish are still sluggish from winter. I thought that bluegill fed all year round since people catch them through the ice. Could it just be a matter of locating the structure/places that they winter in?
[signature]
Find the fish. I found some yesterday in 43* water temps that were very aggressive. They will hit year-round.[Wink]
[signature]
I've been catching very nice bluegill here in NE Arkansas since late February fishing on bottom with red worms. I rig the hook on a swivel about 12" up and put a small 1/8oz tear drop weight at the end of the line. At one local pond here I caught 30 in a row within a hour, all over hand size or larger. I'll go to bobber around the end of March first of April.

Edit: And yes even at that same pond I have to hit a spot and if no bite in 10 minutes I move to deeper or shallower water until I start getting the bites. One day they might be at the north end of the pond in deep holes the next they may have moved to within 10 feet of the shore near structure, but even when I find them if I try to go bobber and lower t he depth if not hits I always end up near the bottom this time of year.
[signature]