Fishing Forum
State Parks ATV on ice rules - Printable Version

+- Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Utah Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=386)
+--- Forum: Utah Fishing General (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Thread: State Parks ATV on ice rules (/showthread.php?tid=790782)

State Parks ATV on ice rules - TubeDude - 01-10-2013

[#0000FF]I sent an email to Jeff Rasmussen, in admin for the Utah State Parks. I asked about the regs for ATVs on Willard and other State Park waters during the winter. Here is his reply.

[/#0000FF]
I found rule (R651-411-2 OHV Use Restrictions) in our State Park Rules in the Utah Administrative Code that outlines which State Parks allow OHV's on the ice and which ones that do not. Here is how it reads:
R651-411-2. OHV Use-Restrictions.
(1) OHVs are to be used only in designated areas.
(2) Designated ice areas for OHV use are only those ice areas that are accessed via the boat ramps to public ice fishing areas. These areas are at Bear Lake, East Canyon, Escalante, Hyrum, Jordanelle, Millsite, Otter Creek, PaliSade, Piute, Red Fleet, Rockport, Scofield, Starvation, Steinaker and Yuba state parks.
(3) Responsibility for any accidents or problems while using OHVs in state parks rests with the user.

Please keep in mind that this only applies to State Parks. Many popular ice fishing destinations in Utah fall under different jurisdictions. As you can see, Willard Bay is not included in the list of State Parks where you can operate an OHV on the ice. The decision to not allow OHV's to operate on the ice at Willard Bay was made because of the high unpredictability of the ice there. The South Marina does not have predictable ice thicknesses because of the water inflow there and many other areas within Willard Bay are weakened by "warm -water" springs. Basically it was determined that Willard Bay has a higher probability of safety concerns than other water bodies that have ice fishing.

I plan to get with our current administrative staff and re-examine this policy to ensure the current restrictions make sense. If any changes need to be made, we will need to get them approved by the State Parks Board.
[signature]

Re: [TubeDude] State Parks ATV on ice rules - fish_fear_me2 - 01-10-2013

Good report. Great to get accurate information straight from the horses mouth so to speak. Thanks!!!!
[signature]

Re: [TubeDude] State Parks ATV on ice rules - JLW - 01-10-2013

Thanks TD. I am taking it that Pineview is not a state park. I have had my wheeler on it and have seen lots others. The local ranger told us one time at cemetary that we could drive accross the beach on the south side only if there was snow on it. No snow, No go. That seemed to be the only rule there except to have a sticker. Is that what you have heard for there also? Fishon
[signature]

Re: [JLW] State Parks ATV on ice rules - fish_fear_me2 - 01-10-2013

A couple years ago I was checked by a DNR guy for license. He was on a 4 wheeler so I assume its ok.
[signature]

Re: [fish_fear_me2] State Parks ATV on ice rules - JLW - 01-10-2013

A coupe years ago there were a couple Biologists running around on them too and stopped by to ask about the fishing. There just isn` t too many access points to get on the reservoir when there is no snow for a wheeler. Fishon
[signature]

Re: [JLW] State Parks ATV on ice rules - TubeDude - 01-10-2013

[#0000FF]My understanding is that Pineview is federal...plus a couple of private access points. Best (legal) OHV access is either at Cemetery Point launch ramp or the Port Ramp. No restrictions I know of once you are on the ice.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Re: [TubeDude] State Parks ATV on ice rules - JLW - 01-10-2013

Thanks TD.........
[signature]

Re: [JLW] State Parks ATV on ice rules - bowdude - 01-10-2013

Soooo... Just because there is a state park located at the lake or res., does that mean the entire body of water is state park or only the ground or area designated as a state park? Scofield has a state park and lots of private ground. Which is it, state or private? I can see them having jurisdiction on their property just as the private land owners do, but I question their jurisdiction on entire body of water? As you enter the State Park on the North end of Scofield, there is a sign that says no OHV's. I respect that sign and do not take mine off the trailer in that area. But I only obey that sign on that property, no where else around the lake does it apply in my thinking.

What say the rest of you?
[signature]

Re: [TubeDude] State Parks ATV on ice rules - SBennett - 01-11-2013

I am Confused.
Doesn't paragraph (3) of the OHV Use-Restrictions protect the State from liability of atv use on Willard?
[signature]

Re: [bowdude] State Parks ATV on ice rules - TubeDude - 01-11-2013

[cool][#0000FF]As a general rule, a lake is considered under state jurisdiction if it has one or more state parks somewhere around the perimeter. At least as it pertains to what happens ON the lake. Whenever there are private concessions or access points operated by city, county or other entities those operators usually set their own rules for whatever happens ashore but not on the main lake.

However, in spite of what a State Park may have in their regulations it is not that uncommon for folks to do whatever they want after going out from other concessions. There probably needs to be more review and discussion to better establish priority and jurisdiction.

Hard to agree with arbitrary restrictions that do not seem well thought out...especially if they hit you where you like to play.

Jeff Rasmussen advised me that they are doing some further review on some of the State Parks policies right now. If you have a good case to make, you can contact someone at the State Parks office and make your concerns known. Without input from the public (fee payors) they can't always be counted on to make decisions in our favor.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Re: [SBennett] State Parks ATV on ice rules - TubeDude - 01-11-2013

[cool][#0000FF]That would seem to be the intent. But if someone deliberately violated the rules and harmed themselves...or others...the State Parks still gets called to save their careless butts. I have heard of Rangers refusing to respond to some calls, but I can't imagine they would let someone drown.

Same old story. Use the language to try to save your behind in advance...in spite of public stupidity. Not sure how the courts would look at it if it were the subject of a lawsuit. Right now they prohibit OHVs. That should remove most liability concerns. But with the way courts treat things these days you never know.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Re: [bowdude] State Parks ATV on ice rules - OCF - 01-11-2013

On the Federal reservoirs, the Bureau of Reclamation has agreements with various concessionaire to manage the recreation on the reservoir. This generally includes the entire reservoir and the Federal lands surrounding the reservoir. If State Parks is the concessionaire, they manage all of the recreation on the entire body of water and the surrounding lands.

Several reservoirs are managed by the Forest Service - Strawberry, Current Creek, Pineview, Joes Valley & Flaming Gorge, for example. The FS subsequently subcontracts out the management of the recreation to American Land & Leasure (I believe on Strawberry & Current Creek, not sure on the others).

One reservoir is manage by an independent concessionaire - Echo.

Scofield is a Federal reservoir & managed by State Parks. The entire body of water is Federal - there is no private land that is submerged. Some of the lands surrounding the reservoir are in dispute - are they private vs. Federal. I believe the dispute is being worked out.

If I am not mistaken, State Parks can enforce safety & law on anybody of water in the state.
[signature]

Re: [TubeDude] State Parks ATV on ice rules - dubob - 01-11-2013

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Here is a link that covered this and more back in December 2008:[/#800000][/font] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Utah_Fishing_Forum_C55/gforum.cgi?post=458483;search_string=OHV;#458483"][#000000]Ice Fishing & OHV Use[/#000000][/url]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]It seems like we need to be reminded about the vagaries of OHV use on the ice every season.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]

Re: [dubob] State Parks ATV on ice rules - TubeDude - 01-11-2013

[cool][#0000FF]Thanks Bob.

Doesn't really pertain to me. No OHVs besides my float tube.

But at my age there are a lot of things that I need to be reminded of.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]