Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice Fishing Tip of the Day
WOW!<br>Davetclown, What an awesome/informative thread! I just did a view all on this thread and spent the last 15 minutes checking this out. I'm ready to do some ice fishing! <br><br>Although I didn't get out this year, I am planning to definetly give it a shot next year and can't thank you enough for all the great information! <br><br>[laugh] How about a good laugh?<br><A HREF="http://www.bigfishtackle.com/comics.htm " target="_new">http://www.bigfishtackle.com/comics.htm </A> <br><br>Mike H
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
Really Mike,<br>It’s Been My Pleasure<br>Glad to have had the opportunity<br>And thanks for the Kind Words.<br><br><br><A HREF="http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/MESS6438/" target="_new">http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/MESS6438/</A> <br>Lookie See what the kids are up to.<br>Dave T. Clown
here is a tip I hope every one takes to heart,<br><br>get off the Ice before it melts.<br><br><A HREF="http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/MESS6438/" target="_new">http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/MESS6438/</A> <br>Lookie See what the kids are up to.<br>Dave T. Clown
Dave, great post. if somewone dosent listen to this advice they are shurely WET behind the ears. Pun was intended.<br><br>Texas Gulf Coast Fisher.
Dave, were still ice fishing here : ) !!!!!!!!!!<br><br>
we have a couple places with ice here, up in northern parts reports say though that this may be the last week for ice up there.<br><br><A HREF="http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/MESS6438/" target="_new">http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/MESS6438/</A> <br>Lookie See what the kids are up to.<br>Dave T. Clown
Dave,<br>Did you get snow today? Can you beleve I mowed the front yard yesterday and tonight it is snowing AGAIN?<br><br>Texas Gulf Coast Fisher.
ya we got a little snow today, the air is kinda nippy<br>I have the heat set a 73 but still feals nippy. good day for hiding under the blanket.<br><br>looks like about an inch of snow though most of it melted on the ground the grass and fences and othe things above ground level is holding snow. it will be gone tomarrow. this should be the end of it as my crocus is at mid bloom. which usualy means just a couple of snow days left.<br><br><A HREF="http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/MESS6438/" target="_new">http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/MESS6438/</A> <br>Lookie See what the kids are up to.<br>Dave T. Clown
I will make an attempt to provide one tip every day on Ice fishing. <br><br>Being that I am lazy I would relish the idea of taking a day off. In order for this to happen some one else will have to post a tip here. Thousands of tips are available to post.<br><br>Because I am seeing less and less people on the ice every year, I am thinking that no one is catching any fish and is giving up. And who wants to sit on a block of ice not knowing what they are doing. Besides I enjoy the company, friendly competition and camaraderie between 10-15 people with same interest. (or any intrest)<br><br>Most tips are common since to the avid icefisherpeople but you can be assured that many people go out on the ice clueless every year. From being improperly dressed to not understanding ice conditions.<br><br>It is my hopes that with the abundance of experience here on the boards we can rally together and provides helpful information and experiences of our excursions for that ice fisher want-a-be. So that he/her can go out on the ice feeling relatively safe and not get hurt + have good time.