Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yet again?????
I was somewhat supprised that my son had made the time to get out in the float tubes yet again yestersday considering his busy life. lol
We hit the water early this chilly,overcast day on a local strip mine lake.
We got on fish right off and hot pink combs of the hair jigs and duck feather jig-flys I tie were working well. I will admitt that we were tipping with wax worms and-or large red worms I raise ,so were basicly bait fishing. I believe the use of the jigs with the bait provides a larger profile and helps target the larger ones.
We both got on fairly large gills but the girls were by far the largest.I have some concern about the smaller size of the "Bulls" and we release all of the largest and also most of the largest girls. They were heavy with eggs.
At one point, I tied on a 1/80 oz. White head with wht/lt blue calf tail hair body on a #8 hook . That jig brought lots of nice plump gills and one single crappie. The crappie gave a nice thrill with a few side runs through the gin clear water with the flash of the rare sun off it's sides , but just couldn't hold up to the thrill of a heavy 10" bluegill when it came down to the fight.
We both use and love 8 1/2 ft. UL rods that make the gills a joy to catch.
Afternoon found us a looong kick from the take out point into a stiff breeze.
Fortunately ,we still caught fish all the way back to keep our mind off the hard work of bucking the wind
We loaded the float tubes into the van with rubberized legs from the long kick, but satisfied that we had made the most of our day.
I just hope all of you are blessed to have such a great day. Illinoisgiller
[signature]
[ul][li]Snake Den Hollow? Nice yellow tube![/li][/ul]
[signature]
Bluegillman, No this was not at Snake Den Hollow .
That Yellow tube is the result of a $200 + free shipping sale from a fly shop out west.
It's a joy to fish from.
I'm not very good at it but try to stay within my means. Illinoisgiller
[signature]
I'm taking my tube up north with me to Three Lakes Wisconsin next week. I have caught alot of bluegills ,bass and cats. I'm looking to try the Muskies and Pikes. Those are mean fish, I have caught them with the canoe and rowboats. My wife, my brother and fishing buddys think I'm a little nuts......
[signature]
Bluegillman, Don't pay any attention to those folks.
Just because you will be fishing for toothy and horned fish while sitting in a balloon, doesn't mean there will be problems. lol What could POSSIBLY go wrong.lol
Seriously, I would carry a decent size net , and if on the cats, I would carry clippers and clip off the horns if puting on a stringer just to be on the safe side. I got that tip from this site.
Actually fishing for the larger species from a float tube would be a joy in those clear lakes.
I hope you get some pictures to share. ole giller
[signature]
[fishin] that was nice bluegills and a nice crappie!
we went to the lake sunday and caught 1 catfish and 10 crappie. two of us were jig fishing and 1 was fishing with pole and bobber set up. we all caught fish!
[signature]