Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry memorial day - funnel cloud
I think the weather report scared many fishermen from fishing Strawberry today. The weather started out beautiful. Blue sky, a little cold but almost no wind. Sun came up right on time at 0600 as we were cruising out to the spot we have been getting quite a few the last week.

Riggers stacked at 29 and 19 on one side - 35 and 25 on the other. It was a Chinese fire drill. It was hard to keep all 4 lines in the water at once. At least twice we had 3 on at once. Good thing there were 3 of us in the boat. Some were cutts but most were kokes. Some came off on the way in and we turned back 4 smaller ones that were not hooked hard.

At 11 kokes on board, my brother in law wanted to fish for a rainbow, so we pulled the riggers and headed for shore in Renegade. No luck on the rainbow and then the wind picked up.

On the way back from Renegade, we looked across the lake toward the ladders and saw this funnel cloud. It touched down twice. Not being from Kansas, I had never seen such a sight. Here are a couple of the photos we took. It was kind of exciting.
[signature]
Those pictures are cool. I showed my wife, and she said that would be pretty scary.
Congrats on catching all those Kokanee.
[signature]
Wow, that is so cool! I hope you sent the pics to the news so everyone can enjoy that picture. That is one of the best pictures I have ever seen of a funnel cloud.

Mike
[signature]
By the time I got home, there were already multiple photos on KSL.com including videos. All pretty much like my photos. It was really cool to see it in person.
[signature]
My hole life I have wanted to witness such a thing. Picture perfect. The catching would have just been icing on the cake. Correct me if I am wrong but once that touched down didn’t that officially turn it into a tornado? Either way WOW. Once in a lifetime.
[signature]
Four or five years ago I was up fishing out of Buckboard FG and had one just like that touch down maybe 400 yards from us then rolled right over the top. Came in so fast we didn't even have time to raise the downriggers or get our lifejackets on. Honestly thought my boat was going to be new "structure" and me, partner, and dog a statistic. Within 30 seconds we had almost two feet of water in the boat. Scariest thing to ever happen to me on the water!!! Glad no one was injured then or today!
[signature]
Wow! Missed opportunity to see my first tornado. But, thanks for the excellent pictures!
[signature]
Technically, if I remember correctly from my Meteorology classes, it's a funnel cloud if it doesn't touch down. If it touches down on water, it's a waterspout, and only a tornado if it touches down on land. Waterspouts aren't as powerful, and die out sooner because of the weight of the water they suck up.

Yesterday was a nasty one, with funnel clouds or more reported in several locations from Logan to Strawberry.
[signature]
sounds like a great trip.Fog and tornado be careful out there.lol
[signature]
This is some wild weather we are getting here in Utah. I snapped a picture of a funnel cloud on the south side of the Ogden divide yesterday. These things are very cool to watch.......from a distance that is. During my youth I learned how to dodge the real thing that was far more destructive when I lived in the south of tornado ally. I was living in Oklahoma City in 1999 when an EF5 left a mile wide destructive path on May 3 and came to within a mile of my home at the time. We had an in ground shelter we were in. A neighborhood in Dell City next to Tinker AFB was completely leveled.
[signature]
Great pictures and it sounds like a great trip!

Thanks for sharing them both.
[signature]