<br><br>So here it is… <b> This is your first Ice Fishing Tip Of The Day - </b><br><br>In 30+ years of ice fishing I have been visited in the shanty only once by Mr. Game Warden. My door was latched from the inside as many of my friends do as well. Not to keep any one out per say but to keep the wind from blasting the doors open. (Any experienced ice fisherman will attest.) Any way he announced whom he was, I peeked through the peephole and seeing that what he said was true I immediately opened the door and invited him in to warm up, offered him some hot coffee, (not a beer because he was on duty) <br><br>I welcomed the visit (I know that if the game warden is on the lake checking he will have knowledge of what is going on around the rest of the lake.)+(If Mr. Game Warden is treated as a human being he will respond accordingly.) for those of you that may be thinking of breaking the law on an exceptionally good fishing day, remember that if you want to be respected then respect the fair fishing game rules. They are put in place for the benefit of the fish and your fellow fisherman. (Good ice fishing tip of the day)<br><br><br>[cool] “Don’t forget to wiggle your jig.” davetclown
MORNIN DAVE, HAVIN MY COFFEE,AHAH ANYWAYS, I LIKE THE THUIMBBITERS HAHA THAT,S COOL. HEY TELL ME WHAT ARE CISCO? NEVER HEARD OF EM? AND I THOUGHT STURGEAON WERE SALT WATER FISH? ARE THEY? MUSSKELENGE ARE THEY LIKE THE MUSKIES WE HAVE IN THE CONNETICUT RIVER HERE? THEIR A CROSS TWIXT A PIKE AND WALLEYE? I FORGIT. THEY PUT THEM IN THE RIVER BOUT 13 YEARS AGO. THEY GROW HUGE BIGGER THA THE PIKE EVR WILL. BUT IT WAS A NEW BREED THEY PUT IN THE RIVER. I,M NOT INTO FISHIN THE RIVER MUCH. I LIKE MY BROOKS. ALWAYS HAVE BETTER. THEY CLEANED UP THE RIVER AFTER A FACTORY WAS THROWIN YTHEIR DYE IN THE WATER FROM THE MILL. THEY MADE EM. THAT WAS ABOUT 20 YEARS AGO. BUT I DON,T KNOW, I STILL DON,T THINK I,D EAT NOTHIN OUT OF THERE. IT WAS THE RIVER THAT CLOMES OUT OF CLAREMONT N.H. SIDE.AT LEAST MY BROOKS I DON,T HAVE TO WORRY AND MY TROUT WON,T LIVE IF IT ISN,T CLEAN WATER. WE HAVE A MILFOIL PLANT THAT IS TAKIN OVER OUR POND HERE IN WINDSOR. IT SUCKS THE OXYGEN OUT OF THE WATER AND I,VE SEEN FISH IN MY BROOK I NEVER SAW BEFORE TRYIN TO GIT AWAY FROM IT. THEY WANT PEOPLE TO WASH THEIR BOATS BEFORE THEY PUT EM IN ANOTHER LAKE AND MAKE SURE IT DOESN,T SPREAD TO ANOTHER LAKE OR POND. WELL THEY PUIT SIGNS UP THEY DON,T ALLOW POWER BOATS ON THEIR ANYWAYS, NOT BIG ONES. TROLLIN MOTORS. ONLY. THEY CALL IT MILL POND NOW BUT IT,S ALWAYS BEEN KENNEDY,S POND TO ME AND ALWAYS WILL. AND THEY CHANGED THE NAME OF MY BROOK THAT TICKS ME OFF TO MILL BROOK AND IT,S ALWAYS BEEN THE BROWNSVILLE BROOL TO ME AND ALWAYS WILL! THEY THINK WITH ALL THE DOWNCOUNTRIES COMIN UP WE GOT TO GIT SAFISTACATED. BULL! THIS IS THE WAY IT,S BEEN SONCE THE COSTITUTION HOUSE WAS BUILT AND THAT,S THE WAY IT SHOULD STAY., WINDSOR IS THE BIRTHPLACE OF VERMONT. WOOPTIDOO! HAHA. THIS CHANGIN ---- I GUESS I DON,T DEAL SITH IT GOOD HAHA. I DON,T THINK THE OLD GHOSTS WHO LIVE HERE LIKE IT EITHER. HAHA.KEEP RAISIN THE TAXES LIKE THEY HAVE BEEN AND IT,S GONNA BE A GHOST TOWN ANYWAY.
[signature]
HEY THERE DAVE!! HAHAHAHHA I LIKE THIS ONE! HEY CAN I USE THIS ONE WHEN jACKS MOTHER COMES TO TOWN MAYBE SHE,LL GIT THE HINT.AHAHA SHE HATES IT CAUSE I,M IN MY DUNGAREES ALL THE TIME AND WON,T WEAR NO STUPID DRESS. I ,M ONE WHO SPEAKS BEFORE I THINK, HAHA WELL SHE TRIED GIVIN ME SOME DRESSES AND PANT SUITS, AND TOLD ME I COULD WEAR THESE IN STEAD AND GIT OUT OF MY DUNGAREES, HAHA AND I TOLD HER TAKE ME THE WAY I AM AND I HAVE ALWAYS WORE MY DUNGAREES AND YA WILL NEVER SEE ME IN ANYTHIN ELSE HAHA I,M GONNA CROKE IN EM. NAD BE BURIED IN EM. HAHA AND MY SADDLES GOIN WITH ME. HAHA HOW DO YA LIKE ME NOW? HAHA THINK THAT STINK STUFF WILL KEEP HER AWAY? HAHAI HATE CONTROL! HAHA SHE,S GOOD FOR IT. HER LITTLE BOY YA KNOW. GOT HER NOSE A LITTLE TOO HIGH FOR ME. HAHA [laugh]
[signature]
GOOD ONE DAVE!! [cool][Smile]
[signature]
morning lue, you say you like them thumb biters eh? I still wear the scars.

