Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice Fishing Boots
So, I know this has been brought up before but out of curiosity, what is everyones go to boot choice? I currently am using a pair of baffins but after the deep slush of last year and filling my boots with water I am considering going with a pair of high top insulated muck boots. Anyone run this set up or what do you use to keep you dry on the wet days?
[signature]
I wear a pair of Arctic Sport Muck Boots for hunting , four wheeling, Ice fishing and ranch work in Idaho. Basically I'm wearing them all the time from this time of year through spring. My feet stay warm and dry and my socks don't fall down.
[signature]
I wear my 400 gram Danner hunting boots with a medium weight wool sock, then i throw on a pair of mudder boots that i picked up from IFA for $20. I throw plastic bags over each foot, helps to slide my hunting boots inside the mudders. Been doing it for over 15 years and feet have always been happy
[signature]
Baffin makes a boot called the Titan that is essentially a muck style boot (full rubber, completely waterproof) with great insulation. I'd recommend it.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]I currently have a pair of Baffin boots. They replaced a 35 year old pair of military 'Mickey Mouse' boots. The Mickey boots were far better at keeping my feet warm. The military muck-luks I was issued in Alaska worked at -20 when we were ice fishing on the Naknek River at King Salmon, AK. I don't remember that the muck-luks were water proof.

IMHO, you can't beat the Mickey boots for ice fishing. And the best part is that they are available from a lot of internet sources and are generally cheaper than any of today's commercial boots.
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I got a pair of those Baffin last year in a sale for around $40 a pair and they were great boots, kept my feet warm and dry... They are a little flimsy, but still worked great!! I got some Artic Muck boots this fall and like Stickhorse mentioned I wear them all the time, but they are a little thicker than my last similar Muck boots, so I think they will be good ones for the winter and ice fishing.. they are a lot more supportive and durable than the Baffins, however, they were also a $100 more a pair... We'll see if they are as warm as the Baffins... It's hard to beat those felt liners in a boot for warmth... I had those Baffins ice fishing in 15-20 below last winter and my feet were fine, they got a little cool, but usually that cold and my feet are freezing, so I was happy with them... Later J
[signature]
Another satisfied Muck Boots owner. I have the Woody Max boots and it has served me well for the last three ice fishing seasons. I have encountered deep slush, especially at the Berry, and an occassional leg dip in a 10" auger hold and I've ended up with dry feet and even legs. The Woody Max is rated less than the Arctic versions but it has kept my feet warm and dry.
[signature]
Cabela's Trans Alaska III boots. Love them for ice fishing. Warm and dry!!!!!
[signature]
I have a pair of sorels that are awesome. anyithing that has a rubber bottom is the key
[signature]
I'd have to agree with DuBob on the merits of the Mickeys....can't get cold feet in them, relatively inexpensive (you can get new or used) and completely waterproof rubber, top to bottom.....unless you step too far into someone's 10' ice hole!! .... which I have done, but with these my foot stayed warm because of the amazing insulation.....Only drawback - they're a little heavy....Guluk...
[signature]
I have two favorites and choose depending upon conditions.

When the ice is dry or has dry powdery snow or just a little slush, I wear Crispi Hunter boots. They are a hunting boot with excellent foot and ankle support that makes standing and walking all day comfortable even when backpacking heavy. They have insulation and my feet stay warm with wearing them with wool socks. They are breathable leather with Gore-Tex, so they are fully waterproof yet my feet don't even get the slightest bit damp in them and that's nice.

When the ice is covered by wet slush, I wear waders, but not because the boots are more waterproof as the Crispi hunting boots are fine with slush and instead because with ice fishing I kneel a lot and need to be waterproof to kneel in the slush.

I bought electric boot heaters and often have them with me, but never used them even fishing in very cold weather because I have excellent circulation and produce plenty of heat using food as my fuel. I have them for preparedness in general and to be able to provide well for the comfort of guests that I invite to fish with me. I like to introduce friends to ice fishing and tell them they don't need to buy anything special for the trip because, being heavily into preparedness, I have plenty of extras in warm clothing and boots.
[signature]