Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is you favorite fly tying hook?
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif][/size][/#008000][/font]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]So what is your favorite brand of hook to tie flys?[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
tbh... I usually go with what is suggested/listed in the fly recipe... or directions given me by a fellow tyer...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Tiemco. Because of the 200 BLR and the #32's. But I probably by more Mustad than anything, but that is a price thing.
I am loving the Gamakatsu hooks allot.
Specialty hooks in the Partridge and Daiichi are cool though. And the Orvis BIG EYE is awesome.

It is real hard to stay true blue when it comes to hooks.
[signature]
[#008100]Well I was thinking of making it a multiple response as I have both Tiemco & Daiichi hooks, and oh yea some Mustads too. Mustads I believe have ratcheted up their quality control over the past several years.[/#008100]
[signature]
I like some of the Montana Fly Company hooks. But I have many Tiempco hooks. I also have a fair number of Dia Riki.

From when I started fly tying I hated Mustad hooks be cause I was for ever catching the thread in the open hook eye end which would shred the thread. But I must admit that I don't mind them as much as I used to because I have become better at avoiding the thread slipping into that tiny slot.

I used to like the Orvis Big eye hooks but now that I have to have glasses to thread any hook I see less of an advantage. But also as I sit here pinching the blood out of a couple of pennies I cross all but the cheapest hooks off the list.
[signature]
Don't know as I have a favorite brand. A lot depends on what I'm tying. A quick glance reveals I have at least a half dozen different brands, in innumerable sizes and designs.

Overall I'd say Mustad is my #1 choice. But that's because I tie mostly warm water patterns that call for a specific hook. And I like the 34007 because of the ring-eye hook and large sizes.

For Atlantic salmon, on the other hand, Partridge is my overall fave. I've got hooks from other makers, but I don't believe they come up to the Partridge standards.

Brook
[signature]
I tie pretty much everything on Tiemco and Gamakatsu. Dai Riki isn't too shabby but Daiichi has always been garbage. I was actually staightening out #16 and #18 hooks on 5X and 6X. I used to like the Montana Fly company hooks as well until I had a bad experience with them on Greys Reef. (dozens of hooks straightening out on different patterns)

Gamakatsu makes an incredible hook but is to difficult and expensive for most general trout patterns. The B10s and the S10S are two of my favorites.

Tiemco is consistenly strong, available everywhere and is pretty reasonably priced (considering they are about the same price as Bendiichi) Plus, after tying on them for so many years you learn the exact model numbers of the hooks you use.

Small dries - 100, 200r
Big dries - 5212, 200r
curved nymph - 2457, 2487, 2488. 2488H, 2499 SPBL, 200r
straight nymph - 3761, 3769, 5262
streamers - 300, 9395

Once you figure out what you like its hard to use anything else. Its also hard to trust hooks that have let you down in the past.
[signature]