what is a cisco you ask? bleive this or not it looks like a giant minnow, But is related to the trout family. and are usuly suspinded at about 15 feet near the drop off of the shelf. [center][Image: Lake_Herring_36433_7.jpg]

[size 1]STURGEAON[/size] are dinosaurs of the fresh water fish family. if you have ever eaten caviear you have indead eaten sturgeaon eggs. [/center] [center][Image: MESS3307CustomImage1249352.jpg][/center]

in shape the resemble a spear of a the aincheant natives. long and slender some times 8-10 inches in diamiter and run as long as a boat oar.

I have only caught one in my life time. a white not rare but are uncomon in the detroit area. at the time I caught it the size limits stipulated that it must be released. my only regreat is that I did not get a pic of it.

they do not compare to a muskie in that it is not a predator, it is more of a bottom feeder but will grab a crippled minnow swimming if it can. its mouth works more like a vacum hose attachment that sticks out the bottom of its head instead of in fron of its head like other fish.

muyskies are their own breed. A tiger muskie is a cross between a muskie and a northern pike.
[center][Image: MESS3307CustomImage1222106.jpg][/center] [center][Image: MESS3307CustomImage1233275.jpg][/center]

sory about your town but once every one is gone a developer will buy it up cheep and bukld multimillion dollar mantions on the condemed property. with its sewers and city water.

