Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would this rod allow me to start musky fishing?
Well I guess first I am curious if it is even worth my time to fish for them. A reservoir near me was stocked this year with 150 6"+ Tiger Musky. in 2007 51 6"+ were stocked, and then in 1990-1991 300 fingerling sized fish were stocked.

Would it be worth my time to try fishing for them? I would be stuck on shore, I know when I was fishing with my cousin in Utah when the water levels dropped they started creeping in the weed beds along shore but I dont know if its the same here, I also dont know if they are targeted very hard here.

For gear, I have my 40 class Shimano reel, currently its spooled with 12 lb mono, if I put a steel leader would that be enough? This isnt a huge fishery and Im not expecting massive fish but one will never trully know whats in those waters.
My rod is a Shimano Clarius, 8'6" MH rod rated for 8-17lb line. Its Lure weight is only 3/8-1 oz.

Technically I think the rod is made more specifically for salmon/steelhead (reason I bought it) but I am curious if it would be sufficient for fishing this resevoir?

Thanks all!
[signature]
I've caught many Pike while bass fishing with an outfit like you have. Steel leader will help and yes target the weedy areas.
[signature]
Yes that rod will do niceley. The 12 lb test will work as well. Add the steel leader and you are ready to go. Catch one and report back with pics. Would love to see them!!!
[signature]
Thanks all, just wanted to make sure the rod had enough back bone so that I didnt over strain the fish.

Guess if the Local reservoir doesnt produce there is a lake up North that has a decent bit of Pike and Bass.

I was digging through my dads tackle box a few years ago and he gave me some older "Berkley Steelon" leaders. He got them 16-20 years ago and never used them, they are 18" 20lb test and dont seem to be rusty. Will they work or should I go get a few new leaders to be safe.
[signature]
Those will work but you might like the action from the 12" as well. I use 6"-8" on my fly rods and 12" + on my other rods.
[signature]
Thanks! Now I just need to find myself a net. Seems anymore Frabil is making the only decent look net, with a decent price.
[signature]
Lots of choices in that category. I use a frabil folding net because it fits my toon better. Downside is hooks, especially trebles get caught in it. I had fun this last spring taking one out after i released a northern pike. spent more time on that than fishing. The best net for catch and release and not having hook vs net issues would be rubber. My next net purchase will be rubber for that reason alone.
[signature]
I really want a Frabil Conservation net, looks like one that would work great for both Tigers as well as Steel Head, Problem is I dont exactly have $100 to spend right now.

I was pondering if a net like one of these would work, at least give me a year or so of fishing to see if I like fishing for toothy critters before I plunk a massive chunk of change on a fish I dont like.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Go...LL_PRODUCT

or the "steelhead conservation" version of this net.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/F...t104427180
[signature]
They should work. How big round are they?
[signature]
Cabelas net is 23"x26"x18"deep (5 year warranty) (Some sort of coating, not sure how safe it is for fish)

Bass Pro is 22"x26"x18" Deep (at about half the cost) (rubber coated polyester)

Still might be better of splurging on the Frabil
[signature]
If you are going to use it for tiger Muskies remember when they get big they are very long.
[signature]
That's what worries me is getting a net that is too small but at the same time I don't want one big enough to catch a baby hippo. Cousins was that size and IMHO it was way to much work to deal with the net and getting the fish out. it was supposed to be the perfect sized net but it was deep!
[signature]
This is the net I use. I have landed a 19" northern in it just fine. This should give you an idea what to get.

http://frabill.com/landing-nets/folding-nets.html
[signature]
I have landed 36" trout and carp with one of those medium measuring nets. I have had their head in the net and had to lay the rod down and grab the tail.
I would advise to go as big as you can handle and bigger than what you "could" catch. If the musky are little then go with one of those nets. If there is a chance at some over 25" you might want to look bigger. Pike & Musky you want to cradle them. Like mentioned
[signature]
C'mon now, how about a hint as to where this Tiger Muskie spot is and the Bass and Pike lake up north are.[Smile]
[signature]
Haha the Bass and Pike are no secret, they are spread from Coeur d'Alene all the way up to the Canadian Border! These Musky how ever I dont know for sure, I just know where some were stocked. [Smile]

If I had a boat or a toon I would rock the cradle, seems like it would work great for holding the fish still, keeping them calm and getting the hook out. Since I fish from shore (usually alone) Ill stick with a net. I had been told that you have to support the weight of a Musky so you dont hurt them which was why I was looking at a "Conservation" style net. I figured the flat bottom would help support the fishes weight IF I needed to lift it with the net (like if I went down to Utah and fish with the cousin in my Row Boat.)

What size net would you guys recomend? I want it to work for both steel head and musky my biggest use for it is to get the fish in my possession and pen it up so I can leave it in the water and get the hook out of its mouth. Im planning on 15-30" trout/steelhead, probably more in the 20"+, so musky have got to be about that size. (pending I dont find a big old 50 incher! [crazy])
[signature]