Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cabela's Deluxe Ice-Shelter Kit?
Does anybody have any experience with Cabela's Ice shelter kit or offer any advice? Is the plywood you supply the actual bottom or does it fit into a plastic sled base? It looks pretty good but you cannot see the details in their catalog picture. Any infor would be appreciated. Thanks.
[signature]
I am quite certain that the plywood that you supply is the floor, and also what you would drag it on. I considered one of their kits when I purchased my Shappell last year. I didn't get one because dragging one by hand (I don't have a snowmobile or a four wheeler) with the weight of that plywood floor was more than I wanted to attempt.
[signature]
My long time fishing and hunting partner has 2 of them. They are 5 x 6 if I remember right and about that tall. The fabric is heavier than the Shapell that I have, very roomy and very well built. You have to supply the bottom. It is not all that heavy and folds into a 5' x 3' x 3 inches thick size. Very stable in a wind storm (had it out in several, including one at the gorge and one at fish lake which blew the others over). He made a small sleigh to place it on mounted on two old ski's he bought at a yard sale. It pulls really easy. However, we have snowmobiles and that makes it easier yet. I was going to buy one this winter until I saw the Eskimo Quick Flip III and bought it instead. For the cost and the quality, I'd not hesitate. He used 1/2 inch painted chip board with a 10 inch hole cut in 2 of the corners and 2x2's around the perimeter to hold the fabric in place.
[signature]
Sounds encouraging. Thanks. MR. J.
[signature]
How easy is it to pull with plywood on the bottom or have you made some type of sled for it?
[signature]