Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hobo fishing kit.
I saw this on a web site and thought it might be useful to make and carry in your truck or car. It would work well in hikers backpack. Would come in handy in a survival situation etc. I think I'll make one from scraps that I have around the house.

Hobo fishing kit

[Image: 6789175397_e33e9f778d_o.jpg]
Its a hobo fishing kit, or pocket fishing kit, to go in my BOB in the back of the truck. Basically a length of 1" Schd 40 PVC with a plug in one end and a threaded fitting/cap on the other. Its maybe 10" long or so. Inside is an assortment of hooks, weights, bobbers, small panfish lures, and some extra fishing line. 10 lb spider wire monofilament is wound on the end, and a paracord loop lanyard is threaded through a hole in the cap (to go around your wrist). I camo painted it with flat paint and sprayed several coats of flat sealer to help protect the paint a bit.

To use it, you hold your thumb on the wrap of monofilament and cast it underhanded. Then you re-wrap the line onto the end with your other hand to retrieve the lure (or a fish!). Works pretty good. Any stockpond around here that doesn't go dry in the summer tends to have fish - whether they were stocked there intentionally or not. This rig is great for panfish (bluegill, sunfish), crappie, bass, and catfish as long as they aren't too big. Total cost of the rig (less lures and stuff) was probably under $5.

Still to add: a wrap of heavyweight bowfishing line on the outside for making drop lines for catfish, and a short wrap of paracord for use as a stringer.

Yeah... I know it looks kinda like a pipe bomb. As with many things in life appearances can be deceiving Smile
[signature]