Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mountain Lions?
It is my wish to possibly hunt and shoot a mountain lion. I know that everybody says that you need dogs to actually get one, but I am sure it is possible to do it without. I live in Rexburg, and have heard that there are a lot of them in this area.

Does anybody have any advice or information they could share that would lead me to one?

Are there any areas that I should focus my attention to?

Thanks!
[signature]
watch for tracks they cover large areas fresh snow will help. it may be several weeks before they come back through.
[signature]
About 2-3 years ago there was an article in Field & Stream or Outdoor Life that listed stalking mountain lions in the river bottoms in the top 10 most dangerous hunting experiences. They were talking the river bottoms from Shelly to American Falls! I've seen them up around Kelly Canyon years ago and have been told there are at least 2 that live in that area and several others that pass through at various times. I know people that own land at the base of Taylor mountain that say they don't see them but they find their tracks out there frequently. Basically I think if you do some research to narrow it down some and then a bit of scouting you might have a chance. I suspect for the most part if they don't want to be found they won't be. Hence the dogs.
[signature]
Thanks for the info. I have seen a few tracks of them around Kelly Canyon fairly recently. They are for sure a dangerous hunt!

Matter of fact, I have been out fishing a couple separate times and actually seen 2! That is why I thought it may be fairly probable to get one without a dog..

Unfortunately I didn't have a gun or a lion tag when I did see them. I'm hoping I will just be out sometime with my gun and run into one like I have when fishing.
[signature]
Very DANGEROUS animal: When I lived in California a woman was hiking Big Bear Mountain and she was ambushed by Mountain Lion on hiking trail.... They are predators that like to sneak up on their prey and will absolutely tear into you....
[signature]
That's probably you're best bet...hunt or fish for anything other than a Mtn. Lion and you'll run across one! Just always keep your gun and tag on ya when you're out of doors...and spend as much time out there as you can. They can be dangerous animals but very very rarely.
[signature]
i agree if your going after them without dogs its probly more of a luck thing. i know a handful of ppl who have shot them without dogs but they have all been while deer or elk hunting and by chance seeing one. I a couple of guys that were coyote hunting using bows. and calls and shot one that had snuck behind the guy calling and was within 15 yards of him when his buddy shot it. they actualy thought it was a coyote at the time all they could see was something stalking towards them. if you want to see a scary story go read the story of the guy that shot one that was stalking him while he was deer hunting in utah last season.
[signature]
COYOTE HUNTING: You want to talk about hunting that is the most adrenalin pumping action created go Coyote hunting.... Wow!!!! You use mouth calls or tape recorded call carrying 22-250 or 223 rife.... You watch these things come running in and put some lead into them.... Extremely big varmit that can destroy livestock or small game in the area they are truly nuisance, so your doing wildlife a big favor...
[signature]
You should try wolf.
[signature]
IS IT LEGAL TO HUNT WOLF: I personally didn't know it was legal to hunt wolf, maybe in Alaska but here in the other 49 states.... What a beautiful creature that is mysterious, intriguing and very dangerous... Supposedly, they say lone hunting wolf is the most dangerous because they will attack without notice.... Fearless animal that is sacred in many Indian tribes through out North America some believe in the Full moon madness that wolves create.... I personally didn't know there was high population in the United States....
[signature]
Yup, its legal now, and quite a rush. My brother shot this little one. I was charged by a big one about 2 years ago. Haven't killed mine yet, but I still have confidence that I will.
[signature]
WHAT STATES IS IT LEGAL TO HUNT WOLF: I probably could find the answer on the internet, but what states is it legal to hunt Wolf??? Some bigger National parks have population of wolf, but probably no hunting.... When I lived in Indiana, one was found in a farmers field, it had tag attached to it... They said, it had drifted down from Canada into the United States.....

Here you go, it is legal to hunt Wolf in Idaho and Montana... There is big time controversal issue in regards hunting wolves... Many people are very mad because a lot of time and money was spent devoping population of wolf in the united states... Wolves were once an endangered species here in the 49 states, and populations still aren't as high some believe it should be....

Here is link about wolf hunting!!!!

[url "http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/09/03/wolf.hunt/index.html"]http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/09/03/wolf.hunt/index.html[/url]
[signature]
idaho, and montana had seasons on wolves this year. its the first they have allowed a season on them. montana allowed 75 to be taken, idaho has a 220 wolf quota.
[signature]
My uncle stalked a cougar in Colorado a few years ago. He is the best hunter I know. It took him eleven days of following tracks and camping out in the elements to get it done. It was one of his life goals. He finally got it in his sites at 200 yrds. The cougar is now on his wall, a big male.

I'm not kidding when I say that this guy thinks like a predator so just know what you are getting into if you attempt it. I have only seen two cougars in my entire life without dogs and both were by accident.

Windriver
[signature]
If you don't have dogs to tree a cat you're most likely gonna follow tracks for at least a week or more and even then there are no guarantees you'll see it. I worked up to Lazy Tripple Creek Ranch by green canyon this fall and we would continually see tracks in the snow from a cat in the area that was most likely sticking around to feed on the pheasants. I'd say your best bet is to find an area where you can continually find tracks and try calling. Using dogs is no dought the most successful way though.
[signature]