Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bait design
My buddy and I have made several designs for some soft plastic baits that we believe are incredible. What is the payoff for submitting the designs to major companies? (Zoom, Creme, Culprit, etc.)
[signature]
Welcome to the site QC14. Sorry I can't help you with your question but have you contacted those companies to see if they would be interested?
WH2
[signature]
Thanks WH2. I've sent a couple emails out. Still waiting on a reply.
[signature]
I know another bait designer that might be able to shed some light on how he went about selling his design. I can contact him a see what he did, if you like? I do know that he had already used his design and had success with it before he sold it, he even had sold it at a store he owned at the time.
WH2
[signature]
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
[signature]
OK, I'll contact him today and let you know what he say.
[signature]
Quickcatch14- I wish it was so simple as to send in a design and make money. I think you will find shortly that it requires a lot more involvement of time and money and marketing to bring your ideas to fulfillment. The lure business is first and formost a buisness to make money. Competition is stiff and cutthroat. I hope you didn't send your designs off to those companies without patent protections on them? It is too easy for a company to change a lure a little and call it their own,had that happen on a couple lures of mine by a couple companies.
Probably the best way to get your designs out is to do it yourself,if they are as good as you think they are then you should do fine and then the big guys will come calling on you to buy you out. I never went to companies they came to me after seeing my designs. Royalties were never that great for me,top year was about 2,000.00. I owned a tackle store and made more on them selling them to the public. Hope that helps.
I keep thinking of an old buisness saying-If you don't have enough faith in your idea to put all your time and money into it,why should anybody else?
[signature]
Thanks HFT. I haven't sent any of my designs out yet. Just trying to figure out what to do. I'm still a minor, so I don't exactly have the income to support these designs yet. And I'm pretty much clueless on how I could make custom molds for these designs. I'd love to be able to get the ball rolling on my own, just need more info.
[signature]
HFT is the guy I was telling you about, there are two more plastic designers that I know about on the site, I'll contact them as well and see if they can help. How are you making these lures now? I'll guessing they are not made from plastic?
[signature]
I appreciate getting the word out for me. As of now, I'm altering other plastic baits to get the general structure I'm looking for, but by doing this, it involved combining more than one piece of plastic causing the bait to lose its integrity. I'd love to have a one piece mold for it.
[signature]
BFT is loaded with help in figuring how to make plastics and lures[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/gforum.cgi?forum=128."]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/...forum.cgi?forum=128.[/url] also you can go to youtube and find videos on mold making. Money should not get in your way. My best marketing never cost me a dime. Being in the middle of a group of fisherman and being the only one pulling up fish on your lure...giving out samples,they talk and they talk etc
[signature]
I'll start researching the process. And what's that link to? When I click on it, it says permission denied.
[signature]
It used to be a jig and lure making forum. sorry,don't know what happend to it. I got denied also.
[signature]
Go to misc. fishing forums and look for lure and jig making forum it works from there. my link must have been bad
[signature]
Alright I'll check it out!
[signature]