Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
F/G Mac Attack Saturday 25th
Well finally made it out to Flaming Gorge for the first time this year. The weather was great water was like glass. We took a couple of first timers to go after the bigger fish at the Gorge. Well got on the water around 7:30 am and had the first fish in the boat within 20 minutes. Only a 34LB Mack with the winner going to the 89yr old man after a 10 minute fight. Then an hour later we boated another fish this was 36LB Mack that took about 20 min to boat. Last fish of the day was a 24LB Mack. All fish were looking good, water temp was 40.4 degrees. I will post some pictures after I download them, and ask the other people if they don't mind me showing their catches. Glad to have open water again to go fishing. I seen about 12 other boats out there, not much being reported or seen catching, a few but not as good as it was last year this time. I believe the main concentration of fish are still up by the ICE Flows I am not for sure.
[signature]
Same day we caught a 43", 39", and 34" lake trout trolling! Fun day! Next day caught 4 fish from 28-33 inches. We weren't graphing a ton of fish though. [fishon]
[signature]
Great report, sure sounded like a fun trip... Cool to see 89 year olds wrestle with a nice Mac... Thanks for the report I hope to get down there this spring... Later J
[signature]
[quote WesternWalker]Well finally made it out to Flaming Gorge for the first time this year. The weather was great water was like glass. We took a couple of first timers to go after the bigger fish at the Gorge. Well got on the water around 7:30 am and had the first fish in the boat within 20 minutes. Only a 34LB Mack with the winner going to the 89yr old man after a 10 minute fight. Then an hour later we boated another fish this was 36LB Mack that took about 20 min to boat. Last fish of the day was a 24LB Mack. All fish were looking good, water temp was 40.4 degrees. I will post some pictures after I download them, and ask the other people if they don't mind me showing their catches. Glad to have open water again to go fishing. I seen about 12 other boats out there, not much being reported or seen catching, a few but not as good as it was last year this time. I believe the main concentration of fish are still up by the ICE Flows I am not for sure.[/quote]

Awesome to hear it, were you guys fishing swim beach area? Jigging or trolling? Were you finding them deep or cruising the shallows like I have heard from a few others? Hard to target them right now with being so spread out. We are heading up after work Thursday to catch a few. Did you guys try for kokes at all? Sorry for the questions, but I am taking a couple gorge newbies up and want to show them a good time. Looking forward to pictures.
[signature]
wondering the same, Im looking to get up there ASAP (work and weather depending)
[signature]
Trolled the depths. Most were in the channel area. We seen a lot of people jigging in the swim beach area but not a lot being caught. We did not target Kokes due to the water temp being so cold I thought they would not be too active yet. Didn't see any ice unless you are north of anvil. Just uploaded the photos on the original post. Good luck.
[signature]
[quote WesternWalker]Trolled the depths. Most were in the channel area. We seen a lot of people jigging in the swim beach area but not a lot being caught. We did not target Kokes due to the water temp being so cold I thought they would not be too active yet. Didn't see any ice unless you are north of anvil. Just uploaded the photos on the original post. Good luck.[/quote]

I can tell by the pictures exactly where you were. Was that big mac in the last picture caught from shore? Did you guys catch and release or keep a few?
[signature]
We caught all in the boat but had one that just would not recover so it was brought to the smoker yesterday. We always catch and release if we can this was the first one that did not make it. Photos last longer.
[signature]
[quote WesternWalker]We caught all in the boat but had one that just would not recover so it was brought to the smoker yesterday. We always catch and release if we can this was the first one that did not make it. Photos last longer.[/quote]

I kind of figured as much. Fingers crossed for good weather this weekend!
[signature]
Have you ever considered buying a "laker saver"! It gets the fish back to depth so it can recover. All big lake trout fisherman should have this on their boat to help take care of the fish! Good report. Glad you got into em!
[signature]
I was out that same day. We trolled the edges of flats for laker pups feeding in the shallows. They sure were shallow we caught most of the fish in 15ft. Took home a couple meals worth of 3 lbers.
[signature]
Wow, looks like you had a great day. Inspirational seeing your 89 year old partner still getting it done.
[signature]
+1 Elkaholic!!! Westernwalker get yourself one of these laker savers from Capt Jim Williams, they work great.[Wink]
[signature]
What is a lake saver? I have never heard of it, if it helps save the fish I am in. I hate to kill any fish I would rather gets photos and return for another day. Any help on this item I am listening.
[signature]
Here is the web site for a Fish Saver. Great pictures and a great day. I/m jealous.
http://fishflaminggorge.com/laker-saver/
[signature]
You can make them at home big or small for next to nothing. See Attachment.
[signature]
If you make your own, be sure they're heavy enough if to be used on big lakers. During my experimentation years, I found you need 2-3 pounds of lead for a bloated 20 pounder, and 4 pounds for fish from 30-50. The ones I make have 4 pounds. If you make your own, you can use a few single one-pound lead weights tied together, or keep them on snaps and snap on the amount you think you need. Before I had the mold and was making my one-peice ones, we used a wire coat hanger formed into shape with the appropriate one-pound balls. They worked most of the time, but sometimes took more than one attempt to release.

Whether you make one or buy one, I hope everyone carries something because it will eventually happen, and its usually a huge fish with a kokanee blocking the throat/air passage. A downrigger can also be used for those who have them. Clip to the lip, lower the fish, and really jerk on it! The wire descenders release easier, with just a pull.
[signature]
[quote Tarponjim]If you make your own, be sure they're heavy enough if to be used on big lakers. During my experimentation years, I found you need 2-3 pounds of lead for a bloated 20 pounder, and 4 pounds for fish from 30-50. The ones I make have 4 pounds. If you make your own, you can use a few single one-pound lead weights tied together, or keep them on snaps and snap on the amount you think you need. Before I had the mold and was making my one-peice ones, we used a wire coat hanger formed into shape with the appropriate one-pound balls. They worked most of the time, but sometimes took more than one attempt to release.

Whether you make one or buy one, I hope everyone carries something because it will eventually happen, and its usually a huge fish with a kokanee blocking the throat/air passage. A downrigger can also be used for those who have them. Clip to the lip, lower the fish, and really jerk on it! The wire descenders release easier, with just a pull.[/quote]

How slow/fast should the descent be, and is 70-80 ft down good enough to get them back into their target oxygen area? I realize that number changes with water temps, but I would think after May/June when it warms up on the surface they will be a bit deeper as opposed to cruising the shallows.
[signature]
The "experts" say get 'em down as fast as they will go. I used to lower them slowly, but the biologists I've read and emailed said fast is good. (Not Utah or Wyoming bios, FYI) I usually let them go down to within 20 or 30 feet from the bottom of where I caught them. So that usually means 60-80 feet. Definitely below the thermocline once it sets up in late spring.
[signature]
Thanks for the link to the Web page. I think if I had one of these we could have saved this one. Exactly what they said happens to the fish did happen. Now I know there is something to help I will have to either buy or make one. Great ideas from great people on this site.
[signature]