[size 1][/size]
[signature]
hey there dave, mornin, thanks for the pictures and all that info.[cool] haha i do think those cisco do look like a giant minnow too. i don,t see any resembleence to my trout there. weird. anyways it was the tiger muskie i was thinkin bout they put in the river. some of hte guys i,ve talked to up here have caught em and they are huge.onkly one more thing what are the thumbbiters? huh? are they these guys? i just thought the name was funny. i never had that caviare stuuf you> don,t paticularily think much of eatin fish eggs do you? haha i forgot though ,are the sturgeon able to go saltwater nad freshwater? unless i,m thinkin the barecuda that looks somethin like the sturgeon? i hust thought i see em on tv fishin for sturgeon in both ocean and freshwater. and boy they do look prehistoric don,t they? i,d hate to be meetin that if i was swimmin. haha wouldn,t you. be missin somethin hahaha hey did i tell ya? i think i told curt, /wiperhunter2/ anywyas, i got ticked lookin at all these fish, and not goin like i use to, haha like my husband and i use to when he was livin, i decided jack has never caught a big fish seein all these fish i showed him,so i BOOKED A CABIN OVER TO NEW YORK FOR A WEEK! HAHA AND I,M GONNA TAKE HIM OUT ON ONTARIO AND GIT HIM SOME BIG FISH! HAHA THAT WAS MY CHRISTMAS PRESENT TO US FROM ME. HHA AIN,T THAT COOL[cool] WELL ANYWAYS CLIFF MY BOY AND ONE OF MY OTHER ADOPTED BOYS SHAUN IS GOIN WITH US. I CAN,T WAIT!!!!!! LITTLE LOUIE MY LONG HAIRED DASHOUND IS GOIN TOO! HAHA[cool] IT WILL BE FUN WATCHIN MY BOYS. JACKS A BIG KID ANYWAYS HAHA the cabins right next to the salmon river, and we can go to selkirk shores and fish off the pier to for the day. god i need this!!! it,s good to have somethin to look forward too ya know? haha after the hell i been thru in the last year and a half. it,s also gonna feel good to git out of town,haha yeah it is terrible bout this town they won,t let any new business in everybioody has to go out of town to work. that like up to northfield willianstown brookfield all those areas use to farm country nad the farmer use to be able to run his farm and make a livin. well thye have to either seel their farm, work out to montpeilier or they git depressed and end up havin heartattacks worryin about not sendin the farm down to their kids and just can,t afford to keep it of the expenditures are more than what their brin in and the state takes it for taxes and puts them in a nursin home till they go. ain,t that just wonderful? humane huh? no wonder i like my dog. they tried to do that to me and my son after my mother died but i fought em. my mothers sister took my mother away from me when i was takkin care of her put her in the nursin home and tried takin everythin ma had, well what do you think? i took care of it!they broke in the house 3 times lookin for the will ma left me and cliff, well i had it hid. if cliff nad i didn,t haveit we,d been screwed. i told the judge the buzzards were comin in, and i like the buzzards cause at least they do what they do out in the open. hahah she had a hard time not laughin haha but anyways she gave the house to us, thank god after all ma had suffered, to keep it for us, and they think they can come in and just take someones life. no dignity whatsoever. that ticvked me off, it was the state, nad my mothers sister. so watch out guys, make sure ya have a will, nd they will break in and try to find it so put it in a safety deposit box money whatever, and if ya start gittin bad, before this sighn everythin over to whoever and have it put threw the town office. or your best bet is to put it thru probatebefore you go so that everythin is ready and they can,t touch anythin you want to leave your kids. i know this is not a subject that is wonderful, but it needs to be talked about. you can do that, alot of opeople don,t know you can take it to probate before you die. you can, so your better off doin it before the buzzard come in. 2 legged anyways. it happens alot up here. that,s what made my ma go sooner. puttin her in the nursin home. anyways dave, sorry i got on this but i ,d hate to see someone else go thru what i went thru on top of dealin with ma,s goin. it was tough. so hear what i,m sayin.it,s gittin so we,re all gonna have to live together to take care of one another in order forus all to survive. also if i wan,t there takin care of ma, i couldn,t of fought for what was ours.what ma wanted. if you don,t turn evertyhin to the kids before you go in the nursin home, the state the hospital, which they tried doin to us will try takin the house for supportin ma while she wsa in the nursin home, so this is why i,m tellin ya. ya have to look out for our own. and think about these things or it isn,t gonna be our way its gonna be theirs. trust me on this one guys! be careful of who you trust in your family too. this is the way it is up here and you are right dave, it is Sad what they do, some big business will come in and take what,s yours after workin all your life for what ya want, for yours, it,s hurray for me and to --- with you attitudes.sorry i got on this, but i want to makde sure where and who gits my fishin pole. haha and my old 30-30. haha and what kind of person it goes to. haha
[signature]
[center][size 1]<@}})))>< Ice Fishing Tip #53 [/size][/center]

[size 5]Well I am fit to be tied,

going through my tip of the day; I have found that I did not include the lifeline on my list of good things to carry with you when venturing on the lake. I can’t believe that I missed placing this one in with my tips.

a 1/4 inch nylon rope 50 - 100 feet long does not take up much space or add much weight on your person if clipped on to your side or draped around your shoulder.

