Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nice haul of Shell Cracker Bream today!
Fishing in a local pond here in NE Arkansas for about hour this afternoon with crickets. My buddy Jimmy took home about the same amount and size. Had a great time.

[inline "SANY0607 - 400.jpg"]
[signature]
That's a nice mess of bream[cool] Gotta love that pond [fishin]. There is lots of good bream fishin down there. Thanks for the pictures. ole Mike
[signature]
I had two of them for dinner tonight and wow! We catch shell crackers that size every spring through summer right before a front or during a front when it's raining in that pond. It's about a 3 acre farm pond in the middle of a corn field, lol and I hope to win the big bass photo contest this year from that pond. Last summer a friend caught a 18lb bass there.

We catch 2lb to 6lb bass almost every cast there with plastic minnow lures, the 18lb'r was caught around midnight on a full moon with a black buzzbait so I am going to give that a shot this weekend.

edit: oh i didn't mention we threw back probably 50 bream that afternoon. See the smallest one up at the top left? We where mostly throwing the ones that size back, and that small one is not really that small, in most ponds an angler would be happy to bring a stringer of those smaller ones home but at this pond we just toss those back and let em grow! heh.
[signature]
Those are BLUEGILL'S!

Just kidding with ya, I just get a kick out of hearing people on here call them Shell Crackers.

[Wink][Image: happy.gif]
[signature]
How did they get the name shell cracker?

Nice fish BTW.
[signature]
shellcracker is a term used in the south. It just bled over to arkansas.

Yea they are bluegill.
[signature]
nice fish [Smile] your so lucky to have ponds like that here in utah its all community fisheries that are ponds ..[:/] and there always fished out and are usually only stocked with BOWS and catfish
[signature]
I have heard that Pelican Lake is an awesome "gill" pond down there in Utah.
[signature]
o yea it is just thrown out either smaller tube jigs or just a some worm under a bobber and youll slay them the same with steinakar res.. but both are about 5 hours from my house Sad
[signature]
A little more for me but still sounds like a good place for a vacation weekend, someday.
[signature]
o its really worth it if not just going to redfleet just for the beauty of it is good
[signature]
[quote bytebull]shellcracker is a term used in the south. It just bled over to arkansas.

Yea they are bluegill.[/quote]

Well actually shellcrackers and bluegill are in the same family but different species. Shellcrackers/red eared sunfish have the red ears and the bluegill does not.[Wink]

Hope that helps lol
[signature]
Nice haul!
[signature]
Those are some great looking fish. Nice catch
[signature]