Fishing Forum
Utah Lake Walleye - Printable Version

+- Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Freshwater Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=400)
+--- Forum: Pike, Muskie and Walleye (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=165)
+--- Thread: Utah Lake Walleye (/showthread.php?tid=356396)

Pages: 1 2

Utah Lake Walleye - LloydE - 08-12-2007

Saturday TubeDude, Road, Swedishfish, Fishfinder462, and I fished Utah Lake hoping to hook into some walleye and channel cats. For more information see the Tubing Board. I hooked into a 22” walleye after the sun came up. I was fishing in about 5 feet of water. I was fishing with two small curly tails at the same time. Both were on 1/16 oz minnow head jig hooks. One jig had a chartreuse head with a black body and a chartreuse tail (the walleye took this one), and the other jig had a black head with a white body and tail. I caught white bass, while I was fishing for walleye, with both jigs all morning. At one time I caught two white bass at the same time.

To see a picture of the walleye go to the Tubing Board.
[signature]

Re: [LloydE] Utah Lake Walleye - mactuna - 08-12-2007

Nice Lloyd. Was the W working ? We had a very good day at Starvation.
[signature]

Re: [LloydE] Utah Lake Walleye - Kraizee_Skot - 08-12-2007

[font "Lucida Console"][#ff4040]That was a nice Utah Lake walleye!! Great work[/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]

Re: [mactuna] Utah Lake Walleye - LloydE - 08-12-2007

We had a little wind early in the morning, then a little breeze, and eventually it became very calm. Most of the morning we had excellent fishing weather. Just before noon, however, the wind became unpleasant!
I hear that Starvation is excellent now for walleye fishing! I am anxious to read of your success.
[signature]

Re: [Kraizee_Skot] Utah Lake Walleye - LloydE - 08-12-2007

Thanks Scott! Come and join us!
[signature]

Re: [LloydE] Utah Lake Walleye - mactuna - 08-12-2007

They were not big. but alot and fun.
[signature]

Re: [LloydE] Utah Lake Walleye - CROSSINEYES - 08-12-2007

nice work buddy. on black n green. hmmm i was jsut telling someone about ut lake and black n green in the fall. hmm who was it. nice repot lloyde
[signature]

Re: [LloydE] Utah Lake Walleye - utwalleye - 08-13-2007

nice job lloyde, catching 2 white bass at the same time can be for some fun. my son inlaw and myself caught 13 bouble hook ups one fall out there. later chuck
[signature]

Re: [CROSSINEYES] Utah Lake Walleye - LloydE - 08-13-2007

I'm not proud. I am willing to follow counsel and advice to become a more productive fisherman. I am also the first to admit that I learned much about catching walleye at Utah Lake from you and Chuck!
[signature]

Re: [utwalleye] Utah Lake Walleye - LloydE - 08-13-2007

This was the second time within a week that I caught doubles. Remember that earlier last week when we fished Yuba, I caught two perch at the same time on my bottom bouncer rig. They must have both gone after the crawler at the same time. One got hooked on the top hook on the crawler, and the other on the bottom hook. You, Ken, and I had a great time at Yuba. That was the first time I even saw a pike -- other than through pictures. It was a great thrill to see you hook into two of them, and boat one of them.

Lloyd
[signature]

Re: [LloydE] Utah Lake Walleye - fshslyer36 - 08-13-2007

Sounds like a great trip nice eye
[signature]

Re: [LloydE] Utah Lake Walleye - CROSSINEYES - 08-15-2007

nothing brings bigger Smiles to us than seeing you apply was we share. as well as the others we love to enrole into the eye side. lol
[signature]

Re: [CROSSINEYES] Utah Lake Walleye - utwalleye - 08-17-2007

Is this eye_side kinda like the outer_limits ?? once your in the
eye_side your in for life. lol I kinda like it. later chuck
the eye_side
[signature]

Re: [utwalleye] Utah Lake Walleye - waljustia - 09-17-2007

OK, I have a general question for the whites, and eyes fishermen of Utah Lake.
A lot of fisherman use a double rig. I see many times, no swivel, just a knot which is used to have the double lines. So, I learned how to tie a knot one fisherman showed me. BUT, it was obvious that one of the lines coming out from the knot was nowhere NEAR 75% line strength.

So, it bugs me knowing that the knot holds, but the line streangth is much weaker now.
So, do you guys that double rig your plastics (Or whatever else for that matter) do you use a knot, or do you use a swivel?
If it's a knot, how do you tie it?
[signature]

Re: [waljustia] Utah Lake Walleye - CROSSINEYES - 09-18-2007

us old timer eye chasers always go tandom. we never use a swivle. i dont know the name of the knot ill get utwalleye to fill the blanks for ya on that. if tied wrong it is weak. if tied correct. its great. you will always get moore eyes at utah lake with tandom. ken
[signature]

Re: [CROSSINEYES] Utah Lake Walleye - waljustia - 09-18-2007

OK, that's what I thought.
So, here is the knot I tie. Tell me if it is even close..

You have your bottom line all ready tied up. Go up the line about a foot and a half. Then pull out section of line. Do an overhand knot, but don't pull it tight, then wrap the long section of knot through itself like 3 times (Kind of like a uni-knot) then, pull it tight and trim off one of the sides.. See picture. (My kindergartener draws better than me, so.. sorry)
[signature]

Re: [waljustia] Utah Lake Walleye - CROSSINEYES - 09-18-2007

o my no... that has got to be why you are getting the results you are. here is a crude way i do it, i take the end run up line about 20 inches. i just make a loop in the line close to the top of the loop. trick is go threw the loop 2 or 3 times like an over hand knot. cut about 3/4,s the way to bottom of loop. so one jig is about 10 inches of the knot the other aroud 14 or 16 from the knot. i suck at drawing diag,s. its way easy if you try it a few time like 2 you will get it. its way faster and stronger than the knot you been doing. ken
[signature]

Re: [CROSSINEYES] Utah Lake Walleye - waljustia - 09-18-2007

Hmm... I'll give it a try when I get home. See what I come up with, hopefully it's the knot you described.

Thanks for the tip!
[signature]

Re: [waljustia] Utah Lake Walleye - Saberfish - 09-18-2007

[black][size 3]Here's a simple knot that you may try. It should be as strong as any you can tie.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Before you tie on any baits, take your standing line, cut a couple feet from it, and tie a surgeon's knot up the standing line (distance your preference). Use three wraps instead of the usual two. Now you have two lines coming from the bottom and two from the top of the knot. Cut of the excess line at the top, and you have two ends to tie on your baits.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]This is a simple knot that fly fishermen have used for years, and find that it is very strong.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]If you need some help with this knot, just Google it on the net, and you will master it in minutes.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[url "http://www.killroys.com/knots/surgeon.htm"]http://www.killroys.com/knots/surgeon.htm[/url]
[signature]

Re: [Saberfish] Utah Lake Walleye - waljustia - 09-18-2007

I like that solution!
I used to be a fly fisherman.. and have used the surgeon's Knot before.. Funny.. I never thought of using it here in this situation, coincidentally, I am also not very good at chess. [cool] It will work perfect! Surgeons knot is one of the few that will consistently test in @ almost 100%.
Here's what's funny, after looking at it, I think that Ken's method is the same as yours. I'll have to go home and test it out now. But, the real testing will probably come Saturday around Sunrise [Wink]
Thanks Guys!
[signature]