It is a good Idea that every one on the ice carries one, the man who has fallen through the ice may have a rope, but he may not be able to through it out to some one to pull him out.

I had just mentioned this tip to a group of 15 young anglers on Saturday Jan 18th 2003 when the vary next day some one goes through the ice where another young man just happened to have a rope and was able to tie it to himself and jumped in to save the man fallen though.[/size]
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]……
[signature]
[cool]
[signature]
[center][size 2][#ff0000]<*@}))))))X< Ice Fishing Tip number 54[/#ff0000][/size][/center]

How many of you have caught a nice crappie or gill only to loose him at the bottom of the hole?

With out a doubt the loosing fish at the bottom of the hole is second only to loosing them at the top of the hole.

Well my frost bitten friends, there is a remedy for loosing them tidbits at this point of the game.

Pack a spud with you on your trips after drilling your hole take your spud and chip away at the bottom of the hole creating a chamfer on the hole (upside down funnel) the fish will no longer be able to hit that edge and pull off or cut and break the line.

By chamfering the top of the hole you can slide the fish right out of the hole with out having to lift the fish in the air. Them paper mouths (crappie) are notorious at slipping away at the top of the hole. The chamfer will also allow you to get your Ice ladle under the fish and use it as a net.

Following the instructions above will increase your fish fries considerably and save time retying new teardrops to your line.
[signature]
[center][size 2][#ff0000]<*@}))))))X< Ice Fishing Tip number 55[/#ff0000][/size][/center] [left]

[size 3]Ok you got your brand new digital camera for Christmas and you take it out with you on your ice fishing trip to get some chillingly shocking ice fishing reports, and a couple hours passes while sitting on the ice and here it comes the big pay off, what you were waiting for ... I giant pike! Latches on to your line, you get him up to the hole. You even manage to get its head out of the hole, and you find that his body is too big to pull up though the hole with out ripping your hands to shreds. [/size]

[size 3]You of course know that no one is going to believe you in a million years that you caught a mammoth fish so big you couldn’t get through the hole and you had to let it go. You remember you have that brand new digital camera; you grab it and start taking pictures from all sides to get the best shot. And while you are at it you take a couple pic's of your smaller fish laying on the ice.[/size]

[size 3]You let the pike go because you know you are never going to ever get him out with out killing him, and you were just catching him any way just so you could say you got one, a good day all in all. And what a fish tail! And the best thing of all is you have a pic to show every one the accounts of your exaggerations.[/size]

[size 3]You get home and you find that the camera dose not have any pictures in it. You know you put in brand new batteries before you went out on the lake. And the battery is still alive though a bit week when you get home to down load. [/size]

[size 3]Well here is what has happened. The battery lost most of its charge in the sub freezing temps. The camera demand mere juice to run its functions in sub freezing temps as well, so when you went to take your first pic and if you are lucky second or third pic the camera is done. The batteries are shot. [/size]

[size 3]Now you are looking at that camera like it is the biggest waist of time and is a piece of junk, and you wont even consider ever taking it out on another fishing trip with you because is just isn’t reliable.[/size]

[size 3]Guys if you read this tip before you venture in to Jacks Frost's back yard all is not lost, but if you have and are not sure you can trust it, there is still hope.[/size]

[size 3]Remember by dressing in layers, you have an inside shirt pocket under all that thermal baggage and if you did not buy some monstrosity of a camera you can keep in there and there for keep it worm and functioning through your entire fishing trip.[/size]

[/left]
[signature]
Sweet you guys know you stuff. Sweet. I am new here
[signature]
I thankyou for the kind words.[blush]

if I miss somthing feel free to throw it in any time.... I am prone to leaving things out from time to time.

I glad you could make it and find your stay a pleasurable one...[cool]
[signature]