Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ketchikan Halibut and Kings
I am coming back to Alaska on June 18th to my beloved Ketchikan. Any updates on the current status of fishing in the area? I am renting a 20' boat from Knudson Cove between June 19th and 26th. I am playing captain with a few friends, so any help for an amateur would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Bob
[signature]
There have been a lot of kings caught just outside of Knudson Cove, out near Survey Point and Tatoosh Rocks. Since those are likely Unuk River kings, you are limited to one a day in the Behm Canal right there. You will need to get out past Vallenar Bay and fish the west side of Gravina Island if you want to keep two a day as a non-resident. The annual limit for non-residents is six kings.

The terminal area down by Herring Cove is open now. You are able to keep six kings a day in that area, and none of them count toward your annual limit.

Hopefully some silvers will start showing up by the time you get here as well.

There is decent halibut fishing all along the western coast of Gravina and the eastern coast of POW. Wedge Island, Chasina Point, Nehenta Bay, Grant Cove, and the 20 Fathom Bank were all fairly productive last season.
[signature]
Welcome to the site Ketch and thanks for helping Bob out with he question. If you don't mind me asking, how did you find BFT? Is that a king in your profile picture? Nice fish.
WH2
[signature]
Thanks for the info. You have a great site...just need a few more posts.

I am not sure of the exact rental boat boundaries near Knudson Cove, but the info will help me select some areas within the boundaries.

Thanks again.

Bob
[signature]
[quote Fish_Utah_Bob] rental boat boundaries near Knudson Cove[/quote]

Here you go:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9xPqZE...view?pli=1

This is not my site, I just work here but you were very lucky that someone from the exact area you were asking about answered your question, that almost never happens. Utah is the most active state board on BFT and very helpful as you must know, the rest of the state boards, not so much. We do have a decent Idaho board and the Nevada board isn't real bad but other than that most state boards have little activity.
[signature]