Fishing Forum
Throw me a bone on willard - Printable Version

+- Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Utah Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=386)
+--- Forum: Utah Fishing General (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Thread: Throw me a bone on willard (/showthread.php?tid=975117)

Throw me a bone on willard - americanforkdude - 04-28-2016

Only fished willard once. I didn't realize it was as big as it really is. I have a 14' aluminum and intend on fishing it this weekend but clueless where to dish? Can anyone give me a general location? Also the South marina was super shallow last time I went, is the North marina any better?

Do you usually fish out in the middle or somewhat near the shore?I'm ok on tactics and speed, just need to be pointed in the right direction.
[signature]

Re: [americanforkdude] Throw me a bone on willard - wall3y3 - 04-28-2016

You should have no trouble launching at either marina now. As far as places there are a lot of people on here that have fished Willard a lot more than I have but my experience has been that there are fish all around the banks and where there is some structure on the bottom. This Saturday is probably going to be busy. There will be a lot of people just outside the north marina mostly looking for crappie. Be careful the weather forecast for this weekend is for some wind.
[signature]

Re: [americanforkdude] Throw me a bone on willard - TubeDude - 04-28-2016

[#0000ff]This is a great time to fish...most years. This year we are experiencing a lot of weather fronts and rising and falling temps. The fish bite better when water temps are up and things are stabilized.
[/#0000ff]
[signature]

Re: [americanforkdude] Throw me a bone on willard - k2muskie - 04-28-2016

You'll see the armada of boats trust me...work around them on outside we start out with one rod bottom bouncing a worm harness and longer rod trolling a flicker shad or rattle trap...OBSERVE....if you aren't satisfied...EXPLORE...using mentioned items. Trolling sped for us .7-1.2 with bow mount.
[signature]

Re: [americanforkdude] Throw me a bone on willard - fishgiver - 04-28-2016

Be aware of the winds, it can white cap rapidly. Wind forecasted to be 15 to 20 mph.
[signature]

Re: [TubeDude] Throw me a bone on willard - k2muskie - 04-28-2016

[quote TubeDude][#0000FF]This is a great time to fish...most years. This year we are experiencing a lot of weather fronts and rising and falling temps. The fish bite better when water temps are up and things are stabilized.

But here is something to chew on (bone) for a couple of days.
[/#0000FF][/quote]

^^^^THIS^^^^
[signature]

Re: [TubeDude] Throw me a bone on willard - AlexB - 04-28-2016

How come the water is so murky in Willard?
[signature]

Re: [AlexB] Throw me a bone on willard - PACKFAN - 04-29-2016

Its a shallow lake, it doesn't take long when the strong winds pick up to get her stirred up, also I'm sure the water coming into Willard is pretty dirty with all the rain we have had.
[signature]

Re: [TubeDude] Throw me a bone on willard - Moosedog - 04-29-2016

TubeDude you are truly Mr Willard! That is great info. Thanks for all you do[Smile]
[signature]

Re: [Moosedog] Throw me a bone on willard - FatBiker - 04-29-2016

When TD speaks, I not only listen but also write it down and ask him to repeat it again.
[signature]

Re: [AlexB] Throw me a bone on willard - TubeDude - 04-29-2016

[quote AlexB]How come the water is so murky in Willard?[/quote]

[#0000FF]PACKFAN pretty much answered the question.

The big problem with Willard...especially during times when the water level is down...is that there are exposed mud flats. Winds make waves that wash over that mud and stir things up.

The major downside of murky water in Willard is that it makes it hard for sight feeders like wipers to see and track their prey. So they are not as likely to see and attack a faster moving lure. Trollers gotta slow down and use lures with lots of rattle and flash.

Another "fallout" from the murky water is that it impacts schooling fish...like crappies and perch. They can't see each other in the turbid water so they are less likely to group up. You catch singles but seldom doubles or more.

Walleyes and cats are better suited for hunting under poor visibility conditions. But both are more active and aggressive when they can see their prey and you will catch more on lures in clearer water. And you will do better in murky water if you tip your lures with crawler...or use a good fish attractant.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Re: [Moosedog] Throw me a bone on willard - TubeDude - 04-29-2016

[quote Moosedog]TubeDude you are truly Mr Willard! That is great info. Thanks for all you do[Smile][/quote]

[#0000FF]You're welcome. And thanks for the kindly words.

Here is the table of contents for all the chapters on FISHING WILLARD BAY...plus a link to the intro chapter. Hope you like it.

[/#0000FF] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=116360"]TABLE OF CONTENTS.pdf[/url] (250 KB)
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=116361"]1. FACTS, STATS & HISTORY.pdf[/url] (1.07 MB)
[signature]

Re: [TubeDude] Throw me a bone on willard - MBM1969 - 04-29-2016

Pat,

Here some place online I can go to purchase your complete Willard book/report and any of your reports on other waters?

Great stuff!

Mark
[signature]

Re: [MBM1969] Throw me a bone on willard - TubeDude - 04-29-2016

[#0000FF]To keep costs down and to be able to make updates as needed I produce all of my own CD/books. Shoot me a PM and I will provide a list and prices. My main works are TUBING AND TOONING, FISHING UTAH LAKE and WILLARD BAY. But I also have non-CD writeups on JIG FISHING, FISHING STARVATION, JIG MAKING, etc. I am currently working on an extensive writeup on Deer Creek.

Let me know what you are most interested in and I will work out some kind of deal. I can mail the stuff out at no postage cost...or you can pick them up at my tackletorium in Taylorsville.

As you can see, I don't mind sharing individual chapters when members have a specific need. But I do charge a bit for the complete works...or combo deals. I work cheap...and I'm worth it.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Re: [americanforkdude] Throw me a bone on willard - mtncat1 - 05-01-2016

you should do a search on this site old coot wrote up a really nice article on Willard it is a very good read from a very good fisherman .
[signature]

Re: [k2muskie] Throw me a bone on willard - HD7000 - 05-01-2016

[quote k2muskie] Trolling sped for us .7-1.2 with bow mount.[/quote]

Bump it up to 3mph! If no GPS, go about twice as fast as you would troll for trout. It feels way fast, but the wipers love it! Plus you can cover a lot more water in half the time... The biggest factor is finding the fish. Black and silver cranks/jerkbait are usually the go to lure! Good luck!
[signature]

Re: [HD7000] Throw me a bone on willard - fishgiver - 05-01-2016

Why would the trolling speed need to be increased if you do not have GPS?
Thanks..
[signature]

Re: [fishgiver] Throw me a bone on willard - AlexB - 05-01-2016

Fish are attracted to the GPS signals, that's why you want to go slower, because they will "come to you".

If you don't have a GPS then you have to go the fish. In order to cover a little more ground(water) you want to increase the speed at which you troll.
[signature]

Re: [fishgiver] Throw me a bone on willard - HD7000 - 05-01-2016

Sorry, I guess I wasn't very clear...if you have GPS telling you your speed, go 3 MPH. If you have no way to gage your speed, go twice as fast as you would troll for trout. Hope that helps
[signature]