Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tips for fishing
Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forums and somewhat new to fishing and I was hoping to get some tips on Lake Trout Fishing. I really want to learn more about fishing, and I want to learn more about the techniques that will help me become better at fishing. I want to learn more about fishing in the hopes of catching some walleye, and trout. I'll be fishing off a kayak and I'm very interested in getting some pointers on how to troll off a kayak.

I'll be up at Sacandaga Lake/Lake Pleasant in the ADKS camping for 8 days or so, and I was hoping to fish for lake trout off a kayak. I've looked around on the internet and the standard advice seems to be running a six foot pole with 8 pound test.

Lead- Put a 10 ounce weight on six feet of line tied onto a three way connector?
Lure- Use a spinner

Get the lure down to the deepest part of the lake, in this case a trench about 60ft deep and just "troll" it along the bottom at about 2mph? I'll be winging it in my case cause I'll be kayaking.

I don't know to much about fishing, but I'll have the time to learn for once next week. I've fished for rock bass and such up at lake george, but those are a lot easier then some of these other fish in the lake I want to try and catch. I know there's other fish in the lake too, but I figured I should focus on just one species at a time for learning purposes.

Any advice? Keep in mind I'm new to most of this so if you use and vocab that's particular to fishing explain what it means please!

I'm really looking forward to next week!

I've also got a pretty good fishing map, I'll attach it to this topic. Any tips on where I should fish on Sacandaga Lake, and also Lake Pleasant would be appreciated!

EDIT: Links are not allowed for new members, see [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Introductions_C77/gforum.cgi?do=faq"]FAQ [/url]above.

Thanks!
[signature]
Trolling deep for Lakers is not a good idea from a kayak. You need heavy equipment to go deep for them. Down riggers ect. You can use things like a dixie diver to get down 10 or so, but thats good for smaller trout this time of year. Even them I use a 6 1/2 ft rod with 12 lb test. Check out the trout board for more tips as well as the kayak board for tips as well..
[signature]
As a generalist, I am a amateur in arts and master of none so it is no surprise to me that I attained a particular level of expertise as a fly fishing angler and then fell into years of stagnation.

See FAQ above, links are not allowed for new members.
[signature]
spammer!
[signature]