Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pancake downrigger weights
I'm thinking of trying pancake or fish shaped weights to lessen blow back.
Do the pancakes track good or do they wander and tangle?
[signature]
They track very good, never had a problem with my pancake weight wandering or tangling.
[signature]
Have you used the fish shaped ones? I'm wondering if they have less blow back.
[signature]
No, I have not used the fish shaped weights but a few members have, hopefully one of them can respond to your post.
[signature]

Pacmen , I use the fish shaped downrigger weights and I've never had an issue with them of any kind.
[signature]
I have used the fish shaped ones and really like them. Problem is I have never used the pancake ones so don't have a comparison. I likely will not be changing anytime soon. If you look on KSL.com you can find them pretty cheap - there are two guys on there that cast them. I have had good experience with them.
[signature]
I run fish shaped ones that are coated with a rubber type coating. I really like them, although a have little experience with other shapes. Each one the tail is tweaked slightly different to cause them to track away from the boat. Each is a different color, so I don't get Confused and run them opposite, so they track closer. On a side/unrelated note, I discovered chamberlain releases. What a difference maker. Those things are the bomb. Totally adjustable for trigger and rod tension. Highly recommend.
[signature]
thanks I'll look on ksl.[reply][/reply]
[signature]
Thanks. I''ve been using scotty releases, but am not opposed to trying something new to see if i like it better. i'll try out the chamberlain ones.
[signature]
I have the fish shaped ones as well I bought them from the guy in Clearfield that has them on ksl and I also have the black and green scotty releases they work great as well..
[signature]
Also watch ebay. I ordered two of the fish shaped weights and they were shipped to my door for $55.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Chamberlain releases are GREAT especially for small slick braid..
[signature]
I have fished both the fish shaped and the pancakes. I fish with pancakes on my boat and my dad fishes with the fish shaped on his boat. I have no complaints with either of them. They both track good. If I had to make one choice it would be the pancakes. There MIGHT be a tiny bit less of blow back with the pancakes over the fish shaped weights...and when I say tiny, I mean tiny. We both use 8lb pound weights and dad is thinking on maybe even going to 10lb. We both run big jon downriggers.
[signature]
Thanks, good to hear from someone who has fished with both of them.
[signature]
Sure thing. Honestly either weight would work just fine, especially if you are fishing the middle of the water column. If you were dragging them in the mud for big lake trout, then I would probably go with a more "custom" shape so they wouldn't get snagged.

Like I was saying, the fish shape may have the slightest bit more of blow back than the pancakes but it is really quite negligible. Price might be the ultimate deciding factor. I'm not up to date on all the costs but I think we have some 8lb pancakes at Sportsmans in heber for right around $49.

I definitely would steer clear of the round balls, just my opinion though.
[signature]
Chamberlain releases are far and away the best release , like another said ,especially for slick braids, I wish I could figure out how to use a chamberlain on a shuttle hawk, I use pancake weights and torpedo weights, all in 8 lb weight, I can't tell any difference in blowback, if I go to the bottom at the gorge I have a 12 lb. round ball to drag in the mud, I don't think it hangs up as easily, when I do lose the ball, I i think I will make some stick weights. And try them .
[signature]
How much do you want for them? I'm not interested in stacker types if that's what they are.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I'll dig them out today or tomorrow and take a picture of them and PM you.[/#][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
That's an interesting observation. I was concerned with intentionally twisting a line to put in the release, and have stayed away from releases that required that type of application. I do everything possible to avoid twist of any sort- so I was naturally suspect. I carefully inspected my line several times to see if damage was as being caused and found none. If fact, I think I could tell the pinch pads of my other style we're doing more damage than twisting the line. I use p-line floroclear. It's a coated line, so that may be the difference. I have well over 15 sets on it with no problem yet, although I'm sure not to the exact same set back. I'll keep an eye on that going forward, but so far the that potential problem would not be enough to make me stop using them. Using them has solved way more problems then they have created for me so far, but good info to watch for.
[signature]
I use pancake weights and once tried to use a 8 lb with just a light flasher set connect to the rear loop of the weight. Without the drag of a heavier set on that back end it weaved back and forth in the water causing action on the pole. It wasn't detrimental - it just took some getting used to. I set a midline release a foot above the weight for the actual fishing line snap.
[signature]