Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
33 Hole report + questions
I finally bought my Nevada fishing license and hit the lake at 5:30 am. This was my first fishing experience here in Nevada, so I wasn't sure what to expect.

Caught 18 stripers,1 large mouth and 1 small mouth. All of them were under 12 inches, but still fun to catch.

Here is what I don't understand. The bass (and stripers) were all hitting Krocodiles and Kastmasters, which I have always associated as being Trout lures. Is that the norm at lake mead, to catch bass on spoons/kastmasters?

Also, do the LMB and SMB have different eating habits than the Stripers? Do Stripers eat like a trout?
[signature]
You did the right thing RRF, buying your license.

Yes, kastmasters and other chrome spoons are a good lure for imitating shad and therefore good for catching fish at Mead. There's many fancier, more expensive lures to you can buy both those old school baits will do it.

The simplest explanation I could give for the difference between stripers and sm/lm bass feeding habits would be that you can find stripers schooling/feeding in open water whereas the bass will usually stay closer to structure of some sort. Stripers are at the top of the food chain and so the lmb/smb have to hide from them. But that is a very simple way of looking at it, there's much more to it than that and I'm sure some other will share their experience.
[signature]
Good job sounds like fun too bad you didn't get any pictures[cool] and bass love anything that shines,flashes, moves like baitfish especially right now in the fall. Ive caught stripers on empty hooks before while reelin in to rebait. Caught bass all over the US on numerous flies, trout spinners, powerputty etc everything but the norm just depends. Lmb and Smb are somewhat simliar i've found they enjoy crawdad more than the stripers. I believe stripers feed way dif from stocker trout take a look around wiki.
[signature]